Sign in to follow this  
SPowell42

Dumb question - CD spins up / Prepar3d pauses

Hi, I've been having an issue on my laptop for at least a month or so....every few minutes the CD makes a noise like something is moving in it, even though there is no CD there. At the same time, prepar3d (and truthfully anything I'm running) pauses. I'm sure this is something simple to fix, any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Probably some background task trying to poll the drives. Look at what you have running in the BG.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Vic, is there a way to actually determine this vs. just randomly trying a ton of different background tasks? I would think somewhere (???) there would be a log showing a thread trying to access that drive or something. Just not sure how to nail down what it might be.

Appreciate the help, this is driving me crazy (and it's not a very long drive...)

Thanks!

Scott

This sounds more like your laptop is overheating CPU/GPU  the fan goes to max but unable to cool all applications running would freeze.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Actually, this likely has to do with internal bus communications (and the chips that control them including the CPU), which in your case is lagging you out a bit. Laptops don't have the available bus bandwidth that desktops do.  Of course it's not just the disk ramping up, but being accessed (read/write), and when you initially place is disk in the CD/DVD drive Windows is going to access it to find out what's there.

As someone already said, it's best to limit background applications from running while using a resource hog like FSX/P3D.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I think I'm leaning towards the overheating idea. Even if the optical drive could spin without a disc, it wouldn't cause anything to pause. However, too high a CPU temp probably would. If you can monitor the temp, I bet you'll find it's going too high. As has already been stated, the fan is going full blast. If that is the case the fan is probably going bad and will need to be replaced. I've had this happen.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.