Sign in to follow this  
irrics

VSync - What do you do?

Hi - I'm curious what everyone here does in terms of VSync..

I assume some use NVIDIA settings and do adaptive half refresh rate to get 30fps?

If you do that, do you then leave it "off" in the XP graphics settings?

Would love to hear some anecdotes about what has provided the best results for people.

Thank you!

I have framerate limited to 60 inside P3D and VSYNC plus Triple Buffering enabled, also inside P3D. Seems to work better for me to let the application handle these instead of the GPU driver. Now with SSAA4x everything looks superb.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

1 minute ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I have framerate limited to 60 inside P3D and VSYNC plus Triple Buffering enabled, also inside P3D. Seems to work better for me to let the application handle these instead of the GPU driver. Now with SSAA4x everything looks superb.

?

P3D?

What about in X-Plane?

I have Vsync Off in both the Nvidia control panel and in X-Plane's graphics menu. On my system that results in the best frame rates.

The only setting I've changed in the Nvidia panel is turning Threaded Optimization Off. That works best on my system but you should experiment with it, because it still seems to be very system-dependent. All other Nvidia settings are Global (set in application).

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Just now, Paraffin said:

I have Vsync Off in both the Nvidia control panel and in X-Plane's graphics menu. On my system that results in the best frame rates.

The only setting I've changed in the Nvidia panel is turning Threaded Optimization Off. That works best on my system but you should experiment with it, because it still seems to be very system-dependent. All other Nvidia settings are Global (set in application).

That's interesting about threaded optimization..

I'm on a 4790k w/ 1060 6GB - I'll have to try it both ways.

Do you find the scenery doesn't tear and is smooth in turns w/o VSync?

That's my main reason for wanting it.  It kills the immersion for me when the scenery is tearing during even a standard rate turn.

Yeah, I'm the same.. call it ocd or whatever but tearing just kills the mood for me... maybe it's time to invest in a G-sync monitor...

2 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

Yeah, I'm the same.. call it ocd or whatever but tearing just kills the mood for me... maybe it's time to invest in a G-sync monitor...

My problem is I love playing on a huge TV now (so no g-sync) - That said, I'll be VR all the time once the next gen of HMD's comes out (along with native XP VR support).

I was blown away last year by VR, but it just didn't have enough resolution yet.  Once that's fixed, that's the future for sure (for me anyhow).

1 hour ago, irrics said:

Do you find the scenery doesn't tear and is smooth in turns w/o VSync?

That's my main reason for wanting it.  It kills the immersion for me when the scenery is tearing during even a standard rate turn.

No scenery tearing here with turning the plane, or even quick head motion with TrackIR.

I almost always turn off Vsync in games like first person shooters too, where there are quick motions like that. Mouse movement gets weird in some of those games with Vsync turned on. I don't see any noticeable tearing there either. It might have something to do with my relatively modest 1920x1200 monitor resolution.

Just now, Paraffin said:

No scenery tearing here with turning the plane, or even quick head motion with TrackIR.

I almost always turn off Vsync in games like first person shooters too, where there are quick motions like that. Mouse movement gets weird in some of those games with Vsync turned on. I don't see any noticeable tearing there either. It might have something to do with my relatively modest 1920x1200 monitor resolution.

Hmm - Do you use Ortho4XP scenery?

I'm only running 1080p myself

I don't use Ortho4XP scenery (not a fan of orthos), just the landclass + OSM autogen. I am using the HD and UHD higher res terrain mesh where it's available for the places I like to fly.

3 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I don't use Ortho4XP scenery (not a fan of orthos), just the landclass + OSM autogen. I am using the HD and UHD higher res terrain mesh where it's available for the places I like to fly.

Hmm - Maybe it's ortho related then (the stutter/judder/vsync or not)..

I enjoy the concept of land class + OSM AutoGen, but sadly in the Western USA, it's just not even a comparison in terms of real world looks.  The land class solution just simply looks wrong vs the real world (especially mountain/hill colors), so it's sort of Ortho or bust for me.

Last night my flight of KBOI, KMYL then to KSUN was simply staggeringly realistic in terms of out the window views (I fly it in real life too).  I'm just blown away with how accurate the feel and look can be.

I wish we had much much better land class & OSM here...

3 hours ago, irrics said:

?

P3D?

What about in X-Plane?

My bad, i didn't notice this was inside the X-Plane forum. I don't use it.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I use the native x plane vsync and don't change any nVidia settings. Using TrackIR with X Camera.

I use a 50 inch 4k TV and use the 4k setting. Without native vsync I get tearing.

My spec is in the signature.

cheers

Peter

I found that turning on vsync inside XP11 reduced frame rates considerably.

However, someone suggested turning it off in XP11 and on in NVidia Inspector at half refresh rate.  I tried that and now have very smooth panning with no tearing.  I know that some are obsessed with finding maximum frame rates.  I am not.  I have a solid 30 fps and smoothness.  Good enough for me.

So, you might give it a try.  Results may vary.

4 hours ago, irrics said:

My problem is I love playing on a huge TV now (so no g-sync) - That said, I'll be VR all the time once the next gen of HMD's comes out (along with native XP VR support).

I was blown away last year by VR, but it just didn't have enough resolution yet.  Once that's fixed, that's the future for sure (for me anyhow).

I am using a 43" 4K monitor, love it ! Nvidia and their stupid tiny G-sync monitors. How anybody can game on a tiny 27" 4k monitor boggles my mind. Next year should be the year for TVs as Monitors - Oled, HDR, Freesync 2, HFR(High Frame Rate) !

4K VR please !!!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar