Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

Lighting Update

DTG are at least sticking to the tried and trusted path of flight simulators Not Pleasing Everybody :biggrin:

Ray Fry.

• Upvote 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

I have found it rather humorous that all of the ATC voices are now very properly "British". I really do hope that DTG will eventually provide proper regionalization for ATC voicing. Currently they sound really strange coming from controllers/towers here in the Midwest! :ha:

To be fair, we've had over ten years of Yank voices vectoring us into Birmingham (in the Midlands) and Manchester (in the north west) in FSX (and I mean the real, original Birmingham, home of classic rifles, motorcycles etc, not the one in Alabama), and the real Manchester (the one where it rains all the time, where the Hacienda was and home of pretty much every decent indie band ever), not the one in New Hampshire, and that would also be the real Hamspshire (where Jane Austen and Charles Dickens were from, so... erm, home of classic literature - struggled to think of some stufff for a moment - and the home of the original capital of England, for another slightly lame/dubious clame to fame), not the 'new' one, lol, so it's kinda redressing the geographical balance. :laugh:

To be honest however, I also think it would be weird to be vectored into Biggin Hill by a Geordie lol.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just think of FSW ATC as Downton Abbey Tower:

"The runway is clear your Lordship, would you care to line up and wait?"

The latest update is a big improvement to the appearance of the scenery, I think the sky colour/color still has a hint of violet which needs adjusting out. I haven't got round to the Mission Editor yet, I haven't even flown a mission actually - been too busy with lessons and free flight mode so far...

Not perfect at all times but agreed, the lighting improvements have upped the realism quite a lot.

On the other hand I seem to be getting lots of micro-stuttering which I didn't have before.

Getting more enthusiastic about the potential for this sim with each update.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

5 hours ago, A32xx said:

"The runway is clear your Lordship, would you care to line up and wait?"

Yes please, and have the flight attendant bring me some tea and crumpets whilst we wait for clearance.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

6 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Not perfect at all times but agreed, the lighting improvements have upped the realism quite a lot.

On the other hand I seem to be getting lots of micro-stuttering which I didn't have before.

Getting more enthusiastic about the potential for this sim with each update.

my performance is down as well.  and Im getting CTD's if I try to takeoff from KDAL in the DA42 using Cold Fronts.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

With regard to updating the lighting from FSX to FSW, this reminds me of something which has always bothered me about many flight simulators - the nav and position lights on FS aeroplanes. To be honest, it's generally not very convincing at all, even on expensive payware aircraft or with utilities which can tweak the lights, such as REX, and what is even worse, is that if memory serves, I recall the aeroplane lights on most FS9 aeroplanes tended to be better than it typically is in FSX.

I can recall sitting on the grass at the holding point at EGCD a few years ago whilst a SAAB 35 Draken jet fighter was positioned and holding for take off, so that thing was about 40 feet away from me, and the nav and position lights on that thing were incredibly intensely bright at that proximity, as indeed they are on most aeroplanes for obvious reasons. But in FS, the aeroplane lights are often weedy washed out affairs to such an extent that one can barely even tell if the things are switched on.

Nowadays, many aeroplanes are using LED lights as opposed to the older filament-based technology, and I don't know about you, but I can tell from literally miles away when an airliner coming into my local airport has those LEDs fitted, because they are vastly brighter than older filament lights, so unless the nav and position lights in sims are improved, the effect will be even less convincing than it already is, given how intense the new LED nav lights appear in real life.

I hope when DTG are considering tweaks and improvements, they might consider seeing what they can do about this.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

reunion tower.  You can look that up and find lots of pics showing what Dallas actually looks like during both day and night.  I think the previous lighting was closer and certainly could be made closer.  I like the new haze effect but its just too pale and too dark overall.  I don't really need a desert to be "not too bright"...not if it means Dallas has to look unrealistically dark and pale.(on a sunny summer afternoon)

maybe Orbx should adjust their textures.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

On 17/06/2017 at 0:34 PM, Chock said:

But in FS, the aeroplane lights are often weedy washed out affairs to such an extent that one can barely even tell if the things are switched on.

Sadly, I don't think that there's a lot you can do about that. I worked in the development cell at a real-world flight sim complex for 3 years and the aircraft lights were no better than we have. They even had to scale up the number of pixels used by each light at medium/long range so that it was possible (but still difficult) to see them. You're limited by the maximum light output of the projector (or the monitor, in our case) - you can just never reproduce the intensity of real-world lights.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit