Sign in to follow this  
captain_adf

Favorite PMDG aircraft sound

The one sound that always gets me going is when pressurizing the hydraulics in the NGX.  After the meticulous preflight setup, when I finally get to powering up the hydraulic pumps to hear that high pitched whine, it's a sure sign that I'm just about ready to go.

A close second is "brakes off here we go" during the pushback sequence.  I actually say that in my car every time I start to back out of the driveway!

Ah, good stuff coming our way in p3dv4 real soon :)

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

My favorite is the Queen with GEs during descent when the throttles retard and there is a loud very low frequency rumble.  My subwoofer at my feet adds the sensation to my chair.  It's great.

Dan Downs KCRP

Just now, downscc said:

subwoofer adds the sensation to my chair.  It's great.

Couldn't agree more, I personally like the 'thud' in the seat at touchdown.

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

55 minutes ago, downscc said:

My favorite is the Queen with GEs during descent when the throttles retard and there is a loud very low frequency rumble.  My subwoofer at my feet adds the sensation to my chair.  It's great.

Yupppppppp!  Couldn't agree more

Spot on!  I have a sub-woofer at my feet too and in the 737 NGX when you reduce the throttle you hear a low frequency "groan" which is cool as all get-out.

Mark Trainer

One which really made an impression on me was a sound in the new version of the 747-400. I had programmed the FMC to maintain 240 knots below 10,000 feet on a flight out of Manchester, and then allow a speed increase when it got above 10,000. I was watching the altimeter and getting ready to knock the landing lights off as I passed 10,000 feet when the autothrottle pushed up the power to the engines as it passed 10,000 feet, and the sound of the engines cranking up to get it climbing at a faster speed was really dramatic. Dunno if you can hear it that well in a real 747-400 from the cockpit or whether my sim settings allowed it, but when those four engines went into overdrive, I just thought: 'oh yeah, baby, now that's what I'm talking about!'

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

For me, it's the GE90's on startup.

• Upvote 4

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Engine starts in general, don't know what it is I just love all the sounds associated with it. From the sudden silence as the A/C stops followed by the low grumble as the engines slowly wind up sometimes causing windows and cabin panels to vibrate.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

39 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

Have to agree with you on this one.  Incredibly realistic startup sounds.  When I'm in my office at JFK, I probably hear 10 of these starting up throughout the day.  

• Upvote 1

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

TO/GA on the runway with all Boeings and the first couple of seconds after TO/GA with 737. That is the only moment I turn on the sound to maximum.

• Upvote 1

Ahmet Can

Speedbrake extended in flghts. The low frequency sound makes me feel that the plane is shaking. With the 'ding' sound of seatbelt signs it reminds my 'passengers' that they should go back to seats.

12 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

Yeah!

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

13 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

The GE90 at startup are the way to my heart. If I was dating again the woman I marry has to be able to know what that sound is. One day I was going through terminal B in real life at KEWR.  There was an Air India 777 starting up and I was right behind it inside the building. But even in that building I heard that rumble and I looked and there it was. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

• GE90s on startup
  • NGX when retarding the throttles at TOD
  • Taxiway bumps in the 747

While our soundsets have certainly advanced since then, I'm still partial to the NGX I think - we spent a crazy amount of time getting that right (including precisely matching the pitch frequencies of the soundset to recordings of the real engines stopping at each 10% of N1) and I'll never forget sitting up near the front on a real 737NG for the first time after we'd developed ours and hearing the engines come up at takeoff. It sounded exactly like the NGX does and I had this huge grin on my face - the passengers next to me probably wondered if I was nuts haha.

• Upvote 1

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com