Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

CTD When Clicking on 777 PFD P3Dv4

I have yet to finish a flight of 4 hours or longer with the 777 in P3Dv4.

Either the sim just CTD or CTD's when I click on the CA side PFD, I am looking at trying a flight only using the FO side PFD. There is no error code left in the Event Viewer or APP CRASH. I have had a bglman error code recently.

I don't believe I am pushing the system anymore than I did in v3

Is anyone else having this issue, of so have you found a solution. It is kind of a waste of time and disappointing to fly 4400 miles only to CTD on decent.

Thanks

Randy Smith 

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

No, I have done a 17hr real time flight in the 747 without a problem.  No hint of anything.  However I messed up my sim completely with bad airport add-ons.....read Mr Randazzo's topic on the problem of supposedly compatible scenery only being given a new installer but without being properly checked for 64bit code errors.

Maybe go through your v4 Folder and remove add-on scenery, then see how you go.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ian McPhail said:

No, I have done a 17hr real time flight in the 747 without a problem.  No hint of anything.  However I messed up my sim completely with bad airport add-ons.....read Mr Randazzo's topic on the problem of supposedly compatible scenery only being given a new installer but without being properly checked for 64bit code errors.

Maybe go through your v4 Folder and remove add-on scenery, then see how you go.

I guess I am confused why that would affect only the FO side PFD.

Randy

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

5 hours ago, flynman33 said:

I guess I am confused why that would affect only the FO side PFD.

Randy

My v4 crashed when resizing the atc popup window. well, I was flying the 747 to FlyTampas CYUL.. Since I have sorted out one airport after the other I have a very stable P3Dv4. Not the best reputaion for FT but well, that's how it behaves..

The CAPT PFD crash was something that occurred in P3Dv3. I was wondering whether it had been eliminated in v4. Haven't done one of my favourite flights that caused this crash yet.

David Porrett

The left outboard display unit, usually the Capt PFD, has had this problem since P3Dv3.0 and since the error is not in PMDG code there is no way PMDG alone can trace it and find it.  LM offered to help find the bug but want PMDG source code to do so, which is an unreasonable request.  PMDG continues to try to get rid of this pesky bug.... we are testing different beta modules on an on going basis.

Don't use the left PFD 2d popup. Simple.  If you need a 2D popup, use the FO popup. It does not have this problem, or any other popup for that matter.

Dan Downs KCRP

I don't have this...

I tried to use the pop-up PFD window on Capt side during the descent phase of a 10 hrs flight because I can't see it clearly in VC. No problem. 

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

11 hours ago, downscc said:

The left outboard display unit, usually the Capt PFD, has had this problem since P3Dv3.0 and since the error is not in PMDG code there is no way PMDG alone can trace it and find it.  LM offered to help find the bug but want PMDG source code to do so, which is an unreasonable request.  PMDG continues to try to get rid of this pesky bug.... we are testing different beta modules on an on going basis.

Don't use the left PFD 2d popup. Simple.  If you need a 2D popup, use the FO popup. It does not have this problem, or any other popup for that matter.

Using the F/O side is what I have began to do. Last night I set up a EHAM/CYVR 10.5hr flight with no issues. In fact I left the FMC and the F/O PFD in pop out mode the entire way.  I am currently doing a 14.5 hour flight VHHH/to Flightbeam KMSP, 10 hours and still going.

I guess I am baffled why there is a different behavior between left and right instruments, after all aren't they same gauge?

Randy Smith

14 hours ago, flynman33 said:

I guess I am baffled why there is a different behavior between left and right instruments, after all aren't they same gauge?

Everybody is baffled including the developers, it is just a different instance of the same gauge and the same code does the 2D popup function.

1 hour ago, medic89 said:

It looks like LM has found the problem which is a non-english configured os.

I don't see the connection.  There was a pretty active group of us in the LM forum about a year ago trying to isolate this bug, and one of the things we first ruled out was mixed language runtime modules.  Now, an OS configured for a different language may create problems but English is my only language and I can reliably trigger this event every time.  Most people don't have this problem, and that's just one more thing that baffles us.

Dan Downs KCRP

ive had this exact same problem, with every version of the FSX, P3Dv3, and V4 idk what it is. but i never have it with any other airplane. 

Gents,

This problem did not exist prior to Prepar3D v3  (specifically, 3.1, I believe? I might be wrong on the sub-version number...) but it persists through v4.x today.

Lockheed Martin did **something** under the hood which is clearly creating some kind of issue that takes time to manifest itself and cause a CTD.  What we know is this:

• It is a CTD that happens somewhere between 4-7hrs of actual clock time operation of the simulator if the user has at any point clicked on the captains PFD in order to use it as a pop-up.
  • It affects only a very small percentage of users, but those who never see the CTD and those who DO get it- get it every time if they use the Captain's PFD as a pop up.
  • It can be avoided by not using the Captain's PFD as a pop-up.  (Use the FO's if you need one popped up.)
  • We believe it to be some kind of buffer that takes hours to overflow, thus creating the unhandled exception that kills the sim.
  • We have no idea why it happens on the left side and not the right.
  • We have invested a massive amount of effort over the past 18 months trying to identify patterns, potential causes and solutions- without any luck or even the slightest hint of information to tell us where/when/how this happens.
  • We have pleaded for help from Lockheed Martin, but thus far we haven't convinced them to take more than a cursory look at the issue.  (You have to be willing to invest 5+hrs with the sim running in order to capture it- it isn't easy to do this kind of capture in a corporate development environment.)
  • We have followed every recommendation that Lockheed has handed to us, without any change in the behavior.

In conclusion- we are absolutely convinced that something within Prepar3D v3 changed the way the simulator interacts with the process that is used to create the pop-up display, and some obscure error in Prepar3D itself is creating this persistently annoying issue for a small subset of customers.

We have produced approximately 2 dozen test modules to see if we cannot isolate the issue or find data to help Lockheed Martin identify specific areas on THEIR platform that might be causing the issue- but we haven't succeeded yet.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

1 hour ago, rsrandazzo said:

Gents,

This problem did not exist prior to Prepar3D v3  (specifically, 3.1, I believe? I might be wrong on the sub-version number...) but it persists through v4.x today.

Lockheed Martin did **something** under the hood which is clearly creating some kind of issue that takes time to manifest itself and cause a CTD.  What we know is this:

• It is a CTD that happens somewhere between 4-7hrs of actual clock time operation of the simulator if the user has at any point clicked on the captains PFD in order to use it as a pop-up.
  • It affects only a very small percentage of users, but those who never see the CTD and those who DO get it- get it every time if they use the Captain's PFD as a pop up.
  • It can be avoided by not using the Captain's PFD as a pop-up.  (Use the FO's if you need one popped up.)
  • We believe it to be some kind of buffer that takes hours to overflow, thus creating the unhandled exception that kills the sim.
  • We have no idea why it happens on the left side and not the right.
  • We have invested a massive amount of effort over the past 18 months trying to identify patterns, potential causes and solutions- without any luck or even the slightest hint of information to tell us where/when/how this happens.
  • We have pleaded for help from Lockheed Martin, but thus far we haven't convinced them to take more than a cursory look at the issue.  (You have to be willing to invest 5+hrs with the sim running in order to capture it- it isn't easy to do this kind of capture in a corporate development environment.)
  • We have followed every recommendation that Lockheed has handed to us, without any change in the behavior.

In conclusion- we are absolutely convinced that something within Prepar3D v3 changed the way the simulator interacts with the process that is used to create the pop-up display, and some obscure error in Prepar3D itself is creating this persistently annoying issue for a small subset of customers.

We have produced approximately 2 dozen test modules to see if we cannot isolate the issue or find data to help Lockheed Martin identify specific areas on THEIR platform that might be causing the issue- but we haven't succeeded yet.

Hi,

Maybe a idea to make an option in PMDG Operations Center for those who have problems with this issue, a option to disable all 2D popup windows maybe, as long this issue goes on?

My thought's only.. :males:

I just did my "favourite" flight and again induced the crash. Is it possible to disable the CAPT popup by commenting out the [Window07] entry in the panel.cfg to disable the CAPT popup without doing any harm? My idea is to avoid out of habit accidentally popping up the CAPT side during a long flight and risk having the crash.

David Porrett

9 hours ago, Bakern said:

Maybe a idea to make an option in PMDG Operations Center for those who have problems with this issue, a option to disable all 2D popup windows maybe, as long this issue goes on?

Just don't use it.

8 hours ago, DavidP said:

I just did my "favourite" flight and again induced the crash. Is it possible to disable the CAPT popup by commenting out the [Window07] entry in the panel.cfg to disable the CAPT popup without doing any harm? My idea is to avoid out of habit accidentally popping up the CAPT side during a long flight and risk having the crash.

If you inadvertently use the popup simply save your flight, exit and restart P3D and load the saved flight.  This erases the effects of using the popup.

Dan Downs KCRP