Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Valuable P3D advice, must read.

My guess is many will ignore this and fix version 4 until it is broken. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

LOL!  Rob writes that post here, the other website copies it (I'd have thought a link would have been better, but ok), and we post a link to the copied article here, where the original article is!  LOL!!! 

• Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

9 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

LOL!  Rob writes that post here, the other website copies it (I'd have thought a link would have been better, but ok), and we post a link to the copied article here, where the original article is!  LOL!!! 

Guess more people need to read this, quite a few posts on FB and other forums where people have already caused problems by shoehorning things into V4 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Yes, good advice. However, in the fifth para I noted the following statement:

"Do NOT use utilities designed to allow you to “unify” your installations by feeding non-Prepar3D v4 scenery/utilities into Prepar3D v4."

ORBX FTX Central 3 immediately springs to mind and it's LC Unification process. I have all the P3D4 ORBX regions installed via FTX Central 3 and everything proceeded uneventfully. This process uses local content where appropriate and available from a previous installation (P3D3). have not noted any downsides so far*. Perhaps the above advice was not directed specifically at FTX Central 3. Also, I feel certain that ORBX are very savvy about such matters.

*My only gripe with the unification process (and the Migration Troubleshooter) is the reorganisation of FTX entries in scenery.cfg to re-establish priority over everything else. If you forget to copy and cut any entries above the ORBX entries (for example, the 3 Scotflight entries) before running the Forced Migration module, you will find yourself faced with a replacement/renumbering headache to reinstate your preferred status quo. Better to paste back your own entries using Notepad++ after FTX Central 3 has finished.

Mike

FTX Central do not unify install over platforms. It just manage installations, but all sims have own files and files relevant to simulator version. There are differences between FSX, P3D2/3 files and v4 will get own files too when there will be something extra.

Anyway ORBX still installs into P3D folder and not just into ORBX folder, but replaces original files or will add extra files to default scenery folder (scenery/world/scenery) install effects and sounds into P3D folders... 

• Upvote 1

This statement is just plain crazy:

"Before you install ANYTHING into Prepar3D v4, you should take the time to research whether the developer merely adjusted their installer to account for Prepar3D v4, or whether the developer actually took the time to re-export BOTH the code elements AND the model elements of a product using the developer/SDK tools that were provided by Lockheed Martin for use with Prepar3D v4."

How do you do that? How many folks even know what Rob's talking about? How would anyone find this information? If this is what it takes for a "stable" platform it ain't ever going to happen..........Doug

• Upvote 6

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

Yes, good advice. However, in the fifth para I noted the following statement:

"Do NOT use utilities designed to allow you to “unify” your installations by feeding non-Prepar3D v4 scenery/utilities into Prepar3D v4."

ORBX FTX Central 3 immediately springs to mind and it's LC Unification process. I have all the P3D4 ORBX regions installed via FTX Central 3 and everything proceeded uneventfully. This process uses local content where appropriate and available from a previous installation (P3D3). have not noted any downsides so far*. Perhaps the above advice was not directed specifically at FTX Central 3. Also, I feel certain that ORBX are very savvy about such matters.

*My only gripe with the unification process (and the Migration Troubleshooter) is the reorganisation of FTX entries in scenery.cfg to re-establish priority over everything else. If you forget to copy and cut any entries above the ORBX entries (for example, the 3 Scotflight entries) before running the Forced Migration module, you will find yourself faced with a replacement/renumbering headache to reinstate your preferred status quo. Better to paste back your own entries using Notepad++ after FTX Central 3 has finished.

Mike

Isn't that what the FTX insertion point tool is for in FTX Central? It works fine for me and ensures anything I want to have priority over FTX entries stays that way.

With those things, considered- here are some rules to live by:
• Do NOT install aircraft, scenery, utilities into Prepar3D v4 that were not designed using the Prepar3D v4 SDK. (Re-read that sentence it is important!)
• Do NOT force Prepar3D v4 to utilize scenery that you previously had installed for Prepar3D v3, FSX, FSX-SE (or yes… XPL!)

I don't think this is an absolute rule. And I don't think it's going to ruin a perfectly good sim if you happen to find a scenery that works fine. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, just remove it. I'm more of a I'll-find-out-myself kind of guy. I don't need somebody telling me what is right and wrong for MY sim.

• Upvote 4

I read about folks on forums all over throwing all kinds of stuff into V4 and then having crashes. I think holding back is a good idea. I've put very little into my V4 set up as I am waiting for proper updated addons. I have not done any tweaks either. At the moment my V4 is working extremely well and looks great. However, I am getting tired of trying to go everywhere in a Lockheed Electra 10 or a Beaver...:laugh:

• Upvote 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

1 - If the addon's installer wants to place anything within the core sim... think twice.  Seriously.  It's neither required nor preferred by L-M.

2 - If you don't know if the addon has been developed with the correct SDK.  Ask.  Simple as that.

I am a developer... and I am telling you, it is time you held developers accountable for doing the right thing... not the quick thing.  It's really quick to make a new installer that knows how to find the new sim and install files the old way.  It is not appropriate to do that.  As developers we should be doing what's right, not what's easy.

• Upvote 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

For future sanity, this is what I am doing:  

1. I have a P3Dv3 install with just the client

2. I install my P3Dv3 scenery add-ons there to see what files they put down and where, which file they modify etc.

3. Then I create a folder in P3Dv4 addons and follow the add-on.xml method.  

4. Test with the content error check turned on.  If I see there are error, I simple disable/remove and move on.

Eventually, I will have all my add ons outside and then have a very clean sim install.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

55 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Isn't that what the FTX insertion point tool is for in FTX Central? It works fine for me and ensures anything I want to have priority over FTX entries stays that way.

Hi Glenn,

Would you believe it, I forgot about that! I'll check it out next time this happens. Clearly ORBX have had the foresight to cover all the bases. When I think of the time I wasted last night! Ugh! Idiot! It's really a case of old habits dying hard.

Thanks for the reminder.

Regards,

Mike

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

This statement is just plain crazy:

"Before you install ANYTHING into Prepar3D v4, you should take the time to research whether the developer merely adjusted their installer to account for Prepar3D v4, or whether the developer actually took the time to re-export BOTH the code elements AND the model elements of a product using the developer/SDK tools that were provided by Lockheed Martin for use with Prepar3D v4."

How do you do that? How many folks even know what Rob's talking about? How would anyone find this information? If this is what it takes for a "stable" platform it ain't ever going to happen..........Doug

Why would it not ever happen????

If the developers didn't take the easy way out, it would happen.

If people read what Rob posted, they would know what he was talking about. Rob does a pretty good job keeping things stupid simple. Besides,he spelled it out in the article he wrote.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

59 minutes ago, AviatorMoser said:

I don't think this is an absolute rule. And I don't think it's going to ruin a perfectly good sim if you happen to find a scenery that works fine. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, just remove it. I'm more of a I'll-find-out-myself kind of guy. I don't need somebody telling me what is right and wrong for MY sim.

You don't think it's an absolute rule??? Based off of what?

Seriously, you have a well known developer literally telling you that his support team is seeing problems with what people are doing to p3d v4 but you don't believe it. He's telling you that the massive performance drops with the dynamic lighting is being caused by people throwing in p3d v3 sceneries not optimized for p3d v4, but you don't believe him.

What would it take for someone to convince you of these things he wrote about.

Is that your approach to your health. You don't want a someone who knows about the human body  way more than you do telling you how to be healthy and what you should and shouldn't do to you body? I'm sure you'll just find out and see?

I seriously don't  understant the logic of people in this community anymore.

The smartest thing I have ever learned was to learn from other people's mistakes so I don't make the same ones.

Apparently, that is lost on the avsim  community.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda