Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

ORBX: Lowi and Meigs for Aerofly FS2 Released

Pretty sure its Lowi

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Yes, if you purchase through Orbx rather than Steam, you need to do it through FTX central.

Essentially, if you start central and receive the latest update, it will begin to list Aerofly as an available option for further purchases. If it doesn't, then start Aerofly at least once and open central again.

Started FTX Central 3, applied the update (happened instantaneously) and low and behold Aerofly FS2 is now listed. Both LOWI and KCGX purchased and safely installed! 

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mike

21 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi,

Can I ask how these ORBX products are installed into Aerofly FS2? Reference is made to the use of FTX Central but I thought this was orientated towards FSX and P3D. Am I missing something or just being stupid? Obviously it would be nice to do this through FTX Central as it will handle any necessary updating.

Regards,

Mike

With the last update to FTX central, AF2 comes up as an option for sim choice as long as it is installed. It really is effortless to install via FTX central, I'd suggest doing it this way rather than via steam.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

FWIW the Steam install is totally without pain.

I told it I wanted it, it knows my Paypal particulars (gulp!) and next time I started FS2 it was available. Simple as that, and after decades of messing with flight simulator machine language level stuff, exactly what I am looking for.

5 hours ago, WingZ said:

FWIW the Steam install is totally without pain.

I told it I wanted it, it knows my Paypal particulars (gulp!) and next time I started FS2 it was available. Simple as that, and after decades of messing with flight simulator machine language level stuff, exactly what I am looking for.

Steam is awesome. Even though FTX Central is nice and quite easy too, I have used it in the past, Steam is even better. Specially when you need to do a reinstall. One click and done. No need for extra software, extra logins, extra manual selections, etc. Steam simply is the easiest way to get things done. (And being able to refund things no questions asked is a nice and reassuring bonus too.) 

7 minutes ago, J van E said:

Steam is awesome. Even though FTX Central is nice and quite easy too, I have used it in the past, Steam is even better. Specially when you need to do a reinstall. One click and done. No need for extra software, extra logins, extra manual selections, etc. Steam simply is the easiest way to get things done. (And being able to refund things no questions asked is a nice and reassuring bonus too.) 

Fully agree - I am totally Steamed :-)

Specially the Game Backup feature, great for an uninstaller like me...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:57 AM, OzWhitey said:

I have acquired both. Dawn of a new era.

pug, I don't think Orbx has announced socal, and it sounds unlikely seeing as that's already covered by ipacs in the default sim. Orbx is releasing their existing airports, with extended photoreal surrounds. Their regions work primarily on landclass technology, which is not the way that AF2 is designed.

I read somewhere that Orbx was making socal with their own photoscnery.  Will have to wait and see I guess.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

28 minutes ago, pugilist2 said:

I read somewhere that Orbx was making socal with their own photoscnery.  Will have to wait and see I guess.

I didn't read that but I did read they plan on creating regions but in the case of AFS2 it will be photoreal regions. The most logical one to start with, according to Orbx's CEO, was PNW, also because they have a ton of airports for that region so as soon as the region is done, they can deliver the goods. And cash in.

I will stay away from anything out of Europe... I have to use parsimony because my resources are limited...

Using AEFS2 only with Swiss and now LOWI... Looking forward for more European regions.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

9 hours ago, jcomm said:

I will stay away from anything out of Europe... I have to use parsimony because my resources are limited...

Using AEFS2 only with Swiss and now LOWI... Looking forward for more European regions.

I was wondering: what do you think about the Swiss DLC...? I don't own it because on screenshots it always looked a bit fake... over the top bright colors and so on. Hardly any autogen. Too cartoonish. How does it compare with LOWI...? LOWI is already more colorful than the default US regions (and also NY) but it's still pretty realistic. I'd like to add Swiss to my setup because I also like to fly in Europe. I also read that forests have been done differently in the Swiss: some sort of mesh has been used to mimick forests instead of autogen trees. All in all I don't really dare to get it. (Which is kinda stupid because while I type this I am thinking 'You can ask a refund if it sucks...!') Anyway, I'd still like to hear some views on Switzerland, specially now LOWI has been released.

Well Jeroen, there's not much I can write to help you with your decision since you've pretty much identified the major characteristics of that scenery. It is an updated version of the original AEFS1 scenery, with navaids and more airport detail at some airports / airfields, but out of those zones you see mostly flat / ortho textured houses and other structures, not 3d autogen.

For me this is more than enough, and I would really prefer to see AEFS2 implementing some sort of night lighting for it and AEFS2 native sceneries. At least it is much more detailed than anything around in Europe, and with the upcoming tools maybe we can get something here for my region too....

BTW: Check http://www.aeroflycentral.com/articles/25 for a nice "review" of one of the airfields available in the Swiss scenery area. The site "aeroflycentral" that you for sure have already bookmarked is also a great info source for the AEFS2 user community.

Main Simulation Rig:

Thanks for the info and the link to that review, jcomm. (And yes, that site was already bookmarked! :happy: ) That airfield looks pretty okay... so maybe I will get the DLC anyway: it is pretty cheap after all. But those flat houses which you can see on one screenshot look horrible... I guess we will have to get used to that for now. At a certain altitude things may look nice nonetheless. 

9 hours ago, J van E said:

That airfield looks pretty okay... so maybe I will get the DLC anyway: it is pretty cheap after all.

Yes, Swiss DLC is actually cheap. Great mountain scenery with good photo resolution (better than LOWI).

9 hours ago, J van E said:

But those flat houses which you can see on one screenshot look horrible... I guess we will have to get used to that for now. At a certain altitude things may look nice nonetheless. 

But those flat houses are scattered all over the "Aerofly world".  And I find it acceptable.

The many flat houses must not be allowed to distract us - then we may end up in a plane crash.... :blush:

What I am hoping is that with the technology that Orbx is working on to create wide area Ortho-autogen, and Ipacs similar process which I think they will eventually release to the public, that there will be an explosion of housing across once barren areas.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5