Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Please lets have consistent airport lighting for P3Dv4 and beyond!

The airport lighting at the default airports look much better than most third party ones I've seen. No more floating lights above the runway and the size of the lights are smaller and much more realistic than the ones i see at like FSDT and FB airports. I am asking if third party airport developers can please use the default lighting in P3Dv4 instead. Being consistent here would make the experience so much better. Especially when flying from airport to airport. I've never really like the runway lighting that third party airport developers used. If you look at them closely and compare to the default lighting then you should notice how unrealistic and ugly they look. P3Dv4 has updated its entire lighting engine so i really hope that we will see more consistent lighting acoss all airports from now on. This is one thing i really appreciated in X-Plane, the lighting is consistent everywhere between stock and third party scenery. Thats the key here and in the end will make things more polished. It's being consistent across the board so please take this into consideration. 

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

25 minutes ago, captain420 said:

The airport lighting at the default airports look much better than most third party ones I've seen. No more floating lights above the runway and the size of the lights are smaller and much more realistic than the ones i see at like FSDT and FB airports. I am asking if third party airport developers can please use the default lighting in P3Dv4 instead. Being consistent here would make the experience so much better. Especially when flying from airport to airport. I've never really like the runway lighting that third party airport developers used. If you look at them closely and compare to the default lighting then you should notice how unrealistic and ugly they look. P3Dv4 has updated its entire lighting engine so i really hope that we will see more consistent lighting acoss all airports from now on. This is one thing i really appreciated in X-Plane, the lighting is consistent everywhere between stock and third party scenery. Thats the key here and in the end will make things more polished. It's being consistent across the board so please take this into consideration. 

I see you mentioned floating lights. I saw such one at KLAX (FSDT) near a runway. A white floating bulb...

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Floating lights don't seem to be a problem in P3D v4 anymore, the lighting engine has been updated and I much prefer this lighting instead over the ones that 3rd party developers are using. Each 3rd party developer are using different textures, methods etc for their airport or runway lights, so in the end, what we see is an unconsistent mess between different airports. This ruins the immersion for me as I don't like to fly from one airport to another and see a dramatical difference between the lighting that each scenery or developer uses. So the purpose of this thread is to express my concerns and opinions so that in the future we can all see more consistent airport lighting if the developers would stick to the default ones in P3D v4.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

Floating lights don't seem to be a problem in P3D v4 anymore, the lighting engine has been updated and I much prefer this lighting instead over the ones that 3rd party developers are using.

Strange, because at KLAX I saw a floating white bulb near the runway when rolling down.

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

I'm seeing floating lights all over the place lol... and to be honest, it ain't good enough, especially at payware airports... and what's all this with differing sized lights, glow etc from the same payware vendors between one airport and another?! Sloppy sloppy sloppy... and it's a shame, because overall there is some great third party scenery available, but wow... i don't understand why there is absolutely no consistency.

And on another similar note, websites... wow again... they generally suck, are out of date, pic previews have links that don't work.. very poor across the board. It's like going back 10 years... usability is key for a website to bring in, tempt and make someone buy your wares, yet the flight sim world seems like it's stuck in the dark ages and it's mostly a pain at best to make a decision based on what you're presented with.. crazy.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stripealipe said:

I'm seeing floating lights all over the place lol... and to be honest, it ain't good enough, especially at payware airports...

Well, perhaps they need time to go with the flow? Fast pace of changes?

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote.

12 minutes ago, stripealipe said:

and what's all this with differing sized lights, glow etc from the same payware vendors between one airport and another?! Sloppy sloppy sloppy... and it's a shame, because overall there is some great third party scenery available, but wow... i don't understand why there is absolutely no consistency.

That is the issue that I am talking about. I really hope that they can do something and all stick to 1 form of lighting. LM needs to perfect/optimize their lighting engine so that third party developers can all use it insetad of each one using their own, that creates a total mess. X-Plane has the lighting issue nailed almost perfectly and I hope P3D v4 can follow in the same footsteps.

29 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Floating lights don't seem to be a problem in P3D v4 anymore, the lighting engine has been updated and I much prefer this lighting instead over the ones that 3rd party developers are using. Each 3rd party developer are using different textures, methods etc for their airport or runway lights, so in the end, what we see is an unconsistent mess between different airports. This ruins the immersion for me as I don't like to fly from one airport to another and see a dramatical difference between the lighting that each scenery or developer uses. So the purpose of this thread is to express my concerns and opinions so that in the future we can all see more consistent airport lighting if the developers would stick to the default ones in P3D v4.

I've got floating lights in V4

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Sure, but it's not even like they use their own.. they just pick a random one out of the hat for every airport they create it seems... weird if you ask me... i understand new tech/code comes into play and so the next greatest airport comes along and it's using new lighting etc, but i do wonder why they don't then update their older airports to bring them up to spec. We have FS9 creations that haven't been touched for years that have simply been hacked to make them work in newer versions of the sim. And that's poor tbh.. take them off your website if you're not going to support them in any way.

• Upvote 2

Can someone confirm FSDT's KIAH is still not P3D V4 compat?

0LNwNEm.jpg

Or, perhaps night preview has some issues...

9 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

I've got floating lights in V4

Really? I will have to look more closely again then to see if the default runway lights are still floating. If so, this is such a shame to have floating lights in a modern flight simulator. I thought P3D v4 had reworked the entire lighting engine?

1 minute ago, Piotr007 said:

Can someone confirm FSDT's KIAH is still not P3D V4 compat?

0LNwNEm.jpg

I'm not sure if its 100% compatible, but from reading what others have said, they made their installers compatible. Other than that I believe the scenery is still the same.

I can confirm the Night Preview does not work at those airports. BTW, at KIAH I have heavy stutters. Also runway flickering.

Night preview never seemed to work, in order to get the full night lighting at any airport, you have to actually "LOAD" up into night time. 

17 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Night preview never seemed to work, in order to get the full night lighting at any airport, you have to actually "LOAD" up into night time. 

Do you perhaps know what might cause the half second stutter each 3 seconds I experience? I have affinitymask=84 set. Perhaps it causes issues. But without it I run KLAX at aprox. 14 fps. So I need core 0 for system stuf,,