Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

What SLI Looks Like In V4

The GPU-Z shots are slightly staggered in time but there is 1 for each  EVGA GTX 1070 SC (Best Buy Version).  As you can see there is respectable performance and distribution of load.  At the bottom of the 2nd graph you can see the SLI mix
At full 4k the core clocks jump to over 2200mhz and the fans kick in.

p3dsli.png

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

That literally says nothing about SLI, as both cards can kick into high gear even when there's only a basic SLI profile that doesn't even work, you might see two cards huffing away at full bore and not see a single digit FPS increase. Just increased frametimes and a higher powerbill. What you need to compare is framerate, pure and simple. P3D is extremely CPU dependant, everything from terrain rendering, autogen, core rendering of the game, weather, addons, everything is done by the CPU. 

You can make the GPU work harder by upping shadow quality, AA, Tessellation etc. but in most scenarios for most people's settings, it's the CPU that determines your framerate.

If the SLI profile is bad or non-existent, you might see an actual performance decrease and regardless, two cards rendering increases the time to display a frame, so your sim might even end up feeling more sluggish and juddery.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

SLI is nice if you are in 4k + or with multi-monitors IMO.

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Just now, bean_sprout said:

SLI is nice if you are in 4k + or with multi-monitors IMO.

Regards

bs

Sure, you can increase the GPU load to a point where the extra power provided by SLI is beneficial. However, it is completely impossible to measure the benefits of SLI by looking at each card's load, it says nothing about what they are actually doing. You can pretty much take any game, regardless of SLI support, head into Nvidia Profile Inspector and add an AFR flag to it. That tends to kick both cards into high gear, making it look like they are both working overtime at rendering the game. However, it doesn't actually do anything to the game. Will most likely make the experience worse, if anything. 

Even under working conditions, with a good SLI profile and solid scaling, you are still adding additional rendering time to each frame and potentially adding microstuttering, due to the very nature of SLI. You are also at the mercy of both the developer and Nvidia at providing a working profile. We had several months under P3Dv3 recently, after an update, where the SLI profile didn't really work well and introduced a ton of effect flashing, shimmering etc. So you just had to disable SLI and suddenly you were forced to be on a single card, unless you didn't update of course.

SLI in general is just a headache to deal with. Always go for the fastest single card you can afford and don't look back.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I agree with your observations but practically SLI has gotten much better with current drivers and I have a smoother sim in SLI.  Also - the way I understand it NVidia is moving away form AFR (alternate frame implementation).   I am not using any SLI profile except for whatever the default is.  

Finally I agree with most that the CPU trumps any GPU but still feel a high GPU clock gives the most graphics benefit.  The beauty of V4 is that LM seems to have come up with a good SLI implementation that works.

Cheers

bs

Sold my 2 1080 cards , not tested them in V4 but in V3 1080 SLI was performing better then a single 1080TI.

the 1080TI was for XP11 no SLI support, but now with P3DV4 i most buy one more STRIX OC.

have a X299 ASUS Apex but no cpu yet , 7900X and 7820X orderd.

I run a 7700k @5.1ghz HT on,with 2x8gb 4133mhz c16 mems mobo maximus IX Apex, 

• Upvote 2

I forgot to add that FPS almost exactly doubles between a single and SLI configuration.  While this may be an artificial benchmark it should tell you something.

Make sure you have a kick-butt OC'd CPU and MB and the best RAM available..

Regards

bs

4 hours ago, westman said:

Sold my 2 1080 cards , not tested them in V4 but in V3 1080 SLI was performing better then a single 1080TI.

the 1080TI was for XP11 no SLI support, but now with P3DV4 i most buy one more STRIX OC.

have a X299 ASUS Apex but no cpu yet , 7900X and 7820X orderd.

I run a 7700k @5.1ghz HT on,with 2x8gb 4133mhz c16 mems mobo maximus IX Apex, 

I'd be interested to see your comparison of the 7900x and 7820x, particularly if you can get them to the same clocks, as these are what I'm deciding between for my next upgrade.

6 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

I forgot to add that FPS almost exactly doubles between a single and SLI configuration.  While this may be an artificial benchmark it should tell you something.

What benchmark are you referring to here?

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

The internal FPS counter.  I'm running unlimited.

Cheers
bs

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

The internal FPS counter.  I'm running unlimited.

Cheers
bs

So going from your screen shot above your frame rates are doubling from about 26 to 52? That would be a major leap in p3d performance. I don't  think anyone has seen any sort of frame rate increase with sli in any version of p3d so far.

gb.

• Upvote 2

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

6 hours ago, gboz said:

So going from your screen shot above your frame rates are doubling from about 26 to 52? That would be a major leap in p3d performance. I don't  think anyone has seen any sort of frame rate increase with sli in any version of p3d so far.

gb.

Agree. That would be interesting. 

SLI is performing much better than V3. 

For a low end card like My GTX970SC it gives new life expansion having  a SLI setup. 

FPS are a little worse but 4K and overcast with great shadows is acceptabel for now. 

Problems starts when the NGX comes  out and My external CDUII kicks in. 

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png