Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Is it necessary to shutdown P3D before starting a new flight when flying heavies?

I'm not sure if this is needed in 64-bit P3D v4 anymore. After performing a flight in heavies such as the PMDG 747/777, is it necessary to shutdown the sim entirely and relaunch it before starting a new flight? Or can I simply just start a new flight?

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I've been able to start a new flight without a problem as far as P3D v4 is concerned. But I have experienced weird issues with Chaseplane if I switch aircraft after a long flight without restarting the simulator. I find that I am not able to switch views using assigned joystick buttons or hotkeys. Even restarting Chaseplane doesn't solve the issue, I have to restart the whole sim.

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

Yup, I just actually tried starting a new flight, and P3D just froze at the loading screen at around 80%. Seems like I will have to close and restart the sim if I want to perform a new flight. Oh well, not a big deal I guess. 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I've always done it, ever since the FS9 days.  Better to err on the side of caution, clean the pipes and start fresh in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't matter about the size or type of the aircraft only if the addon aircraft has for example more complex engagement with the sim than the standard aircraft, added gauges, dlls, simconnects and so on can be presented with issues if the simulation is restarted without the program closing first.

When we start the sim we notice the plane already loaded is from the default flight file. If that default flight had loaded a complex aircraft then the following flight may fail.

So it is best to restart the sim completely after a flight with some aircraft. It is why it is also best to have a stock aircraft included for the default flight.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I have not had any issues with multiple flights using the same aircraft.  I used to restart to clear memory but that isn't needed anymore.  I would restart, however, if changing aircraft.

Ryan

3 hours ago, rjack1282 said:

I have not had any issues with multiple flights using the same aircraft.  I used to restart to clear memory but that isn't needed anymore.  I would restart, however, if changing aircraft.

We can restart a flight with most aircraft and keep restarting all night, in fact we should not have to worry. However, if you check out Aaron's post above - this is the basic reality of the situation - and it continues to exist today. With some addons unfortunately we have to be aware that these problems can surface.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SteveW said:

Doesn't matter about the size or type of the aircraft only if the addon aircraft has for example more complex engagement with the sim than the standard aircraft, added gauges, dlls, simconnects and so on can be presented with issues if the simulation is restarted without the program closing first.

When we start the sim we notice the plane already loaded is from the default flight file. If that default flight had loaded a complex aircraft then the following flight may fail.

So it is best to restart the sim completely after a flight with some aircraft. It is why it is also best to have a stock aircraft included for the default flight.

Would be awesome if they didn't keep up this default flight nonsense anymore, and just let you pick a flight at startup.... Just sayin...

18 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

Would be awesome if they didn't keep up this default flight nonsense anymore, and just let you pick a flight at startup.... Just sayin...

Yes, would be good. In fact you can use Explorer, select a saved flight and Open with.. P3D. However, some aircraft may not start completely, example an active AP in the saved flight may not start turned on - unless a stock plane has already been loaded - need to test to see what may be affected.