Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Ending support for older simulator versions?

While there are those who still use FS9, there are no developers that make anything new for FS9 (that I'm aware of).

While there are those who will never move to Prepar3D v4, sooner than they might think, they'll no longer find new addons being offered for their current sim.

Change happens, always.  If you choose not to adapt to change, you get left behind.

• Upvote 6

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

17 minutes ago, WarpD said:

While there are those who still use FS9, there are no developers that make anything new for FS9 (that I'm aware of).

While there are those who will never move to Prepar3D v4, sooner than they might think, they'll no longer find new addons being offered for their current sim.

Change happens, always.  If you choose not to adapt to change, you get left behind.

Or one stays still....

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

16 minutes ago, Mickeyj said:

Or one stays still....

You'd still get left behind, as the rest of the world moves forward... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

What i do think is interesting and to be clear i am being ridiculous here.  I wonder how many of us will be quite so enthused about v5, what will LM offer to tempt us to upgrade next time, if they are sticking with the same ESP engine were is left to go?  Better ATC?  Better scenery?  Can't these be provided by add on's?  Interestingly, if they bin the engine off in favour of something more modern, everything breaks again.

Ian R Tyldesley

44 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Just curious was before my time but was there a hardware upgrade required to move to fsx? 

ZORAN

30 minutes ago, Venturi said:

Just curious was before my time but was there a hardware upgrade required to move to fsx? 

Hardware issues were much more significant when fsx was introduced. Basically, it was a program before it's time - you almost needed a supercomputer to get past slideshow territory. A VERY unpopular program with a lot of people on release for this reason.

by comparison, the issues here are minor. The computer that you want for P3d v4 is similar to the one you wanted for v3. You need a decent graphics card for prepar3d, in the same way that you need a decent graphics card for any modern gaming. But it doesn't need to be a 1080Ti by any means, a much more modest card will do OK. 

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

9 hours ago, vortex681 said:

But, for those who can remember it, this is a lot like the old VHS vs Betamax argument. Just because something is more technologically advanced or better, it doesn't automatically mean that everyone will choose to move to it (as Betamax manufacturers found to their cost).

You have a valid point, but we need to keep in mind that technologically, aviation/aerospace needs to far exceed most every industry. Flight simulation has the potential to do the same in all PC genres, but it is up to flight simmers to either make this happen, slow the progress down, or totally hinder it. I personally choose to do my part to make it happen.

The Carenado C152 II is a pretty awesome plane, but we know it can be 10X better. So, hi tech does not mean that all planes have to have a built in G600, even the trike can be a true masterpiece in hi tech for flight simulation. And the potential for all planes, scenery, and utilities, to be so much closer to reality is now more possible today. However, I know that as real as all these things could be, developers will still allow for the option to "grab and mouse and go", so that everybody can enjoy it. For example A2A has the auto start and no damage options.

9 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

When FSX came out, the quick death of FS 9 was predicted. Let's see, that was 2006, or 11 years ago, and people are still using FS9.  Go figure. 

So true, as a matter of fact, the FlightSim.com forums have lots of current activity regarding FS9. But we can all say for sure that their simulation experience in FS9 has nothing on those who fly with a well equipped PC and P3D.

.....NGX A2A AS/CA FTX the list goes on and on and on.....not to mention polar ops. 

I wonder how YouTube videos and reviews will affect the OP question once native 64 bit add-ons for P3Dv4 get released. Some may be compelled to get a 2nd or a reverse mortgage just to experience the thrill. :-) 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RoboRay said:

You wouldn't.  That option is for an existing customer who still uses the legacy versions and wants to expand their footprint across more machines without needing to upgrade all of them to the newest version available or replacing their old hardware with more capable systems.

Continued access to obsolescent software is rather important in industry.

I don't think it was access.  All version prior to 4 are still available to purchase.  I still see my old 2.5 version available for download.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

15 hours ago, WotanUK said:

I think given the jump from 32 - 64bits it's unlikely that developers will long continue to develop for each platform.  Times up for the 32 bit platforms, after 11 years of faithful service FSX in it's many 32-bit iterations will finally end.

So i am guessing X-Plane fan???

FSX Fan - the superior fanbase i guess?

57 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

I don't think it was access.  All version prior to 4 are still available to purchase.  I still see my old 2.5 version available for download.

As I said, it's so customers of those older versions can purchase additional licenses if they want them.  It's access to acquire new "old" licenses, not access to simply download a fresh copy.

48 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

As I said, it's so customers of those older versions can purchase additional licenses if they want them.  It's access to acquire new "old" licenses, not access to simply download a fresh copy.

They are all for sale on the LM website, version 1 . version 2 and version 3. http://www.prepar3d.com/prepar3d-store/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

my personal opinion support should be dropped for p3d v1, v2 and fsx boxed version over the next 12 months, and then drop support for p3d v3. fsx-se should be kept for obvious reasons. this would give developers time to focus on p3d 4, fsx-se and x-plane 11.p3d v1,v2 and fsx boxed should have been dropped when p3d v3 and fsx-se came out.

• Upvote 1

Just checking, is anyone still flying FS5?

Vic

• Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors