Sign in to follow this  
darem

Do FSX default planes work in P3D V4?

Is it ok to copy them with the migration tool or is this doomed to fail? Anyone tried this?

There has been some success.  I haven't tried yet.  I've read that if there are .dll (or .gau?) files, they will need to be converted by the developer as they won't work in the 64-bit environment.  Someone with more expertise and experience may be more helpful.

I'm also not sure of the legality of doing that.  But, if one owns FSX, it should be OK to move a file from there to another program?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Yes, I've moved some and they work.

Just copy the folders over. Change the name of the CRJ and the Lear so they don't overwrite the A.I. Versions in P3D. Also go into the aircraft .cfg of the new CRJ and Lear and change the title line of all the versions or you will get a duplicate model error message when you start the sim.

So far all of them work fine for me. Haven't come across any gauge problems.

Your mileage may vary, of course...

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

I have ported over a few default fsx planes without difficulty.  In principle, if the plane uses .dll files then they might not be compatible with the new 64 bit architecture of the sim.

I've tried porting over some older payware, but I'm having trouble with P3D showing the aircraft.  it gives an error that it can't display the model.  If anyone has ideas about this problem I'd be grateful.

Just to clarify... any DLL/GAU from a 32-bit sim... flat out will not work with Prepar3D v4.  Period.  There's no "might not", no "maybe", etc.  

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

The only one I copied over is the C172 from simobjects/airplanes (just it's folder) no other files. There are a dozen or so Cessna files that are already in the P3D4 gauge folder that are time stamped 5-25-17 (dated before release of P3D4). LM must have assumed we would try this.:blush:

26 minutes ago, bills511 said:

LM must have assumed we would try this.:blush:

I don't really think LM did it for that reason.  Many of P3D's "default" aircraft rely on the gauges from original FSX aircraft, so LM probably converted the old .gau/.dlls to 64-bit for that purpose.  The "side-benefit" being that we can import the C-172, LJ45, etc in P3D quite easily.

Well, it also helps that a lot of the default aircraft use XML based gauges which are architecture neutral so will work either way, since the basic functionality they require is provided by the core sim rather than a standalone DLL specific to the aircraft.  Quite sensibly, the default aircraft in FSX are mostly (possibly entirely) built like that, so will therefore work fine.

Mark Fox

Why oh why would you want to use these planes in p3dv4? Just curious.

I'd love to see the dodosim 206 work in p3dv4 though.....

Cheers

Jozeff