Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Question about P3D V4 and video cards.

I am trying to decide in buying a GTX 1080 (8GB) or a GTX 1080 Ti (11GB) video card.

Since I don't plan on using a 4K TV, my question is: will the extra 3GB of the GTX 1080 Ti video card benefit performance with P3D V4?  If so, it is a no-brainer to spend the extra money on the Ti board.

Thank You.

You need all you can get. I have a GTX 1080Ti, water-cooled with a core clocked to over 2000Mhz and still have to make compromises. If I had the money, I'd absolutely buy another one.

I agree with garret.    I have both 1080 and 1080ti and the 1080 Ti is worth the extra money with regards to performance in P3D v4.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

18 minutes ago, garrett_frank said:

You need all you can get. I have a GTX 1080Ti, water-cooled with a core clocked to over 2000Mhz and still have to make compromises. If I had the money, I'd absolutely buy another one.

11 minutes ago, Harold_Finch said:

I agree with garret.    I have both 1080 and 1080ti and the 1080 Ti is worth the extra money with regards to performance in P3D v4.

Super.  Thanks for the quick replies.  Any recommendations of one brand over another?

I got the ASUS 1080 TI and it is 36% faster than a GTX 1080.  P3DV4 is more dependent on the CPU but the P3D.cfg is set up to provide the best graphics settings for P3DV4.  I leave my graphics card set to the default display settings for P3D and only use the settings used by the P3D.cfg and I get great fps and super clear mind-boggling graphics.  That's what I go by... fast or good fps and clear, non-blurry graphics.  Have absolutely no idea how one can measure how much better the performance in P3DV4 between a 1080 and a 1080TI.  There are some excellent threads in the Hardware Forum too where the graphic card professionals usually reside.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

22 minutes ago, PDX Flyer said:

Super.  Thanks for the quick replies.  Any recommendations of one brand over another?

I think they're largely the same. It's still not clear to me if the Founder's Edition are any better... or what exactly FE even is. The only other thing that may make a difference to you is the sort of cooler you get. I got a decent deal on eBay for an almost new MSI Founder's Edition with a reference cooler. I didn't care about the brand, FE or cooler (more on that in a second), only the price and how the bids were working out.

I recommend finding the cheapest one you can and then just ripping the cooler off. Get a Kraken G10 bracket and then stick an AIO cooler on there you're all set.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Jim here (Jim, aren't you running 4k?). The second you start adding AA and cloud layers into the sim, you'll need every bit of GPU that you can get. Granted 4k diminishes the need for AA, higher resolutions will obviously require more GPU power. Again, you need all you can get.

5 minutes ago, garrett_frank said:

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Jim here (Jim, aren't you running 4k?). The second you start adding AA and cloud layers into the sim, you'll need every bit of GPU that you can get. Granted 4k diminishes the need for AA, higher resolutions will obviously require more GPU power. Again, you need all you can get.

My specs are in my signature.  I'm running P3D at 3440x1440 resolution.  I can run 4K on my monitor.  I have had others looking at my system and they cannot believe how fast and how clear the graphics are and I have most of my P3D settings set to max.  Maybe it's the M2 SSD's or the MB but I'm not having any issues (so far). 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10