Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

SATA SSD vs PCIE M.2 NVMe SSD

Due to the price difference wanted to check with the community for advice.

Is there a performance gain for P3D and is it worth the price difference?

The M2 is nice especially since it mounts directly on the mb.  To be honest I don't notice any big performance update over my Samsung and the cost is higher but if you just need another drive go for it.

Cheers

bs 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I think your request would be impossible to determine.  I think you have to go by consumer reviews like the following - http://www.pcgamer.com/best-nvme-ssds/.

You can also be like me and be happy I have the world's fastest SSD on my computer (for a few minutes as tech changes rapidly.  Just checked and my 960 is still fastest).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The other thing to consider is what impact it could have on your SATA port availabilty.

On my MSI Z97 Gaming 7, if I use the M2 slot it disables the Sata 7 and 8 ports, effectively trading two ports for one.

I'm sure this differs from manufacturer to manufacturer and board to board, but wanted to mention it just in case your motherboard is like mine.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Thanks all for your input.

@Jim - My specs will be similar to yours in terms of CPU and MB. Hoping I can achieve 5GHz. And NVMe SSD as well.

4 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I think your request would be impossible to determine.  I think you have to go by consumer reviews like the following - http://www.pcgamer.com/best-nvme-ssds/.

You can also be like me and be happy I have the world's fastest SSD on my computer (for a few minutes as tech changes rapidly.  Just checked and my 960 is still fastest).

Best regards,

Jim

Exactly Jim. (Exactly my thoughts.. LOL)

And this is about it, however I'm positive the SIM loads faster albeit in my own mind and I'm going to continue to believe myself until Rob comes along with test results showing there's only a 2 millisecond difference.

IM

bump

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, Iceman2 said:

until Rob comes along with test results showing there's only a 2 millisecond difference

It's my understanding he doesn't have one of these thing-uh-ma-jigs yet.  He did tell me it was super fast when I told him I had purchased a couple for my new rig.  I was hoping he would say it is 200% faster than any SSD ever made but I'll take "super fast" for now.

When I built my latest rig, I put Windows 10 on the 500GB 960 M.2 NVMe and I was simply amazed as to how fast Windows 10 installed and then started up where I could finish the installation.  Here's another excellent link about the performance of this fairly new creature - http://www.techspot.com/bestof/storage/.  Liked it's comparison to an Intel 750 SSD where it says it was twice as fast in file extraction testing.

I would say that if one cannot afford the M.2 now, they can wait six more months and it will probably come down in price.  I'm just upset there are only two slots on my new MB for M.2's and one is sitting right under my ASUS 1080TI.  P3DV4 and FSX are installed on the 1TB M.2.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I just dealt with this question (new rig is up and running tonight for the first time) and opted for a small 256 Gb M.2 to run the OS, and a 2 TB SSD for P3D. If you check out the threads on the MOBO/CPU forum, you'll find that consensus is that the M.2 helps with OS functions and with initial P3D load times, but not with P3D performance once the sim is running. P3D isn't able to cope with the speed of M.2 throughput, so there's no benefit over an SSD when it comes to rendering. If cost was no object, I would have gone for a big M.2, but to me it didn't seem to be worth the outlay. Over time, there'll be sims that do take advantage of M.2 speed, so if you want to be future-proofed and you're willing to pay a premium, go for it. I figured that I can swap one in later, when there's a stronger reason and when coats come down. BTW, that's why I keep the OS on a separate drive - much easier to move to different storage with no need for a reinstall. 

Do visit the hardware forums - lots of good debate and insight there. 

Thanks for all the input.

I will go with 2 x M.2NVME 256 GB each for OS and P3D V4.

I only ever fly PMDG 777 or 747 QOTSII. 256 GB should be enough I guess.