Sign in to follow this  
kj_2002

Approach on KSFO

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new to flying the big ones and have just started with the 747. I have followed the tutorial and it went relatively well. Unfortunately I have a problem, when it comes close to landing in San Francisco.

Page 81 tells me, that the localizer mode should activate and capture just before Dumba and that I shall press APP. But how do I see, that the localiser mode has activated. This is my first question.

Second one: At that time my PFD should read  SPD    LOC   G/S. Mine reads SPD   LOC   Vnav Pth in green and a white G/S below the Vnav Pth. I have tried it three times and the same happened each time. Can you help me please.

Thanks very much

Karsten

6 minutes ago, kj_2002 said:

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new to flying the big ones and have just started with the 747. I have followed the tutorial and it went relatively well. Unfortunately I have a problem, when it comes close to landing in San Francisco.

Page 81 tells me, that the localizer mode should activate and capture just before Dumba and that I shall press APP. But how do I see, that the localiser mode has activated. This is my first question.

Second one: At that time my PFD should read  SPD    LOC   G/S. Mine reads SPD   LOC   Vnav Pth in green and a white G/S below the Vnav Pth. I have tried it three times and the same happened each time. Can you help me please.

Thanks very much

Karsten

Hi,

Of course:

Answer to 1) 

For localizer capture you will see the horizontal magenta "pink carrot" appearing on the bottom part of your PFD and moving towards the center, where the white circles are.

When you press LOC. This remains white until you capture the localizer. Then it will turn green! Captured!

2)

For G/S the same thing. Once you are established on LOC (green), you will turn app on. I always do this when the vertical magenta comes down on the PFD. When the magenta crosses middle section of PFD the G/S turns green, captured!

You are now on the glideslope on final.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Hi,

1) Have a look at the FCOM p 10.10.23 ref 4 and 5, these are the localizer and G/S pointer on the PFD.

These pointers tell you that you are in range and receiving the signals from the localizer and G/S.

The FMA (on top of the PFD) will tell you which mode is active and which is armed. 

If you see LOC in white below HDG or LNAV, then the localizer mode is armed and will activate automatically if you are on a interception heading to the localizer and in range.

In you case, LOC in green means that the mode is active and you are intercepting or are already established on the localizer.

3 hours ago, kj_2002 said:

What you see on the FMA:

_ In green are the active modes (SPD, LOC, VNAV PTH)

_ In white and below the active modes are the armed modes: here the G/S.

The situation tells that you have already captured the localizer (LOC in green) but not the G/S. Hence the FMC will remain in VNAV PTH until you cross the glide slope at which time it will change to G/S.

In that situation check where you are from the G/S (magenta diamond next to the altitude tape on the PFD).

_ If the diamond is towards the top of the altutde tape, you are lower than the G/S. Just level up by changing the altitude on the MCP the magenta diamond goes down through the center of the altitude tape at which point it will be captured automatically.

_ If the diamond is toward the bottom of the alitude tape, you are higher than the G/S. You will need to increase your rate of descent to be able to capture it. Best method is to set a lower altitude on the MCP and switch to FLCH (which will provide you with altitude and speed protection).

If you see that you are still not going to make it, then interrupt your approach and prepare for another one.

Another option is to used the the V/S mode and set the rate of descent manually. However, be aware that in this mode you will have to monitor carefully your speed and altitude.

3 hours ago, Piotr007 said:

When you press LOC. This remains white until you capture the localizer. Then it will turn green! Captured!

2)

For G/S the same thing. Once you are established on LOC (green), you will turn app on. I always do this when the vertical magenta comes down on the PFD. When the magenta crosses middle section of PFD the G/S turns green, captured!

You do not need to press LOC first then APP once you are established on the localizer. Just press the APP button to capture the loc and the G/S will be captured then once you are established and crossing the G/S.

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.