Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

17229 performance degradation and CTDs

This latest update has degraded performance everywhere by introducing  stutters and it crashes to desktop if I fly out of KDAL.  I have flown in and out of KDAL in the Dallas Texas area in previous versions but now it just crashes.

I've filed a bug report but dovetail has not listened to any of my other bug reports and they've never listened to me here either so Ill have to be proactive and loud until someone actually listens to me and helps me  ...because right now FSW is broken and it wasn't before. 

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

No consolation to you obviously but it's not universally broken, I've just tried several flights out of KDAL and not experienced a crash there or anywhere else.  The flights weren't as smooth as I've experienced elsewhere, with dips below 30 fps which I've not seen before but there again I've not flown in that area with previous versions.

How do you know that your bug reports haven't been listened to?  Are you expecting a reply to each of them because in my experience with DTG's TSW and TS201x you don't necessarily get one.

my bug reports have concerned the purple sky, the lack of landing lights, the general darkness at night,  the autopilot problems and the the GNS problems.  and now also the crashing with this update. and the dimmer cloud lighting.

I don't expect personal answers but if anything Ive made a report about has been even looked at, its news to me.  what I see is several adjustments to lighting that's supposed to be completely replaced anyway so I don't see the point.  or maybe I just misunderstand what TrueSky is all about.

but I get a 100% crash rate now using the same settings that I have been using and that is everything set to Ultra except traffic and 'aircraft' which are one step down.  it used to work and does not now work.

and you are correct that it is not universally broken as I can fly in many places but performance is universally worse with this update and avoiding the place I'm intimately familiar with (Dallas)  isn't an answer for me.

but Im glad it works on your system.  what is your processor? your GPU? your OS? your settings?

EDIT: Both the Seneca and the DA42 will cause a CTD when flying from KDAL to KRBD with this update but the Malibu is flyable for me in Dallas so I figure it must be something to do with the glass cockpits in conjunction with heavier scenery. didn't know dallas was heavy though.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I just got a CTD in the DA40 at KDAL while selecting an ILS approach to KADS rwy15. Running vanilla FSW (no mods or tweaks and all default settings) it's never CTD'd before.

Just tried again, same scenario, no problem this time - weird!

I have just tried KDAL takeoff and landing fly around the city in fine weather then thunder storms, no CTD smooth no stutters, graphics 

high not ultra, scenery high not ultra AI traffic in the air, i5 3.4ghz gtx 960 4gb memory no tweaks in FSW, NVidia tweaks only this weeks latest drivers.

Windows 10 

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

49 minutes ago, sightseer said:

but Im glad it works on your system.  what is your processor? your GPU? your OS? your settings?

System:

i5-2500k @ 4.4 GHz - 8GB RAM - GTX1070 - Win 7 Home

Graphical Settings:

Graphics - Ultra

Aircraft - High

Scenery - User Defined (LOD Radius edited to 6.5000)

Weather - Ultra

Traffic - Low

Running full screen @ 1680 x 1050 with Vsync on via Nvidia Inspector

I've not tried the DA42 or Seneca out of  KDAL but the DA40 was OK.  I'll try some more over the next few days.

I've been getting CTDs out of KLGA in the DA40 even before this latest update.  I logged a support ticket and have been emailing back and forth with support, but no fix yet.  It's funny, no entry in Win Event Viewer, but apparently FSW logs a dump file that gets emailed somewhere, but I cannot find the log itself on my pc.

i5 6600k OC 4.4GHz, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, Win10 Home

good luck on getting a fix.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

This morning seems to be different as far as crashes go.  The only difference that I know of is that Adobe Flash Player was updated.

I first tried a flight with Traffic set to low and it didn't crash so I went back to my original settings and it still didn't crash so I did a second short flight from KDAL to KADS and still no crash so I went and flew over Los Angeles and it still didn't crash.

I still have bad performance.  Im not sure whats going on.

Thanks to those who have commented in this thread and tried to help.

SmokeDiddy - I looked for signs in the event viewer also but didn't see anything that helped me - but Im not really sure I would know what to look for.  I often fly offline so Im not sure how they would catch my crashes or other errors.  our systems seem pretty close but Im not OC'd. and I too had a crash near KLGA even before this recent update.  I hope they move in a direction I like for a change.

• Upvote 1

UPDATE:  This is referring to my previous post, I tried KLGA this morning in the Cherokee and didn't CTD.  So, as someone mentioned above, I wonder if glass cockpit has something to do with it.  Frames dropped to around 25fps, which I find tolerable, but the stuttering was fairly severe.

All Graphics are set to High, except Scenery (Ultra) and Traffic (Low).

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

49 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

UPDATE:  This is referring to my previous post, I tried KLGA this morning in the Cherokee and didn't CTD.  So, as someone mentioned above, I wonder if glass cockpit has something to do with it.  Frames dropped to around 25fps, which I find tolerable, but the stuttering was fairly severe.

All Graphics are set to High, except Scenery (Ultra) and Traffic (Low).

Have you modified your CFG at all? I had LOD Radius 10.5 and Texture Quality 10, reduced them to 9.5 and 8 respectively and the stutters improved a lot. Still not gone completely but...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 minute ago, scotchegg said:

Have you modified your CFG at all? I had LOD Radius 10.5 and Texture Quality 10, reduced them to 9.5 and 8 respectively and the stutters improved a lot. Still not gone completely but...

No, I have not modified the .cfg in any way, but maybe I'll try those settings and see what happens.  Thanks for the recommendation!

31 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

No, I have not modified the .cfg in any way, but maybe I'll try those settings and see what happens.  Thanks for the recommendation!

@scotchegg I made the changes you recommended and can confirm that the stutters are very much improved over what I was seeing.  Not totally stutter free, but minimal.  Thanks again!

I tried setting LOD radius to 9.5 and texture quality to 8 but it didn't change performance and Im not convinced it made the scenery any better.  It appeared there was a farther out autogen ring but I cant say for sure it was different.  But I had some blurry textures below me and continued stutter performance so I changed it back to default.

I wish it had helped.  I want to like FSW.  I had hopes.

I can guarantee the next update will be even darker lighting.

6 hours ago, SmokeDiddy said:

@scotchegg I made the changes you recommended and can confirm that the stutters are very much improved over what I was seeing.  Not totally stutter free, but minimal.  Thanks again!

That's interesting. Increasing draw distance should make things worse, not better! Anyway, good that it improved the overall experience.

4 hours ago, sightseer said:

I tried setting LOD radius to 9.5 and texture quality to 8 but it didn't change performance and Im not convinced it made the scenery any better.  It appeared there was a farther out autogen ring but I cant say for sure it was different.  But I had some blurry textures below me and continued stutter performance so I changed it back to default.

I wish it had helped.  I want to like FSW.  I had hopes.

I can guarantee the next update will be even darker lighting.

Your mileage will definitely vary with setup / location. Of course you can play around with the settings until you find a balance you're happy with, and of course this will probably all need to be changed with future updates...

In a perverse way I kind of missed the cfg tweaking while playing with XPlane!

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea