Sign in to follow this  
Guest rudesing

Autopilot cannot fly straight and level

Guest rudesing

Whenever I've had any problems with FS in the past, I've always known that the solution is available somewhere from within these forums - admittedly most of the time the solution is me realising that I'm being stupid rather than an inherent flaw with FS. On this one though, I've not found any reference to simiar problem so I hope somebody can help. I usually fly an IFDG Airbus 319 with PSS panel, and have never had any major difficulties with it. For the last few days however, as soon as I engage autopilot to follow the FMC flightplan, the aircraft banks to the right and holds in a permanent bank angle. It manages to track the flightplan, but of course it cannot be too comfortable for the passengers or good for the airframe. I've checked that it is not the weather by setting perfectly calm conditions, and I have also changed aircraft to a default 737 but the problem is exactly the same with that.Has anybody any suggestions as to the cause of this problems and what I can do to fix it? I'm quite happy to hear that I'm being stupid (again!) - anything so I can stop telling the passengers to all move to the left hand side of the aisle!

Guest william273

had the same problem last night. mine was rolling to the right. recalibrated my stick and all is well now. hope it's that easy for you too. william

Guest rudesing

Thanks William. I've tried recalibrating both my pedals and yoke but still the problem remains. The strange thing is that as soon as I turn of the autopilot, the plane returns to straight and level.

Guest RonB49

Have you tried a different aircraft and panel and a different startup situation (Flight)? If not, try that and see if a different setup behaves the same way. R-

Guest rudesing

I've tried that, using the default B737 with default panel. The same problem occurs. The only thing I can think of is whether there is something incorrect in a .ini file, but I'm not sure how I can check that out.

Guest william273

just another long shot but maybe the heading mode button is on and set to a different heading than you are on. probably not but ya never know in cases like this. william

Guest RonB49

A long L-O-N-G time ago I had a similar problem (although I seem to recall that it affected hand-flying as well as autopilot) nonetheless, it was a banking problem. Oh wow, as I write this I do think it manifested itself when the autopilot was enabled. At any rate here us something to try.o Load a plane that has a full turn and bank indicator.o Take off and enable the autopilot, Heading hold or Nav hold.o Examine the turn indicator.If the ball and needle are centered then, I'm all wet and you can look elsewhere but if the ball or needle is not centered, then you probably have a aileron or rudder trim issue.o With the autopilot still enabled,o Adjust aileron trim (Ctrl+NumPad 4/6) ando Adjust rudder trim (Ctrl+NumPad 0/Enter.Watch the turn indicator as you make the adjustments and center the ball and needle. If this is your problem, then it will be fixed.It's probably necessary to use a plane that has aileron and rudder trim as well as a turn indicator. I think I used the default C182. I hope that this fixes your problems. R-

Guest rudesing

Thanks for that. It seems that the problem is fixed. I loaded up the C172, did a straight take off and used the autopilot from there.There was no problems with that flight, so I reverted to the Airbus and at last it flew straight and level! I guess that getting back to basics flying works in FS as well!