Sign in to follow this  
ark4diusz

P3D v4 stutters after ~3-4 hours of flight

Hello guys, after trying different things, I decided to upgrade my RAM from DDR3 1666 mHz to 2400 mHz with full Windows reinstall. So far so good, stutters went away. 

Unfortunately, I still don't know what caused those stutters... 

Best,

Arek

Let me jump in with a quick observation since I also have this problem.  On a long haul from Sydney to San Francisco in the PMDG B744 with ChasePlane (latest beta), ASP4 (Beta 3), and FSUIPC v5.x (autosave disabled), the continuous long stutters every 2-3 seconds started after several hours.  About 2 hours out of SFO, I saved the flight, closed P3Dv4, restarted P3D, then loaded the saved flight and the stutters were completely gone (as expected).

This does seem like a cumulative thing... maybe similar to the VAS OOM issue with P3Dv3, only different since VAS is no longer a problem.  So, I'm back to saving a flight before T/D, then reloading for the landing, just like to old P3Dv3 days, until this issue can be discovered and rectified.

Not sure it is RAM-related since I have 32GB of the stuff.  I'm sure we'll get this sorted... it's still early days with P3Dv4.

Edit: This did not happen in P3Dv3 with this exact same hardware, so there was clearly something introduced with either P3Dv4, or in some of the "updated" addons.  I have zero .cfg tweaks and have settings at med to med-hi.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I too get the stutters after flying a couple of hours.  No chaseplane.  Pmdg 777 as16 asca, orb. Something changes over time and restart goes back to smooth.  Thought maybe ASCA but not sure.  Very annoying but good to know I  am not the only one.  I keep monitoring this issue and trying stuff myself.

Darcy Coutts

1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

Let me jump in with a quick observation since I also have this problem.  On a long haul from Sydney to San Francisco in the PMDG B744 with ChasePlane (latest beta), ASP4 (Beta 3), and FSUIPC v5.x (autosave disabled), the continuous long stutters every 2-3 seconds started after several hours.  About 2 hours out of SFO, I saved the flight, closed P3Dv4, restarted P3D, then loaded the saved flight and the stutters were completely gone (as expected).

This does seem like a cumulative thing... maybe similar to the VAS OOM issue with P3Dv3, only different since VAS is no longer a problem.  So, I'm back to saving a flight before T/D, then reloading for the landing, just like to old P3Dv3 days, until this issue can be discovered and rectified.

Not sure it is RAM-related since I have 32GB of the stuff.  I'm sure we'll get this sorted... it's still early days with P3Dv4.

Edit: This did not happen in P3Dv3 with this exact same hardware, so there was clearly something introduced with either P3Dv4, or in some of the "updated" addons.  I have zero .cfg tweaks and have settings at med to med-hi.

As if I had written it myself. I have done many long hauls since the release of V4 but I have only had these stutters on flights across the Pacific. I've done many flights from UK to US without these stutters. 

I did perform my first Pacific crossing in V4 after the release of the hotfix. I'm currently flying SFO to AMS and will have the chance to check if it happens on this flight as well. 

Have any of you looked in task manager, resource monitor,  when you get the stutters, to see if any thing running is using more CPU cycles than normal? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have checked, but have not noticed anything that caught my attention. Will however keep looking.

I get this too with long haul flights. A stutter every 2 seconds, very regular in pattern, nothing like normal random stutters when you get long frames.

Only have the PMDG 747 but I'm not saying that's the cause, but any flight more than 4 hours the stutter happens.

I would like to get it resolved, as otherwise I have very smooth performance, locking my frame rate at 30.

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I got this also. I close As16 for V4 and restart it. Then the stutters are gone.

regards

Michael Franz

I'll try that. Doing a flight from EHAM (FT)  to KJFK (FSDT)  now.

Just over Nova Scotia.... no stutter yet, 965 nm to go.

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

+1 for stutters on long hauls.  Closing and reopening AS16 does not help.  A sim restart fixes the problem. I am noticing a significant jump in CPU usage (flew overnight and woke up to stuttery sim over St Petersburg FIR).   P3D process is now using 88 - 91% of my CPU.  

I'm running an i7 5280k o/c to 4.5Ghz stable, 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM, X99 chipset (Asus X-99-S) and a GTX 980Ti Strix OC.

Did anyone check on the GPU temp ? Some people ( LM forum ) have reported higher GPU temps with v4.

If the graphics card gets very hot that might cause stutters or arrifacts...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 hours ago, ProfessorMadman said:

Closing and reopening AS16 does not help.  A sim restart fixes the problem. 

Hi Daniel - I agree.  A sim restart fixes the issue for me as well.  I simply save the flight, shut down P3Dv4, restart and load the saved flight, then smooth as glass.  This issue has the feel of something cumulative.  I'm confident it'll be sorted out before too long.  Saving before T/D, then reloading for a buttery smooth arrival and landing will have to do for right now.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

17 hours ago, Bunchy said:

I'll try that. Doing a flight from EHAM (FT)  to KJFK (FSDT)  now.

Just over Nova Scotia.... no stutter yet, 965 nm to go.

Stu

No joy. Stutter came back on descent into KJFK.

I will check my GPU temps next time I do long haul. Not overclocking my GPU, so I am not expecting any issues regarding temps.

Stu

I have the same problem, but only after installing the hotfix

GPU (64° C 8xssaa) and CPU (~45°-50°temps are ok), not overclocking GPU and CPU

i7-7700k and GTX1070, 16GB RAM DDR4-3000

18 hours ago, Motormike said:

I got this also. I close As16 for V4 and restart it. Then the stutters are gone.

The reason I asked above about looking at CPU percentage with task manager, is I have had an ongoing problem for over a month with certain aircraft ( copters) causing CPU cycles to start climbing after about 1/2 hour in AS 16 resulting in stutters. I have opened a ticket with AS 16 support, they said they have some other similar complaints, and so far, no fix. All I have to do to get rid of the stutters and this only happens with 2 copters I have ( so far) is to shut AS 16 down and restart it. CPU cycles start at an average of a bit less than 1% and after about 40 minutes of flying start averaging 5-10% and keep increasing as the flight progresses. When they get high enough, ( I have seen CPU% in AS 16 reach over 20% only exceeded by P3D itself)  stutters result. Close down AS 16, restart AS 16, and stutters are gone and CPU % is back to less than 1%,   

Below, is my last post on the HIFI support forum regarding this issue that I have copied and pasted here. By the way I have spent hours and hours troubleshooting this issue. 

(FYI)

I posted my latest experience with this issue on your support forum on 
6-25-17 and it says you are reviewing it. I want to add some 
information that might prove helpful.

I stated in my post on 6-25 that I was having the high CPU issue with a 
Milviz Huey Redux copter that I fly. This can be demonstrated on each 
and every flight without exception. It is as if there is a timer running 
in AS 16 and after 25 minutes, like clockwork, the CPU percentage 
starts rising and continues until it get to around 12-14%. This rise to 
the high point takes about 10 minutes from the 25 minute mark . Shutting 
AS 16 down and starting it again, resets this sequence, and it begins 
all over again. I have also got this to reset by selecting another 
copter that doesn't have this issue, without resetting either AS 16 or 
P3D. After posting this, I discovered that the other Milviz Copter I 
have, the 407, is having the exact same issue.

Now if I fly the Milviz 530F copter or the Cera SIM AS365, this problem 
never occurs. The CPU % stays below 1.0, 99% of the time, with minor 
excursions slightly over 1, for a second or two, no matter how long I 
fly. So I conclude, that this is an aircraft interaction with AS 16, and 
only affecting certain aircraft.

So there is something in the Milviz 407 and Huey Redux that is 
definitely causing this issue with AS 16 in P3D. ( BTW, I posted this issue on 
the Milviz support forum for the Huey, but have had no response so far 
from Milviz. This aircraft specific issue may be why you are having a 
problem tracking this down. Possibly there are other aircraft that 
people are flying that are also causing this, so knowing which aircraft 
people are using when this issue crops up might be helpful.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310