Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Tried Orthos + Overlays...didn't like it

I don't know why people think it's complicated. It was remarkably easy to do. 

But it was too chaotic looking IMO, with the overlays sloppily laying over the photo and trees showing up in random places they shouldn't. The photo textures in flat fields looked so much better than stock XP11 but otherwise, it wasn't a clean enough presentation for me. 

I can see where this would look really good with complete OSM coverage via W2XP like in Europe, but I don't think it's for me in it's current form. 

Back to default it is. Really hope they'll be an HDMesh v4 at some point and someone releases an update for the stock ground textures to provide better color and variety.  

Did you build Overlays? It places trees etc... in realistic positions. To me its like night and day.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

When I use Ortho in congested cities, I cut World Objects to half or more, so that trees don't end up on the roofs of buildings and so much autogen covers the ortho representation. With a ZL 17 flying 1000 feet above a city that you know well. is pretty nice. with ZL17 down to 500 feet looks pretty decent without a lot of the autogen cluttering the landscape up.  

I'm working on a tool to add trees to Ortho4XP imagery. It does rely on having some good imagery available, and results can vary, but I've had great results in California. It replaces the overlay trees/forests from the overlay layer with more accurate ones, so no more trees going across fields or beaches, etc..

• Upvote 5

25 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I'm working on a tool to add trees to Ortho4XP imagery. It does rely on having some good imagery available, and results can vary, but I've had great results in California. It replaces the overlay trees/forests from the overlay layer with more accurate ones, so no more trees going across fields or beaches, etc..

Looking forward to trying it out Tony. Many thanks for all your hard work and contributions to this hobby!  For me, poorly placed trees poking through buildings placed by w2xp and in beaches and sports fields are the biggest immersion killer when using Orthoscenery and/or w2xp. Inspite of the misplaced trees, I still think the combination of Ortho4xp with default autogen and custom w2xp overlays can provide the most immersive desktop flightsim experience one can get. Any improvement to the tree issue will be icing on the cake. Will you be making this available on the org?

• Upvote 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

Tony thank you for this effort. Can't wait to try it.  I also get some trees where they should not be, with overlay, but...mentally have blinded myself to them...but this would be fabulous. 

A pre-thank you!

Mitch

1 hour ago, turnandbank said:

Looking forward to trying it out Tony. Many thanks for all your hard work and contributions to this hobby!  For me, poorly placed trees poking through buildings placed by w2xp and in beaches and sports fields are the biggest immersion killer when using Orthoscenery and/or w2xp. Inspite of the misplaced trees, I still think the combination of Ortho4xp with default autogen and custom w2xp overlays can provide the most immersive desktop flightsim experience one can get. Any improvement to the tree issue will be icing on the cake. Will you be making this available on the org?

I agree with this one 'side effect' and if it can be addressed, the WOW factor rates up!

I'm just finishing my first series of Batch Tiles for Western Europe...France...Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, and have two left at zl17/19/2.  Can't wait to try them out in about 30 minutes!

Cheers,

Mitch

I'm still working at it. My first efforts have been less than satisfactory, but I see fantastic Ortho on YouTube videos, and I downloaded Sky Story's Corsica, and it is fantastic. So, I know it can be done well. 

Great news on the tech you're developing, Tony!  

On 6/17/2017 at 8:14 AM, tonywob said:

I'm working on a tool to add trees to Ortho4XP imagery. It does rely on having some good imagery available, and results can vary, but I've had great results in California. I

This great news Tony - thank you.

Tony's GB Pro shows how trees can be properly placed with the correct data (some issues with airports which don;t have the right exclusions)

Also Truscenery do the area around Helisinki, Finland which is very good - also shows what can be achieved with correct tree placement and orthos - the city scape is toward the end - its payware. They also do some great airports  - some free, some payware.

cheers

Peter

• Upvote 1

That Helsinki Metropolitan VFR Photoreal Scenery for X-Plane is amazing!

From the first initial videos that I saw, I thought it was the best scenery I've ever seen for XP 10. I wish there were more areas available.

Does anyone know how long does it take a developer to create a region with that much detail?

HD space for this add-on?

Lastly, is this scenery XP 11 compatible?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Ortho is a game changer, yes there are trees in wrong locations still but by in large its a major step forward in mesh and can be insanely realistic. 

• Upvote 1

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

That Helsinki Metropolitan VFR Photoreal Scenery for X-Plane is amazing!

Lastly, is this scenery XP 11 compatible?

Yes - works fine.

cheers

Peter

I've decided to create zl16 for the US with zl 17/18 for florida which is where I'm from. The thing for me to put ortho over the top was I run max scenery objects, but trees I have turned Off. They are too patchy looking and in the wrong place. But I have all the auto-generated buildings and roads with traffic and it looks great. 

Here are a couple of shots of a few tiles around Portland and Oceano using the autotrees

Cessna_172SP_28

Cessna_172SP_29

Cessna_172SP_30

Cessna_172SP_31

Cessna_172SP_32

It sits on top of the normal autogen as an extra overlay. It isn't perfect as it can't differentiate between shrubs and forests and of course it's also very dependent on having good clear orthos.

• Upvote 7