Sign in to follow this  
Saucey12

which fsx steam version?

Hello everyone I am finally ready to re-enter this wonderful hobby and I need you guys to give me your best advice.. I have a new computer and I would like to know which version of the FSX on Steam you would recommend ? 

Didn't know there was more than one!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Well when I viewed it there was. I know some have some add on packages.  

Oh, I see what the op means now. I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend and how you plan to fly your sim?

The 7.49 USD version only.  http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=fsx&page=9

If you want add ons purchase them from outside vendor websites.  No reason not to and in some cases it's beneficial to have non-DLC content

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I wouldn't waste money on a dead sim. Buy P3Dv4

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

28 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

The 7.49 USD version only.  http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=fsx&page=9

If you want add ons purchase them from outside vendor websites.  No reason not to and in some cases it's beneficial to have non-DLC content

Thank you. I have been out of this for awhile and it has changed a lot.  Hell back when I had FS9 there was no choice but the boxed version and there was very little "add ons" available.  The steam site seems to be full of ads and typical younger people BS.. it is secure and legit?  

1 hour ago, Saucey12 said:

Thank you. I have been out of this for awhile and it has changed a lot.  Hell back when I had FS9 there was no choice but the boxed version and there was very little "add ons" available.  The steam site seems to be full of ads and typical younger people BS.. it is secure and legit?  

Steam is the #1 digital gaming content provider in the world; it accounts for 75% of the aggregate market.  In fact, Steam is why your local electronics retailer no longer sells video games .  So, yeah, its legit...very legit.  Its also very convenient and intuitive...  

Matt King

Yeah I mean unless you want to go with P3D.  Version 4 being 64 bit is the way to go, but quite a bit more pricy.  Plus a handful of add ons don't work yet in version 4 and LM needs to patch some items now.  It's not like FSX is bad.  The scenery is the same, the ATC and NavData is the same.  P3D offers some enhancements but to say that FSX is dated or inferior to P3D in many ways is ridiculous.  There a lot of benefits to P3D as I said (e.g., 64-bit, certain add on features only made for P3D) but overall it's the same world.  For less than 8 dollars you can't go wrong to play a little and see if FSX suits you.  You can always upgrade to P3D later just keep in mind that certain add ons charge again at full price for P3D versions over FSX. 

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

18 hours ago, YukonPete said:

I wouldn't waste money on a dead sim. Buy P3Dv4

uhhh, P3Dv4 is just as dead. I wish he'd consider X-Plane.

16 minutes ago, Sticky said:

This is a very tired argument and is a total waste of time. Like trying to convince a Ford person to buy a Chevy. If this thread continues down this path, it will be locked.

On a side note, your personal wishes do not make fact. That statement is based on no fact other then your extreme loyalty to X-Plane.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

4 minutes ago, Brian_A_Neuman said:

This is a very tired argument and is a total waste of time. Like trying to convince a Ford person to buy a Chevy. If this thread continues down this path, it will be locked.

On a side note, your personal wishes do not make fact. That statement is based on no fact other then your extreme loyalty to X-Plane.

no. there's no waste of time here. maybe he's unaware of other choices outside of FSX. of course wishes aren't facts,...thats why they're wishes. oh, and since when does suggesting P3Dv4 is just as dead as FSX mean I have extermine loyalty?...I just did a nice flight in FSX today.

i think you're spending too much time in the library or something.

27 minutes ago, Sticky said:

how   is  p3dv4  is  dead  didnt  it  just been  released

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

2 minutes ago, Sticky said:

no. there's no waste of time here. maybe he's unaware of other choices outside of FSX. of course wishes aren't facts,...thats why they're wishes. oh, and since when does suggesting P3Dv4 is just as dead as FSX mean I have extermine loyalty?...I just did a nice flight in FSX today.

i think you're spending too much time in the library or something.

When you say "I wish he'd consider X-Plane" you can extrapolate that. Saying "Have you looked at X-Plane" is more what you meant. This ends now.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

This thread has outlived it's usefulness. Closing before it degenerates further

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator