Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Can anyone elaborate on CPU v GPU demands in P3D V3 and V4

It's easy to demonstrate which GPU settings (AA, resolution, etc) can bog down GPU, AND it's also easy to demonstrate how specific slider groups will impact GPU greatly, mainly being on the Lighting slider group in V3.  What I have no idea about IS WHAT ROLE DOES THE GPU PLAY in the scenery detail sliders, the cloud density sliders, and so forth.  I have a GTX Titan original which according to certain benchmarks is able to benchmark somewhere around 60% of what 1080Ti FE can do, so this suggests to me I will be able to move for example terrain/cloud shadow distance & quality sliders further right than I can currently, and means GPU will likely be less of the culprit in not being able to maintain 30FPS which I need as I'm vsynced to the monitor at 30mha.  What I've always wanted to know is what role the GPU plays in all of the Scenery slider group:  detail, LOD, autogen, vegetation, etc.   These currently to me seem to be more CPU limited, or maybe approaching 100% limited?   Love to hear Rob A's analysis or SteveW's on this if you're out there.  It will help me plan for my next build, after which I will likely upgrade to P3D V4.

Thanks!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Refer to the AVSIM Prepar3D Guide, topic pinned at top of this forum.  Rob did a good job of identifying what loads the CPU and GPU and although it was targeted for v3 much is the same for v4.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Looking forward to seeing submissions in this thread. I need to bring my CPU temps down from 80c, down to 65c-70c. I'll be happy then.

Brian Nellis

38 minutes ago, Copper. said:

Looking forward to seeing submissions in this thread. I need to bring my CPU temps down from 80c, down to 65c-70c. I'll be happy then.

If your cpu is running at 80C - you might need a better heat solution or possibly thermal compound. FWIW, I've found that a lot of people put way too much TC on and defeat the purpose.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, downscc said:

Refer to the AVSIM Prepar3D Guide, topic pinned at top of this forum.  Rob did a good job of identifying what loads the CPU and GPU and although it was targeted for v3 much is the same for v4.

Thanks Dan, that is useful for me though not ideal because it doesn't do so well in quantifying what the ratio is on CPU:GPU in the BOTH CPU+GPU group of sliders.  This is probably nigh to impossible because of dependencies and other variables.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

45 minutes ago, Copper. said:

Hey Brian,

I run a 4.2y/o SB-E 6-core 3930K at 4.42Ghz w/ HT enabled, w/ a GTX Titan.  My core temps are always under 60C at peak load a using Noctua air cooler.  

What I did for my PC room a few PC builds back, many years ago, is install a small thru-the-wall air conditioner unit which plugs into a wall socket and so runs on 110V.  The unit was made by Sharp, and has a remote control with it.  It runs at 3 speeds for both air conditioning and 3 speeds for fan only.  The output vents are aimed at the back of my PC case about 8" away from the case.  The one 6" fan in that side of the case is in the direct path of the a/c output.  During winter months I can use fan only and keep CPU temp <60C.  In the hot summers I need a little a/c in the room anyway, so it works for both a room cooler and a PC cooler, and of course works for your future PC builds ultimately.   It's low-pitched hum noise but doesn't bother me, and sometimes I will use stereo monitor headphones anyway and can't hear the A/C running.

• Upvote 1

Noel

7 hours ago, vgbaron said:

If your cpu is running at 80C - you might need a better heat solution or possibly thermal compound. FWIW, I've found that a lot of people put way too much TC on and defeat the purpose.

Vic

Thanks for the tip. I put a fresh lot of tc because when I fired the game up for the 1st time, temp was circa 90c. Putting the fresh tc on water cooler def helped and dropped it to current temps of 75c-80c.

anyway, I've only had it installed for a few days. More optimising to follow. Hopefully I can get it down more.

thanks Noel also. Good tip.

Brian Nellis

On 6/17/2017 at 6:35 PM, downscc said:

great question as I have a  good cpu/mobo ( I7 7700k 16gb config against a gtx 1050ti (no money left)