Sign in to follow this  
dimgdogos

P3D V4, To sli or not to sli.

Kalimera fron HELLAS (GREECE). I installed after reformating my pc the newest version of P3D and found out that my graphics card (asus gtx970 strix) struggles to perform. While in forest or less dense areas it performs well (fps 50-120~) in cities it has stutters and frame drop to 11!!!. The load on the processor during the run of P3D goes to 65-100%. If i install another graphics card same as the one i have in sli mode will the performance be steady? The settings on P3D are those in the images below

http://prntscr.com/fl4puc http://prntscr.com/fl4q1l http://prntscr.com/fl4q50

Until now i installed ftx global, landclass and trees hd. Weather provided by active sky 16 and cloud art.

specs:

cpu i7 3.3ghz socket 2011-3

mobo gigabyte x99 ud4

ram 4x4 gb kingston hyperx 2666 mhz

hdd 2x 500gb ssd samsung 840 evo

GPU asus gtx 970 strix 4gb ddr5

psu corsair 850 watts

Dimitrios Dogos

Yasoo eh kalosto Jim,

I am surprised at the low performance looking at your screenshots and your specs tho the 970 card has a rep for varied performance.

Can you run GPUZ with the sensors on and see your GPU load and VRAM usage I suspect you may have a vram limit.

Your screen resolution and settings are quite modest. Only other test I would do is drop to 4xmsaa dont know that your would notice 8x at that small resolution. You list your cpu at stock clock, if you haven't overclocked it that is the first move I suggest. Which i7 (2011) do you have? Depending on your model CPU you could easily get another 1 MHz with a good CPU cooler and that is a one third improvement in CPU throughput.

I ran 3 generations of GTX cards in SLI up until I went to the GTX980Ti and the last SLI - 2x GTX680 4Gbs ran FSX and XP10 fine on a 2k monitor. I am new to P3D having switched from FSX to get the benefit of 64 bit I cant comment on how SLI would work with v4, however I suspect you would need more CPU clock speed before you feed two cards. That was my experience with LGA 1366 CPUs (4 core) and the same with the LGA 2011 (6 core).

There is one truism in Flight sims more CPU and Graphics power never hurt anyone and that holds even more true for 64bit because the developers will give us more eye candy which we will want on our screens (and loaded out to the horizon faster) now we don't have to worry about usable ram limits. I would only consider SLI if you can pick up another 970 (hopefully identical) cheaply. Otherwise 1. OC the CPU first and then decide 2. upgrade - a single 1080 will do about the same if not better than your SLI suggestion without the risk.

Not sure if that helps.

• Upvote 1

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

I was lucky and found someone with the same exactly video card and i can buy it cheap. In terms of overclocking i will go step by step up the frequency (can't afford to lose cpu!!!) thanks fo reply you were very helpfull

p.s my cpu is CORE I7-5820K 3.30GHZ LGA2011-3

Dimitrios Dogos

I always enjoyed SLI in P3Dv3.4 with 2x980s plus with VR (I got VR-SLI with Flyinside - which is must have).  I never had problems, I have not tried P3Dv4.  I am going to let you all beta test it for me for a while.  FI is not ready for P3Dv4 at the moment.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

With using a single 1080ti and v4. The only things that make me think about the need for sli, is dynamic lighting and maxed out shadows.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Evaluate your situation - a 970 is good but 2 will be better.  Consider it a temporary update until you upgrade to the latest platform.  Or you can blow your wad on a single card and not have a system that can keep up.  Thing that surprised me was that the memory usage was divided amongst the cards so a card with 4gig x 2 might give you enough memory.  In the past this was not the case.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I've been using sli because I have  3 displays @ 8000x1600  and replacing my 3 Titans X  with 2 Evga hydro 1080ti making a 2 way instead 3 as nvidia recommends.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

......and finally sli is done, found a used video card same as the one i have and tested it. First it was a big failure due to stutter but i gave it a try with overclocking and this was the trick that fixed it all. My cpu (3,3ghz i7 5820k) was the issue and i raised it up to 4,0 ghz. I tried to raise a bit the sliders sucessfully and let's hope things go well when i start add "goodies"...

My sli is 2 x asus gtx970 strix 4gb ddr5

• Upvote 1

Dimitrios Dogos

15 hours ago, dimgdogos said:

......and finally sli is done, found a used video card same as the one i have and tested it. First it was a big failure due to stutter but i gave it a try with overclocking and this was the trick that fixed it all. My cpu (3,3ghz i7 5820k) was the issue and i raised it up to 4,0 ghz. I tried to raise a bit the sliders sucessfully and let's hope things go well when i start add "goodies"...

My sli is 2 x asus gtx970 strix 4gb ddr5

Thats good, Your headed in the right direction I think you have more to go with the OC. Plenty of guides on Youtube if you take it carefully, there are examples at 4.5 and 4.7 they will give you another significant boost to your throughput. I don't know what your cooler is good luck and watch your temps and voltages. Another suggestion is to watch your dram usage though you haven't said why you are using that strange resolution with SLI. Very underwhelming resolution (1440x1050) for a X99 SLI setup if I might say?

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server