Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

Installation of addons should be straightforward

I haven't bought v4 yet, but will in a few more weeks when things settle out a bit. But my observation at this point, as a consumer, is that it is unacceptable that the recommended installation process for addons should be in such a mess. Customers should not have to read through numerous posts on Avsim and other forums to know what they need to do to install their addons. And even then not be sure they are doing the right thing (there are always several posts that have alternate views of what to do.) I think that LM needs to get this in hand and set up installation protocols that automatically install the addons where they should be.

• Upvote 3

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

V3 also recommended to install via "addons" and use the xml method. Nobody really paid much attention except Realair. 

I don't see how v4 is any different in this regard? 

You can still do both methods. Either the old way or the new way. The only benefit I can see to the xml method is that if you do a reinstall all the addons stay intact.  

1 minute ago, GHarrall said:

V3 also recommended to install via "addons" and use the xml method. Nobody really paid much attention except Realair. 

I don't see how v4 is any different in this regard? 

You can still do both methods. Either the old way or the new way. The only benefit I can see to the xml method is that if you do a reinstall all the addons stay intact.  

If you copy your addons outside Fs you only have to backup your scenery.cfg file and effect folder...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

And some addons can destroy your scenery config installing the "Old Way". As Bic posted above, Lorby Organiser is the way to go. Installed about 30 airports today using PAO.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

it seems that, for some reason, most of the developers (even those that work with LM such as ORBX and Carenado) will not cooperate in the recommended installation procedure.  It's rather frustrating as a consumer.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

They didn't in v3 either. 

Orbx has its reasons for installing into the main folder. Not sure about the others.

So far I have not encountered problems using this procedure: all scenarios (about 90 GB) I have installed them on an external folder
to Prepar3D v4 and load scenarios that interest me with the World - Scenary Library - Add Area while the planes, boats (even those for AI Traffic) I creating a  \ AddOns folder on C:\. On  \AddOns folder I created the folders \SimObjects - \Gauges - \Effects and \Sound. In \SimObjects folder
I created the \Airplanes and \Boats folders  and in these folders I have installed the related files as if they were the ones in the
main program of Prepar3D v4  then on C: \ProgramData \Lochkeed Martin \Prepar3d v4 with Notepad I opened simobjects.cfg by adding

[Entry.XX]  (Put the number next to the last one)              
Title=AddOn Airplanes
Path=C:\AddOns\SimObjects\Airplanes
Required=True
Active=True

[Entry.XX + 1]
Title=AddOn Boats
Path=C:\AddOns\SimObjects\Boats
Required=True
Active=True

on  gauges.cfg :

[Entry.XX]
Title=AddOn Gauges
Path=C:\AddOns\Gauges
Required=True
Active=True

on effects.cfg :

[Entry.XX]
Title=AddOn Effects
Path=C:\AddOns\Effects
Required=True
Active=True

on sound.cfg :

[Entry.XX]
Title=AddOn Sound
Path=C:\AddOns\Sound
Required=True
Active=True

The only files installed on the main Prepar3D v4 were those on \scenery \World \scenery for AI Traffic files of aircraft and boats.

1 hour ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

And some addons can destroy your scenery config installing the "Old Way". As Bic posted above, Lorby Organiser is the way to go. Installed about 30 airports today using PAO.

Only if it doesn't use Unicode text.

any addon that has a revised v4 installer should really have this covered. 

• Upvote 1

So far the responses here just re-enforce the point I am trying to make - this is all a mess. Whether it began in v3 or v4, LM created the problem and they need to do something about it.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

10 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

So far the responses here just re-enforce the point I am trying to make - this is all a mess. Whether it began in v3 or v4, LM created the problem and they need to do something about it.

I don't think LM need to do anything. The option is there to use the xml method if you think that doing re-installs is going to be something of value to you. Its just an option. Other than that, just carry on as you were.

3 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

I don't think LM need to do anything. The option is there to use the xml method if you think that doing re-installs is going to be something of value to you. Its just an option. Other than that, just carry on as you were.

Amen. Right now it's an option. Last time LM pulled the plug on backward compatibility there were so many complaints they had to issue a hotfix to bring it back. Go flying and enjoy yourself.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

3 hours ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

How do you install an airport with PAO that uses an .exe?

Mark

I find it curious that people are willing to point the finger at L-M and declare that they caused the problem and need to fix the problem, when in fact the problem is caused by developers refusing to conform to the new standards.  Why do you, as customers, allow the developers to not conform?  Why is that acceptable but improvements (and this process IS an improvement) are not?

• Upvote 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

18 minutes ago, WarpD said:

I find it curious that people are willing to point the finger at L-M and declare that they caused the problem and need to fix the problem, when in fact the problem is caused by developers refusing to conform to the new standards.  Why do you, as customers, allow the developers to not conform?  Why is that acceptable but improvements (and this process IS an improvement) are not?

I agree with you for the most part, however unless you are removing and reinstalling P3D itself and even then if you don't mind putting all the addons back in, what real difference does it make?

Having said that, developers should really get on board with this.