Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Performance difference between Nvidia's SSAA and P3D's own?

Inspector doesn't differentiate V3 from V4. So if you launch V4 V3 inspector settings are in full affect, and visa-versa.

You could rename one of the prepared.exe files and create a new Inspector app or just run the same setting for both V3 and V4.

note: renaming the preared.exe file will lose some of your settings

1 minute ago, stripealipe said:

Hmmmm, i don't really get it. Doesn't it default to 'application controlled' anyways?

So in your first test, you simply had the Nvidia control panel set to default and you got 24-26fps with 8xMSAA, and then you set the Nvidia control panel to 'app controlled' and then got 38-40fs?!

I think i'm missing something here....!

No. The latter two app controlled ones were panoramic shots (thus lower fps) and the ones non-app controlled external which were the first tests where external shots of the plane but not taking in as much scenery (non-panoramic). These latter were higher in FPS of course. I did internal and external fps notations on those.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

Question - If you were using Nvidia Inspector for P3Dv3 (still installed) and now you load up P3Dv4, does Inspector still run its profile or do we need to wait for a new Inspector version to recognize this version of P3D?  I have setup 4xSGSS in the sim but have no idea if my previous P3Dv3 Inspector settings are just overriding it.

Hi Mark,

nVidia inspector loads the same profile for every P3D version. The inspector does not recognise different P3D versions. What you can do is make different profiles for the different versions. For ex if you want to fly v3 either load up  the default driver values via the inspector or fire up a custom profile for v3 and when you fly v4 load up a new custom profile or of course driver defaults first. Keep in mind that every time you edit an P3D inspector profile you should clean the shader cache.

Im running my old v3 profile in v4 and im quite happy with it. For me the best visual is P3D 4xMSAA and inspector 4xSGSS. Thanks to the GTX 1080 gives me a good overall performance.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

Question - If you were using Nvidia Inspector for P3Dv3 (still installed) and now you load up P3Dv4, does Inspector still run its profile or do we need to wait for a new Inspector version to recognize this version of P3D?  I have setup 4xSGSS in the sim but have no idea if my previous P3Dv3 Inspector settings are just overriding it.

Good question, Mark. NI applies the profile to prepar3d.exe; both v3 and v4 use the same .exe file name so theoretically your v3 settings are also forced upon v4. I've created 2 profiles now- one for v3 and another for v4. I always apply whichever sim I'll be flying before launching P3D.

Cheers

As Mickeyj pointed out you can mix AA modes, MSAA gets applied first then SSAA gets applied to the whole screen after the MSAA is processed. While this discussion is interesting don't base your setup on AA settings alone , if you hit 100% GPU usage with just AA alone you've left yourself nothing for other settings that require GPU processing and will get degraded performance. AA should really be one of the last things visually you set otherwise you will end up chasing settings in an endless loop.