Sign in to follow this  
Mitch24

Weather Engine For P3D V4?

Hello, I can't seem to pose anywhere but here, so I just figured I would post.

Are there any new weather engines that are made for V4? I used to own ASN, but now that they have ditched P3D v4 and are forcing us to pay for their new software, I am not supporting them anymore.

Does anyone know of any others? Thank you. 

And what's the problem with paying for NEW software. ASN is two generations behind? Do you expect free upgrades forever?

I think you are being quite unrealistic.

IMHO ASP4 is the best but you also have REX, Opus and two freeware products.

Vic

• Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

28 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

And what's the problem with paying for NEW software. ASN is two generations behind? Do you expect free upgrades forever?

Vic

Agreed! 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

Agree, but how is ASN *two* generations behind..? (It's the one right before AS16)

ASN---->as16(gen1)------->ASP4(gen2)

I count two - ASP4 is a NEW product with improvements over AS16

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You don't have to pay the full price, since you own ASN you just the need to pay the upgrade to AS16.

BTW, welcome to Avsim Mitch! :cool:

• Upvote 1

I'm currently flying from KMEM to RJAA in the PMDG 777LR. Using Active Sky for P3Dv4 beta #2, and Active Sky Cloud Art. Over the Pacific at FL380 I flew over a beautiful shelf cloud that had scattered to broken clouds far below. The overcast layer that made up the shelf cloud extended to the horizon. About an hour later that overcast is breaking up very gradually in different quadrants, exposing in some places, a lower overcast, in other places broken clouds, in other places scattered and clear.

I set ASP4 max and minimum draw settings to full max so if there is a thousand mile wide overcast I see it to the horizon even at high flight levels.

What I'm trying to say is, HiFi Technologies does excellent work. With the many years of experience I have with them and their products, I have always been very pleased with the results in my flight sim and with the customer service they provide.

I would say that if you have an issue with the fairness in their policies, give them a kind letter or even a support ticket sharing how you feel, and I'm pretty sure you will know what I mean, they truly do care about their customers. I've seen it over and over in their forums. 

• Upvote 2

I also used to use fs2004, but then MS launched fs9, fsx, and even ms flight, and guess what? They wanted me to pay for the new versions.

Since you, the OP, are a Prepar3d user, I'm glad you're fine with their pricing policy regarding new versions... You bought version 1, and here you are at p3dv3.4 still for free. I like it too ...

Ah, and btw, I don't think there's anything worth the try as far as weather injection goes, other than AS16... They're UINIQUE in what they provide.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

21 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

Hello, I can't seem to pose anywhere but here, so I just figured I would post.

Are there any new weather engines that are made for V4? I used to own ASN, but now that they have ditched P3D v4 and are forcing us to pay for their new software, I am not supporting them anymore.

Does anyone know of any others? Thank you. 

You only have to pay full price if you don't own another version.  If you own P3Dv3, it is a good discount.

From what I understand, there is a lot of work in making 32bit software into 64bit.  I don't mind paying for the developer to take his time and effort to do the work.  I don't like doing work for free myself.

Bob

In my opinion AS16 is a MUST HAVE for P3D... One of the best addons for P3D ever with ASCA.

On 6/18/2017 at 11:58 AM, vgbaron said:

It's not "NEW" software. It's software that already exists that was ported to P3D V4. Companies do this so that sucker users will be forced to pay for their "new" product.

1 hour ago, Mitch24 said:

It's not "NEW" software. It's software that already exists that was ported to P3D V4. Companies do this so that sucker users will be forced to pay for their "new" product.

You obviously haven't a clue, do you? Other than the fact that ASN and ASP4 are weather programs written by the same company - they are not the same. AS16 was completely rewritten to do some unique things that ASN was unable to do. Beyond that I cannot discuss but rest assured - AS16 and ASP4 are new.

By your logic, when Mercedes comes out with a "new" model, it should be free - it's just a product that already existed, just cleaned up  for the new year.  See how far THAT idea flies.

However, you are entitled to your opinion, even if it's completely incorrect.

Vic

To answer your OP, try REX4 Weather Architect.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

23 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

You obviously haven't a clue, do you? Other than the fact that ASN and ASP4 are weather programs written by the same company - they are not the same. AS16 was completely rewritten to do some unique things that ASN was unable to do. Beyond that I cannot discuss but rest assured - AS16 and ASP4 are new.

By your logic, when Mercedes comes out with a "new" model, it should be free - it's just a product that already existed, just cleaned up  for the new year.  See how far THAT idea flies.

However, you are entitled to your opinion, even if it's completely incorrect.

Vic

Ok.. keep re-purchasing new versions everytime a new P3D version comes out.. go ahead, it's not my $$$. I for one am not supporting companies that play this game. 

1 minute ago, Jim Young said:

To answer your OP, try REX4 Weather Architect.

Thank you, I will check them out