Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

The ACARS FMS section seems to be evolving

Chaps I couldn't find this mentioned in another thread in the forum but I'm just in my way to Orlando from Gatwick in the QOTS II and noticed that there are a few added bits and bobs to the ACARS segment of the FMS since the last update - can I ask Kyle and the chaps more about this? PMDG rarely do things for show, but I can't quite see any functionality at the moment - there are some really exciting greyed out headings like WT/BAL, ATC REQUEST and other tantalising items. Is this the start of some amazing PMDG ACARS functionality?
Cheers folks

I haven't looked yet, but it could be in prepartion for text feature between VATSIM/IVAO Controllers and Pilots.  I know that Aerosoft has worked on this, though it may not be implemented in the upcoming update to the A320 Series and A330 until it's compelte on the aforementioned networks.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

It would be great to see a collaborative development of an "in CDU"  ACARS/Datalink for use on the VATSIM/IVAO network.

CPDLC is the way forward (well real world it has been for around 2 decades) and it would be great to see this implemented. Hoppies ACARs is ok but has limitations and uses a separate CDU.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Didn't they always have greyed out options in the FMC under certain pages?  FMC COMM seemed to have a few IIRC

• Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

12 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

Didn't they always have greyed out options in the FMC under certain pages?  FMC COMM seemed to have a few IIRC

I thought so too. I'm am very hopeful to expand ACARS/CPDLC functionality, but I  too thought these had been in there for a while as place holders. 

Eric Szczesniak

I've only flown the QOTSII once since the update.  I don't recall seeing any new FMC options, greyed out or not.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Noticed the ACARS menus as well. Also noticed the jet wash effect from the engines and APU. Nice!

I know that after the update, all my custom panel states got messed up and I was getting EICAS messages that never appeared before. I then went into the panel state and noticed the ACARS section in there. Ended up having to start from the PMDG panel states and work from there to get them back the way I had them before.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Weird, I didn't notice anything new.  Weren't the jet wash effects from the engines and APU always there???  I know they had changed them to that awful dirt looking effect and it was still the same after the update.  ???:mellow:

- Chris

Are the OOOI times new? (Off, Out, On In)

I noticed they do actually record correctly, based on parking brake position, gear struts uncompressing on rotation, etc.

I'd like to see at least the weather function work and perhaps interact with active sky like the radar does. Be great to request a metar or ATIS. 

6 hours ago, Orlaam said:

Weird, I didn't notice anything new.  Weren't the jet wash effects from the engines and APU always there???  I know they had changed them to that awful dirt looking effect and it was still the same after the update.  ???:mellow:

I have trouble spotting the jet blast effects now since PMDG reduced the effect after some folks complained about performance. Now that we're 64bit I wonder if they can up it again for those that would like it.

I really thought this effect was so cool and didn't notice any performance drop on my humble 6700K. (I don't see any drop with DL either)

P3Dv4 is soo sweet.

ICE

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

I'd like to see at least the weather function work and perhaps interact with active sky like the radar does. Be great to request a metar or ATIS.

METARs and TAFs uplinks would be relatively easy to implement.

As for ATIS, (as far as I know) there is currently no website/open source of real world D-ATIS (Digital Format ATIS), which is what you would ideally need.

I really hope they will work on that too.

10 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

I thought so too. I'm am very hopeful to expand ACARS/CPDLC functionality, but I  too thought these had been in there for a while as place holders. 

I doubt they will embark in making a CPDLC functionality based on this old and obsolete 3rd party programs.

An integrated ACARS function with Weather uplink and maybe a client for VAs would be relatively simple to produce... might it be the Pigeonworks project? Pigeons carry messages after all... :anonymose: Kyle?

• Upvote 1

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif