Sign in to follow this  
simtom

[P3D v4] Slow loading

Hello,

I recently switched from FSX: SE to P3D v4 and I'm still playing around with the settings. I did notice however that P3D loads up much slower then FSX: SE (which has more addons installed). 
Loading time is 2 minutes and then another 30 seconds to initialize.

The add-ons that I currently use with P3D are:
- ENVTEX
- FTX Global
- FTX openLC NA
- URP v1.1

I've also included my settings. I hope someone can clear things up for me as to why the loading times have increased significantly (I guess this probably has to do with the high resolution textures?).

Video (skip to 2:05 to see the initialization):

Settings:

NFBNmTA.png

g3uB1tk.png

g4DdvOA.png

MAGAsSf.png

Scenery library:
38kUE6x.png

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

See the AVSIM CTD Guide (V4.0 to be released shortly) and follow the directions to set up Process Monitor to monitor only P3DV4.  Once completed, you should be able to see exactly what is loading.  I plan to do the same thing shortly when I find time as my loading times are long too (to the setup screen).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

See the AVSIM CTD Guide (V4.0 to be released shortly) and follow the directions to set up Process Monitor to monitor only P3DV4.  Once completed, you should be able to see exactly what is loading.  I plan to do the same thing shortly when I find time as my loading times are long too (to the setup screen).

Best regards,

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thank you for the tip. I'll try that tomorrow and report back.

I take it this is not loading from an SSD?

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Just now, Lenny777 said:

No, it's not. I'm using a WD Black for all my games and simulators.

Just now, simtom said:

No, it's not. I'm using a WD Black for all my games and simulators.

I'm loading from an WD as well and similar load times. Dang I wish those SSDs would come down in cost!

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

10 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Mine is loading from a Samsung M.2 NVMe 960 EVO SSD, one of the fastest SSD's on the market (if still not the fastest).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

56 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

I'm loading from an WD as well and similar load times. Dang I wish those SSDs would come down in cost!

I, and others, are also seeing the same long load times using SSD drives. Go figure..........

Edited by W2DR
ediited becuase i kan't spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

You know I've noticed what when I load up P3DV4 first time for the day, it takes a long time to spool up, but if I shut it down and tinker with some addon or something then boot up the sim again, its a lot quicker the second time around.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

If you have enable TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 (4096 TEXTURE SIZE) and/or have installed AI aircraft, it will influence the loading heavily.

Now and then I have to delete p3d.cfg  and the sim goes back to normal, try and see if that's help?

This: TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. I only use "9", which I consider sufficient on my rig and it basically doubled loading times. For some sceneries such as Switzerland Professional X, it even takes four times (!) longer to load now (I guess cause this is a photoscenery as basis).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

This: TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. I only use "9", which I consider sufficient on my rig and it basically doubled loading times. For some sceneries such as Switzerland Professional X, it even takes four times (!) longer to load now (I guess cause this is a photoscenery as basis).

I haven't added that line to my config, is it something you would recommend?

Something else I've noticed as well are these stutters. I know there's a thread about that but I'm not sure if I'm having the same stutters:

13 hours ago, simtom said:

Hello,

I recently switched from FSX: SE to P3D v4 and I'm still playing around with the settings. I did notice however that P3D loads up much slower then FSX: SE (which has more addons installed). 
Loading time is 2 minutes and then another 30 seconds to initialize... 

Makes perfect sense to me. It is a 64bit app which means it is capable of and does load more into RAM. Loading twice to three times as much into RAM has to come into play somewhere. 

Considering it take 10 to 15 minutes to load our FFS Level D simulator at work, 2.5 minutes is more than tolerable. Go make a cup of coffee.

2 minutes ago, KenG said:

Makes perfect sense to me. It is a 64bit app which means it is capable of and does load more into RAM. Loading twice to three times as much into RAM has to come into play somewhere. 

Considering it take 10 to 15 minutes to load our FFS Level D simulator at work, 2.5 minutes is more than tolerable. Go make a cup of coffee.

Yeah, that makes sense. 2.5 minutes seems reasonable then ;)

On 6/18/2017 at 11:57 PM, Jim Young said:

Best regards,

Jim

I did setup the Process Monitor and it looks like Orbx is causing the long loading times, especially the Libraries.