Sign in to follow this  
simtom

[P3D v4] Slow loading

One of the big time killers, if you have it installed, is the Global AI Ship Traffic.

I sort of look at like conducting a preflight IRL. You may WANT to jump in and fly but you really should be following proper procedure.

Ditto with your sim system.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, simtom said:

Hello,

I recently switched from FSX: SE to P3D v4 and I'm still playing around with the settings. I did notice however that P3D loads up much slower then FSX: SE (which has more addons installed). 
Loading time is 2 minutes and then another 30 seconds to initialize.

The add-ons that I currently use with P3D are:
- ENVTEX
- FTX Global
- FTX openLC NA
- URP v1.1

If you plan on adding more Orbx sceneries they require that mesh resolution be set at 5M.

On 6/19/2017 at 5:44 AM, simtom said:

I haven't added that line to my config, is it something you would recommend?

Something else I've noticed as well are these stutters. I know there's a thread about that but I'm not sure if I'm having the same stutters:

If you want to be able to see the stutters better, go ahead and add that line (you do realize I am joking? ) 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

2 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

If you want to be able to see the stutters better, go ahead and add that line (you do realize I am joking? ) 

Yes, I do. I just wanted to know if it's something worth trying out (while not looking at performance).

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

On 2017-06-18 at 8:55 PM, Olmba said:

If you have enable TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 (4096 TEXTURE SIZE) and/or have installed AI aircraft, it will influence the loading heavily.

Same experience here. I experimented with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and it caused load time to be extremely long. I don't know if that's because I only have 8GB on my 1080 (non-Ti), but when it finally loaded I observed (using CPUID HWMonitor) my video memory usage was at 99%. I backed it off to TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and load time is much more reasonable (perhaps a couple minutes) and video memory use is around 50% give or take depending on geo location. I think 8GB is just a little too low for EXP=10, unfortunately. I wonder if I can use EXP=9.5? :biggrin:

I know you say you haven't played with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP, but you could try installing HWMonitor (it's free) and check your VRAM usage. If you're up near 100% then maybe you need to lower some settings (texture resolution perhaps, or LOD radius) to free up some VRAM and improve load times.

Good luck,
-R

Forgive me, but why are you running 4096 textures if you do not have a 4K monitor?  Is there some other reason to do so?  I run 2048 textures (P3D v3).  I do not have a 4k monitor.

It probably does take more time to load from a HDD.  Have you defragged your HDD since your P3D install?

I am not a computer wonk, so I am just guessing.

Stephen Forsgren

15 hours ago, bills511 said:

If you plan on adding more Orbx sceneries they require that mesh resolution be set at 5M.

Yeah, I've changed it after starting this thread. I guess you don't see that much of a difference between 1m and 5m?

10 hours ago, xrobp said:

Same experience here. I experimented with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and it caused load time to be extremely long. I don't know if that's because I only have 8GB on my 1080 (non-Ti), but when it finally loaded I observed (using CPUID HWMonitor) my video memory usage was at 99%. I backed it off to TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and load time is much more reasonable (perhaps a couple minutes) and video memory use is around 50% give or take depending on geo location. I think 8GB is just a little too low for EXP=10, unfortunately. I wonder if I can use EXP=9.5? :biggrin:

I know you say you haven't played with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP, but you could try installing HWMonitor (it's free) and check your VRAM usage. If you're up near 100% then maybe you need to lower some settings (texture resolution perhaps, or LOD radius) to free up some VRAM and improve load times.

Good luck,
-R

Yesterday I added that line to my config (with a value of 9) and things are still running smoothly. I'm using a 1070 but haven't checked the VRAM usage yet. I'll do that today.

6 hours ago, BuddyDog said:

Forgive me, but why are you running 4096 textures if you do not have a 4K monitor?  Is there some other reason to do so?  I run 2048 textures (P3D v3).  I do not have a 4k monitor.

It probably does take more time to load from a HDD.  Have you defragged your HDD since your P3D install?

Just for testing actually. I've changed it to High and I get better performance now.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BuddyDog said:

Texture size and screen resolution don't have nothing to do with each other :-)

I personally do not see any differences in loading time, but also not in quality when swithing from 2048 to 4096 textures.

7 hours ago, simtom said:

Yesterday I added that line to my config (with a value of 9) and things are still running smoothly. I'm using a 1070 but haven't checked the VRAM usage yet. I'll do that today.

Yeah you should be good with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9. I think 9 is the best setting for an 8GB card, as I believe your 1070 would be. Should only take you to around 50% VRAM use, and you'll have nice sharp textures out to a very good distance. Probably works well on 6GB cards too, but likely too high for 4GB cards.

6 hours ago, xrobp said:

Yeah you should be good with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9. I think 9 is the best setting for an 8GB card, as I believe your 1070 would be. Should only take you to around 50% VRAM use, and you'll have nice sharp textures out to a very good distance. Probably works well on 6GB cards too, but likely too high for 4GB cards.

Exactly my experience with my 1070. I'm very pleased with the results. 

• Upvote 2

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

22 hours ago, xrobp said:

It's indeed working perfectly for me. Very pleased so far.

• Upvote 1