Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

Snow White in Lugano

Guest Peter Sidoli

I had to fly from the UK to Lugano Switzerland to retrieve a Citation 500 which had been snowed in.I flew scheduled from Heathrow to Zurich and caught a connecting flight in a Saab 2000 to Lugano.We removed and cleaned off the Citation and I then flew her back to the UK.These shots are interesting as they show what the mountains should look like under snow.Do try the very hazardous approach into Lugano the glideslope is an amazing 6.65 deg (anyone know what the steepest glideslope in the world is ?)Follow the link to the screenshot forumhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=1326&page=Peterhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/140666.jpg

Nice shots Peter, would have been a fun flight. I'll have to try that approach out and no, I don't know what the steepest glideslope is but I'm sure it is going to reveal itself sometime in this thread.Safe flyin'

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hmmm just had a quick try at the Lugano IGS RWY 01 ... steep indeedee! I like the way one has to ignore the PAPI until passing D3.0 ILU. :)Is there any addon scenery for Lugano BTW?Edit* This one looks good : http://www.cr-software.com/en/VFRAirfields_Swiss_01a.htmhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/140686.jpg

regardsEd

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/edetroit100/edley.gifAMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1024Mb PC3200 DDR, 300Gb HD 128Mb DDR Nvidia 6600GT PCI Express, Audigy 2 ZSCH Products Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quadrant

Guest Peter Sidoli

EdI am hoping that FSX will give us the whole of the Alps in high detail.I too would like addon scenery for Lugano.Peter

I am salty because Europe has stolen the U.S. East Coast's winter. :) ;)Hey edetroit, which Citation is that? It doesn't look like the eaglesoft version to me (looks a little better).

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Awesome shots Peter.How far is Lugano from Zurich. That whole area must be a great place to visit. I have a friend who did a train trip through the Alps to Milan, and he still raves about it years after. Our Rockies (out where I live) are quite different.Bruce.

Guest Peter Sidoli

>Awesome shots Peter.>>How far is Lugano from Zurich. That whole area must be a>great place to visit. I have a friend who did a train trip>through the Alps to Milan, and he still raves about it years>after. Our Rockies (out where I live) are quite different.>>Bruce.>BruceLugano to Zurich is around 140 NM to the north. Milan Malpensa is the closest major airport. Lowish level over the Alps is the most spectacular way to go. I did a trip in a Seneca five VFR Sion to Milan Linate at around 11000 feet and it was an amazing trip flying a few hundred feet above glaciers and past the Matterhorn and Mont Blanc which towered above to nearly 16000 feet.The Capatain of the Saab 2000 must have a great and challenging job hopping between the airfields tucked away in those awesome mountains.Flying a jet isnt as much fun apart from the initial climbout. Soon even Mont Blanc looks small.Peter

Guest Peter Sidoli

Thanks for the infoPeter

Thanks for the info Peter. I agree that the regionals must have a ball getting in and out of the places! Bruce.

Try the ILS approach into Sion....in cloudy weather...quite thrilling. I believe you pick-up the glide slope at about 11,000 ft IIRC, and 'dive bomb' into the valley to a localizer off-set the RWY HDG and 'set away' from the threshold by about 1/2 mile. If cloudy, you hopefully break into clear visibility to make your alignment to the threshold....pretty tough to keep speed down on these GS's/conditions.I've only flown these in FS, but IMO, Sion is actually a bit more scary than Lugano.I've been sim flying in allot of maountainous regions lately, and 6% slopes are not entirely unusual. No doubt 'earpopping' approaches in real life at VS 1,000 fps +

Guest JohnEGPF

Very nice pics:).Lugano approach is one of my favorites in fs2004.I have a video from Just planes which follows various Crossair flights, one of which is Basel-Lugano and return flight in a Saab 2000, stunning flight, from memory I think the captain landed on RW 19 and his final turn was VERY close to a mountain on the left.Must dig the video out and watch it again.John

Hello Ahuimanu, the Citation is freeware by VENEAVIONES CESSNA CITATION II ..find the model here at AVSIMand the paint is by me: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...hor=&CatID=rootThe panel is also by me but OMHDO.

regardsEd

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/edetroit100/edley.gifAMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1024Mb PC3200 DDR, 300Gb HD 128Mb DDR Nvidia 6600GT PCI Express, Audigy 2 ZSCH Products Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quadrant

I too have flown into Sion in FS and it was something.In real life, I have been through there. Most of the valleys I saw in Switz had very steep sides. It wasn't like Colorado USA topography at all. The Lauterbrunnen valley (north of Sion) has almost vertical sides at one point near Murren.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I have vacationed in the Swiss alps (Interlaken, Bern, Zug, and Sion region) and it IS great to visit. The year I was there they had a warm winter, so the skiing was not as good as usual, they said. But the trip made up for it by the scenery. Just taking trains around to these little towns was great. I suggest taking the train from Interlaken up the Lauterbrunnen valley to Grindelwald. The town of Murren is only accessible by cog railway, and it's neat.Finally, if you are familiar with James Bond movies, the 1969 "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was filmed nearby. The final scene where Bond went after Telly Savalas (the bad guy in the movie) was shot at the Schilthorn. I skied down that run where the guys were shooting at Bond in the movie. :)Definitely a great trip you should do. Especially if you're into FS, hehe. I have pics very much like Peter's, where you can see the cloud deck obscuring the valley floor. I skied into one of those cloud decks. Talk about scary, especially since they don't mark their ski runs very much in that place. You are right, it's NOTHING like Colorado.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB