Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

EICAS message SPEED CONFIG

Dumb question as I'm still learning this plane.  But I sometimes see the yellow EICAS message "SPEED CONFIG".

I searched through the entire FCOM and even the Internet but couldn't find anything on this message.  Anyone have any idea where I can find it spelled out in the book?

Thanks.

Jack Sawyer

If I just jump in the plane and tell it short fuel and empty weight and take off without setting anything up.  Simply a test flight by hand, nothing at all sophisticated.

I have been doing the tutorial but sometimes I just want to take off for a quick flight around the airport without any FMS setup.

It's just that I can't find info on that EICAS message anywhere.  Even the internet, I spent a while looking, no info on it.  I'd just like to know what it means depsite doing what I'm doing, there must be a reason for it, just don't know what is means.

Thanks.

Jack Sawyer

6 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

If I just jump in the plane and tell it short fuel and empty weight and take off without setting anything up.  Simply a test flight by hand, nothing at all sophisticated.

I have been doing the tutorial but sometimes I just want to take off for a quick flight around the airport without any FMS setup.

It's just that I can't find info on that EICAS message anywhere.  Even the internet, I spent a while looking, no info on it.  I'd just like to know what it means depsite doing what I'm doing, there must be a reason for it, just don't know what is means.

Hi Jack

I can't find that particular message either, but it (or they -- could be two separate messages) is telling you that you have not set up the FMC and other systems properly.  Not too surprising since you haven't set up the FMC and other systems properly!  Why not learn to fly it the way it is supposed to be flown?  Frankly, I'm surprised you are not seeing a whole bunch of EICAS messages.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I understand what you're saying completely.  I work 767's as an avionics tech in real life, I know I should be setting it up correctly, I'm just wondering about this one particular message.  There's absolutely no information anywhere on it yet it's right there in yellow on my EICAS.

Jack Sawyer

4 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I understand what you're saying completely.  I work 767's as an avionics tech in real life, I know I should be setting it up correctly, I'm just wondering about this one particular message.  There's absolutely no information anywhere on it yet it's right there in yellow on my EICAS.

You must have access to RW 767 manuals.  Is it in there?  Also I'm guessing there are really two messages, "speed"= not enough information to calculate VSpeeds and/or other speeds (climb, cruise, flap deployment max speeds, etc.) and "Config" = a general warning that the aircraft is not configured for flight. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I no longer work full time for medical reasons so I can't access them.

And it isn't two separate messages, it's one, yellow SPEED CONFIG.

Jack Sawyer

My feeling about this is that it may be a bug, but one that  isn't important.  I would be much more concerned if you did configure it properly and still got a strange EICAS message, or if you neglected to configure something and did not receive a message (e.g. not turning on a fuel pump for a tank with fuel, or having an X-Feed closed that should be open and not seeing any warning message). 

Sorry about your medical issue.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

It's not in the QRH I have (but I haven't looked in the official PMDG one).

My guess, however, is that it is probably connected to the fact that you haven't completed the CDU preflight procedure with weights and V speeds etc, which the aeroplane requires to, for instance, generate the flap bugs on the speedtape.

6 hours ago, Mike777 said:

My feeling about this is that it may be a bug, but one that  isn't important.  I would be much more concerned if you did configure it properly and still got a strange EICAS message, or if you neglected to configure something and did not receive a message (e.g. not turning on a fuel pump for a tank with fuel, or having an X-Feed closed that should be open and not seeing any warning message). 

Sorry about your medical issue.

Mike

Thanks Mike

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Screenshot?

I an reproduce it any time so I'll do it today and post a screenshot Kevin.  

2 hours ago, skelsey said:

It's not in the QRH I have (but I haven't looked in the official PMDG one).

My guess, however, is that it is probably connected to the fact that you haven't completed the CDU preflight procedure with weights and V speeds etc, which the aeroplane requires to, for instance, generate the flap bugs on the speedtape.

I looked in the PMDG one, the one with like 1200+ pages, nothing.  I'm sure this is what it is but I'd like to know why it wasn't in the huge document.  I'm not complaining about it, just very curious from a former avionics tech's standpoint.  I've never come across this message.

Thanks.

Jack Sawyer

9 hours ago, Mike777 said:

My feeling about this is that it may be a bug, but one that  isn't important.

Literally not much to go on here, but we're already claiming 'bug' without actually tracking things down.

Nice...

Kyle Rodgers

11 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Literally not much to go on here, but we're already claiming 'bug' without actually tracking things down.

I'm not making an issue about a bug, just pointing out  that if the plane is pretty much not configured it wouldn't be surprising if some unexpected message popped up, or that PMDG didn't notice that that could happen.  I'm assuming that you test with the plane being configured as it should be, with then some anomalies added, rather than starting from some unknown mostly non-configured state.  I have no way of knowing in just what state the aircraft is when the message pops up. 

Why get all bent out of shape when I said "it may be a bug, but one that isn't important"?  PMDG can't be expected to test every conceivable combination of aircraft settings.

I am curious to know, along with the O.P., why the message can't be found in the manuals though.

Mike

Edited by Mike777
  • Upvote 1

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Isn't  Speed Config when the two pitot systems disagree in the airspeed and the airplanes automated system can't trim the elevator STAB correctly?

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I will send a screenshot when I get home.

I doubt it's a bug but I am very curious as to what it means.

Here's how I get it.

Plane in runway, engines running, use CDU, Short Fuel, no Payload.

Flaps to 25 or 30.  Message.  Take off and retract gear and flaps.  Message still in view.

Land, message in view.

I do know this isn't correct but I occasionally like to test things without a full flight plan.

Jack Sawyer