Sign in to follow this  
niyoko

MyTraffic6a Aircraft Model Lighting

I first want to say thanks to @Poppet for the great walk through for getting My Traffic 6 running in Prepar3D v4.

I installed MY Traffic 6 this afternoon and loaded up KCLT to see how the models for the AI aircraft handle the dynamic lighting. Not terribly to my surprise, it was a mixed bag. The PMDG 777 looks great. The missing wing textures and pre-lit fuselage textures, not so much.

tKevvvT.png

Looks more a problem with the unrealistic low light spreading of the dynamic lighting.

In real the light would spread much more, now its boundaries are way to sharp and reaching farther away.

https://goo.gl/images/TcfWT7

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

4 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

Looks more a problem with the unrealistic low light spreading of the dynamic lighting.

In real the light would spread much more, now its boundaries are way to sharp and reaching farther away.

https://goo.gl/images/TcfWT7

Agreed. The ones used in the scenery seem to act a little more like spotlights. They should be more diffuse light lighting up the surrounding area. I haven't played around with the SDK, so I'm not what types of lights are available to developers. It looks like point and spotlights so far, but as time goes on I'm sure the devs will find more tricks to increase the quality.

Qqef7Vk.png

Back to default traffic. 

Seeing your second screenshot shows the real Problem: the AI from MyTraffic stops way before the right spot so they still are in the dark.

Default AI is taxiing further so they also will be lit better by the "spotlights" 

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

I found these entries in the definition of a dynamic light effect in the Prepar3d SDK. I wish that we could play around with these values a bit. The description of the "spot light" attribute notes the default point type. I wonder if light could be made to act more like the flood lights in the photo above by manipulating the inner/outer angles and falloff.

Falloff Exponent

The exponent which controls the falloff of the light. Setting this to 2 is equivalent to inverse square falloff.

Falloff Exponent=0.00

Spot Light
If this is checked, makes the light a spot light instead of default point light.
Type=28

Inner Angle

The inner angle of the spot light illumination.

Inner Cone Angle=0.00

Outer Angle
The outer angle of the spot light illumination.
Outer Cone Angle=0.00

I played around with the Visual FX Tool in the SDK. You can test and tweak a lot of the FX. I created a point light that lit up a 2000m area. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

Seeing your second screenshot shows the real Problem: the AI from MyTraffic stops way before the right spot so they still are in the dark.

Default AI is taxiing further so they also will be lit better by the "spotlights" 

This is an interesting observation.  I would have thought the taxi location would be defined by parking spot in the AFCAD, and should be identical for all AI, regardless of source.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)