Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

New Computer for P3D v4 (et alia)

I'm fixing to replace my development computer which has served me well for several years now, but is beginning to show it's age in some not-so-friendly ways.

That means my main simulator computer will be bumped over to my development desk, and I'll get something newer, better, and faster to replace it.

Some caveats are in order. I must buy from Amazon because that's where I have sufficient credit open. There is one available there that meets my budget limit, and offers what appears to be the best "bang for the buck."  My question is simple enough, will this be satisfactory for the next few years?

EDIT: I just read all of the glowing reviews, but one thing struck me as odd. There is no optical drive included, yet it ships with several CDs/DVDs that have extra software and drivers. Is this a new trend? :huh:

System: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core | Intel Z270 Chipset | 32GB DDR4 | 3TB HDD | 240GB SSD | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card | 1x DVI | 1x HDMI | 1x DisplayPort

Connectivity: 6 x USB 3.1 | 2 x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | 802.11AC Wi-Fi | Audio: 7.1 Channel | Keyboard and Mouse

Special Feature: Liquid Cooling | 802.11AC Wi-Fi | Tempered Glass Side Case Panel | RGB 7 Colors Gaming Keyboard | 10 Color LED Light

Warranty: 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty Free Lifetime Tech Support

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Supreme-SLC8600A-i7-7700K-802-11AC/dp/B06XGXDXZF/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1497903747&sr=8-6&keywords=i7+gaming+computer

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

I'm fixing to replace my development computer which has served me well for several years now, but is beginning to show it's age in some not-so-friendly ways.

That means my main simulator computer will be bumped over to my development desk, and I'll get something newer, better, and faster to replace it.

Some caveats are in order. I must buy from Amazon because that's where I have sufficient credit open. There is one available there that meets my budget limit, and offers what appears to be the best "bang for the buck."  My question is simple enough, will this be satisfactory for the next few years?

EDIT: I just read all of the glowing reviews, but one thing struck me as odd. There is no optical drive included, yet it ships with several CDs/DVDs that have extra software and drivers. Is this a new trend? :huh:

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Supreme-SLC8600A-i7-7700K-802-11AC/dp/B06XGXDXZF/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1497903747&sr=8-6&keywords=i7+gaming+computer

Is there any more specific information regarding the components? Like mobo brand and model? I would go for a larger ssd drive. Something like a 500gig Samsung evo.  And yes DVD drives are pretty rare. But it would be easy enough to hook one up if needed.  The basic build spec looks really good otherwise.

Matt Wilson

Lots of people are buying portable DVD drives.  Just plug it into one of your USB ports.  I have a full drive in the system I just built a new system but had issues installed the DVD Drive as my cooler fans were in the way.  It is very rare that anyone would use a DVD drive anymore.  Flash drives are the new thing.

The USB 3.1 ports won't work as 3.1 ports unless you have compatible drives to connect to it - https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-usb-3-1-when-will-it-be-released-and-what-will-it-do-for-pcs/.  But the future may make using 3.1 tech much easier so you are set up for that whenever it happens. 

Your system looks nice and will last more than a few years.  Portable drives can be had for around $14 and up.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Is there any more specific information regarding the components? Like mobo brand and model? I would go for a larger ssd drive. Something like a 500gig Samsung evo.  And yes DVD drives are pretty rare. But it would be easy enough to hook one up if needed.  The basic build spec looks really good otherwise.

MB is: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ARMOR 11G

I can actually use one of the half-dozen other CD/DVD drives from my network machines if necessary. Unfortunately what is listed is what is being included in the build. I can easily order a larger SSD. There actually is no provision for even installing a DVD/Blueray drive in the case.

I just wanted to get some feedback so I don't wind up buying a "pig in a blanket..." :laugh:

My current development computer has lately been randomly burping up BSODs, usually at the most inopportune time, such as the middle of updating my GPS, working in Max 2012 on a model, etc.

Once I've got the new sim computer up and running, and migrate all my work software over to the "old sim computer, I'll scrub the drive on the dev machine and reinstall Win7 for a(nother) backup computer

Fr. Bill    

The first time I installed my PC I was also in the situation:

I had no DVD drive but my network drivers were on a DVD :-D So I couldn't connect to the network to download the drivers.

So I copied the drivers onto my USB 3.0 stick which already had the Windows installer on it and installed the drivers from there.

The rest can be downloaded, and most of the time the additional CD/DVDs on complete PCs from Amazon and others only contains bloatware and stuff you will never need. Never missed the DVD drive since.

12 hours ago, n4gix said:

MB is: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ARMOR 11G

I can actually use one of the half-dozen other CD/DVD drives from my network machines if necessary. Unfortunately what is listed is what is being included in the build. I can easily order a larger SSD. There actually is no provision for even installing a DVD/Blueray drive in the case.

I just wanted to get some feedback so I don't wind up buying a "pig in a blanket..." :laugh:

My current development computer has lately been randomly burping up BSODs, usually at the most inopportune time, such as the middle of updating my GPS, working in Max 2012 on a model, etc.

Once I've got the new sim computer up and running, and migrate all my work software over to the "old sim computer, I'll scrub the drive on the dev machine and reinstall Win7 for a(nother) backup computer

That is your graphics card not motherboard.  

Matt Wilson

Bill, I see PCs with no optical drives a lot now.  Windows comes on a USB drive now. :-)

I hope you don't plan on having P3D v4 on that SSD along with Win10.  

It's going to be plenty fast enough.....tons of 7200 rpm storage.  Great video card.

If this is your new development PC I doubt you want to overclock more than 4.2ghz.

Considering the quality of the other parts I would imagine the power supply is at least 550 watt, hopefully more like 600-650 watt.

CK

Hi n4gix,

That price in Amazon looks very good IMHO, now looking at the specs published there is no information about system memory, motherboard and no optical drive. The primary SSD is borderline as storage capability, especially if you'll use your PC for normal use, There is a company called jetlinesystems where you can compare price and systems specs to this one on Amazon. I do understand the credit line issue, so the problems that you might encounter and affect your performance with this computer will be mainly from system memory speed, if the motherboard is capable to overclock easy (if you want to OC) and storage on SSD. Now how long this PC will last is totally unknown, depends on parts and this will bring the question about warranty. I just noticed is 1 year parts (which ones?), anyhow if you'll go beyond 1 year you will be ok

I do hope you make a wise decision and wish you good luck.

Edited by killthespam
warranty

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

That is your graphics card not motherboard.  

Oops! I wasn't paying enough attention. In any case, the MB is MSI, but no one has cited a specific model number. The installed 32MB of system RAM are 4x8GB DDR4 19300's according to one reviewer's comments.

Fr. Bill    

2 hours ago, FaxCap said:

Bill, I see PCs with no optical drives a lot now.  Windows comes on a USB drive now. :-)

I hope you don't plan on having P3D v4 on that SSD along with Win10.  

It's going to be plenty fast enough.....tons of 7200 rpm storage.  Great video card.

If this is your new development PC I doubt you want to overclock more than 4.2ghz.

Considering the quality of the other parts I would imagine the power supply is at least 550 watt, hopefully more like 600-650 watt.

CK

Well, it comes already set up for 4.2 gHz but it is capable of more. This will be strictly a sim computer (mostly used for testing stuff), so will have all sims installed: FSX/A (box), FSX:SE, P3D v1, 2, 3 and 4, and FSW. The 4TB HD should easily handle these!

I will also be (re)installing Euro Truck Sim and American Truck Sim for my own pleasure (which seems increasingly difficult to find time for these days)...

The PS is cited by at least two reviews I've read as 800 watts. That should be more than adequate I should think.

The SSD will have only the operating system on it full-time. The sill "Package Cache" L-M insists on cramming onto the C: drive will only be there long enough to complete installation, then will be migrated to a separate folder on my 8TB drive!

I did go ahead and place my order last night and hopefully it will arrive on or around the 28th.

I have two Amazon accounts, one is the "store" account and the other is their Chase Visa card which I normally use. This purchase is being made on my "store" account so I can enjoy lower interest on my payments.

I do wish to thank everyone who's provided feedback, and will update this thread after I get it set up and running. I suspect that this will likely be my last major computer investment. Over the years I've bought 16 computers, all but four of them were assembled by me. :gaul:

Fr. Bill    

Well, this totally sucks. While in the other room for awhile, I returned to my desk to resume work and found my dev computer totally dead...

...as in it will no longer even start Windows 7. <sigh> Now I am using one of my older dev machines just to access the web. I can't seem to recall my email or Skype logins either, so they are dead to me for the time being.

Ah well, it's late and I'm tired so I guess I'll just wait until morning to go any further with trying to get things sorted out.

Fr. Bill    

First thing I would check of course, is the power supply..........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

30 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

First thing I would check of course, is the power supply..........

While that could be a problem, it seems unlikely since the computer passes the POST and Win7 "tries" to start. I don't think power supply would even allow this much progress.

In the morning when I'm not so tired, I'll take the HD out and see if I can get it running as a "slave" on this backup computer. Fortunately, since it was retired from my development desk, all the requisite software is still installed; Max2012, Photoshop CS 8, SDK, etc.

I had a feeling this was going to happen since the poor dev machine has been running 24/7 for over two years now. It has had at least one random BSOD nearly every day for the past week or so. :bengong:

Fr. Bill    

Windows 7 repair? Could simply be a boot sector error. (I'm presuming the drive is not clicking)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

20 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Windows 7 repair? Could simply be a boot sector error. (I'm presuming the drive is not clicking)

I dropped the old C: drive into my USB dock and took a look at it. There are no folders or files remaining, so I suspect both the Boot sector and the FAT (or whatever it's called now) is blown... :blush:

Oddly enough, I tried adding both drives from the old machine to serve as "slaves" but this backup machine kept trying to use them as the boot drive. For some other odd reason I'm never even prompted to drop to BIOS to configure the boot sequence... :blink:

Fortunately for me, my backup dev machine has now been re-synched with DropBox so all my "mission critical source files" are back on my local drive and I can continue work.

Interestingly enough, the drive that failed is a Seagate 2TB 7200. This is the third Seagate drive to fail in three years. I've never had a WD drive failure in the past 30 years! Needless to say I'll never buy another Seagate drive. :angry:

Fr. Bill