Sign in to follow this  
b1bmsgt

Virtualcol CRJ lack of drag in flight

I jumped on the Virtualcol CRJ as soon as I saw that it was available. I am very impressed by the increase in the quality of the VC and external textures, and the massive pack of liveries provided.

One thing I noticed, and this was brought up by someone else in another thread, is that the aircraft is way too "hot" in the air. By this, I mean that there is very little bleed off of speed when retarding the throttles. I have no idea if the actual aircraft is in fact like this, but I find it unacceptable in a sim aircraft.

Sooooooooooooo...

I went into the aircraft.cfg and did some experimentation. Conducting test flights out of Edwards AFB, I cmae up with 2 simple tweaks that help quite a bit. These are:

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar     =1.80000
parasite_drag_scalar   =1.0

After backing up your original file, change to

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar     =0.90000
parasite_drag_scalar   =2.50000

I like this a lot better. You can actually lose airspeed while descending if you want to. Big difference.

I have only tried this in the -200, but I would think that it should work in the other versions as well. Please report back if you decide to try it out!

Russ

• Upvote 3

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Hey thanks. Will give this a go on the 200 first!

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Never purchased a Virtualcol product before. Knew it would probably NOT be good.

Did not think it would be this bad. WoW!

Bill Moore

4 minutes ago, bill62 said:

Never purchased a Virtualcol product before. Knew it would probably NOT be good.

Did not think it would be this bad. WoW!

It all depends on your expectations, I guess. I have some of the FPS killer planes as well, and I have to say that I am leaning more and more towards frame rates at the expense of eye candy and system depth. In addition to the CRJ, I  have the Virtualcol Dash 8 and  E-Jets, and the more I fly them, the more I like them. I haven't touched the NGX in a month now, and I haven't missed it.

But, it's all a matter of opinion, of course...

Russ

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Formerly Young (😩)

I can respect that. I'm trying to merge the plane with other air files to make it flyable. Currently flying at 300 knots for 15 minutes with throttle pegging 0 is killing my buzz.  There's hope.

Bill Moore

One of the nice things you can do with Virtualcol aeroplanes, is soup the avionics up a lot with Ernie Alston's Integrated SimAvionics if you are missing stuff like complicated FMCs and such, and then you can have something with great frame rates which has very realistic systems too.

There is no getting away from the fact that Virtualcol's add-ons are not spectacular in the VC, but when you have all kinds of other add-ons running and you've crammed every fancy bit of eye-candy imaginable into your base sim, those better frame rates on the Virtualcol aeroplanes start to offset the less than stellar-looking cockpits. It's why I've bought quite a few of their aeroplanes even though I have many PMDGs, A2As, FSLs etc.

I appreciate the realism of those fancier sim aeroplanes of course, but there have been plenty of times where I've been coming into a fancy payware add-on airport, over photorealistic terrain with autogen over the top of it and AI airliners all over the place, and not had to worry about the sim turning into a slideshow or dinging that OOM sound as you try to get the wheels on the ground before the sim crashes out, because I know the Virtualcol ATR42 or Shorts 360 is not taxing my computer at all whereas something like the FlySimWare LearJet or the FSL Airbus A320 would have either bombed the sim the moment lined up for the ILS, or started dropping those frame rates considerably. Now of course we've less chance of an OOM with the advent of 64 bit sims, but smooth frame rates are still something which a more modest add-on aeroplane will certainly help with.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just now, Chock said:

One of the nice things you can do with Virtualcol aeroplanes, is soup the avionics up a lot with Ernie Alston's Integrated SimAvionics if you are missing stuff like complicated FMCs and such, and then you can have something with great frame rates which has very realistic systems too.

There is no getting away from the fact that Virtualcol's add-ons are not spectacular in the VC, but when you have all kinds of other add-ons running and you've crammed every fancy bit of eye-candy imaginable into your base sim, those better frame rates on the Virtualcol aeroplanes start to offset the less than stellar-looking cockpits. It's why I've bought quite a few of their aeroplanes even though I have many PMDGs, A2As, FSLs etc.

I appreciate the realism of those fancier sim aeroplanes of course, but there have been plenty of times where I've been coming into a fancy payware add-on airport, over photorealistic terrain with autogen over the top of it and AI airliners all over the place, and not had to worry about the sim turning into a slideshow or dinging that OOM sound as you try to get the wheels on the ground before the sim crashes out because I know the Virtualcol ATR42 or Shorts 360 is not taxing my computer at all. Now of course we've less chance of an OOM with the advent of 64 bit sims, but smooth frame rates are still something which a more modest add-on aeroplane will certainly help with.

The CRJ VC is an order of magnitude above their earlier stuff, IMHO. Way better than the E-Jets. When I saw it, I was very impressed. Great progress!

Russ

(I have no idea what an order of magnitude is, really, but I like the way it sounds. Very Hawkingesque, don't you think?)

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Formerly Young (😩)

How does it compare to say the default fsx crj?

This helps greatly, thank you! On my first flight I had to shake my head - Throttle at idle, level flight and it would not slow down at all? :ohmy:

Not a bad plane or VC for the price. It's great to finally have a CRJ 200 in the sim!

201761915171067.jpeg

201761919912444.jpeg

201761919942569.jpeg

i9 10850K, RTX3080, MSFS.

My avsim uploads      Myflightsim.to uploads

So does this fix get drag to a reasonable level?  That's the one thing holding me back from a purchase right now.  Does this work on the 700 and 900 too?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

So does this fix get drag to a reasonable level?  That's the one thing holding me back from a purchase right now.  Does this work on the 700 and 900 too?

Yes indeed it does on the 200. I haven't tried it though on the other variants.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

9 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

Yes indeed it does on the 200. I haven't tried it though on the other variants.

Did the fix on the 700 and flew it on Vatsim Tuesday night with BVARTCC. Airspeed was very controllable. No problem slowing down and keeping it under 250 below 10000.

Russ

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Formerly Young (😩)

Thanks everyone 

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

he CRJ VC is an order of magnitude above their earlier stuff, IMHO. Way better than the E-Jets. When I saw it, I was very impressed. Great progress!

Russ

On 6/20/2017 at 8:29 AM, b1bmsgt said:

(I have no idea what an order of magnitude is, really, but I like the way it sounds. Very Hawkingesque, don't you think?)

10 times, Russ, 10 times. Your claiming that the VC is that much better than the last one. I think you're underselling that cockpit. Let's go for THREE orders of magnitude better. It's that good!

(no, I don't have this plane - I don't usually buy low-end payware - but I might just purchase it, because frame rates).

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I'm a type rated CRJ Captain. I haven't tried these planes yet as I've been on a trip for the last few days, so can't comment on how they fly, but I can tell you that the 700/900 are a little more difficult to slow. now nothing like throttles at idle in level flight holding 300kias, but it does take some decent planning, especially in the 900. Now the 200 is a different story, pull the throttles back on that and you'll fall out of the sky pretty quick