Sign in to follow this  
Mitch24

P3D V4 Dynamic Lighting FPS problem

Hello, I don't think I am the only one with this problem, but I am having a terrible time with P3D dynamic lighting. My FPS goes down to 7. Is Lockheed looking into this? Dynamic lighting is so beautiful but I can't use it because it cripples my system!!!! Is there anything I can do to help it?

Thoughts? 

7 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

Hello, I don't think I am the only one with this problem, but I am having a terrible time with P3D dynamic lighting. My FPS goes down to 7. Is Lockheed looking into this? Dynamic lighting is so beautiful but I can't use it because it cripples my system!!!! Is there anything I can do to help it?

Thoughts? 

Lowering the AA settings removed any FPS hit, hopefully it works for you. 

Bob

4 minutes ago, BobP said:

Lowering the AA settings removed any FPS hit, hopefully it works for you. 

Bob

Lowering it in P3D settings or in my Inspector Settings? Lowering them in the sim did nothing for me.

6 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

Lowering it in P3D settings or in my Inspector Settings? Lowering them in the sim did nothing for me.

In the sim for me worked. Sorry.

8 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

Try MSAA. At night using high SSAA will be a fps cruncher. I'd suggest 8XMSAA to get  nice smooth graphics without the big frame hit you get with supersampling. Also any 4XSSAA and above gives a huge GPU load. If you are going to use SS then 2XSSAA would be the max.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Whats kind of strange is that with the PMDG 747 if I use landing lights or taxi lights it gives my GPU utilization about a 6% hit. When I use them both together it gives my GPU utilization a 30% hit.

Daytime, I have dynamic lighting deactivated. Nighttime I have shadows deactivated.

It helps.

I have a gtx1080ti

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

12 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Try MSAA. At night using high SSAA will be a fps cruncher. I'd suggest 8XMSAA to get  nice smooth graphics without the big frame hit you get with supersampling. Also any 4XSSAA and above gives a huge GPU load. If you are going to use SS then 2XSSAA would be the max.

Ill experiment with this but if you are talking in the sim I literally tried everything and nothing helped. I was using FSDT's new KCLT and FB KMSP and those dynamic lights just cripple my system

Just now, Mitch24 said:

Ill experiment with this but if you are talking in the sim I literally tried everything and nothing helped. I was using FSDT's new KCLT and FB KMSP and those dynamic lights just cripple my system

In the sim. What kind of system do you have? If you use a demanding plane such as TFDi's 717 in a big payware airport, at NIGHT I monitored the fps and load on the GPU and supersampling is a killer with dynamic lighting anything above 2x. In the daytime I found this less of an issue though 4X SS and above is a GPU hog.

i7-7700k 4.2 GHz, DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Cooler 4 Heatpipes 120mm PWM Fan with Blue LED, ASRock 270 PRO4 MOBO, ZOTAC ampExtreme 1080 8GB, 16 GB DDR4 Ripjaws, Thermaltake Core V71 Case, RM850xCorsair psu, ADATA M.2 2280 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WIndows 10 Pro, 2 TB Samsung and 3 TB WD HDs .

1 minute ago, Lenny777 said:

In the sim. What kind of system do you have? If you use a demanding plane such as TFDi's 717 in a big payware airport, at NIGHT I monitored the fps and load on the GPU and supersampling is a killer with dynamic lighting anything above 2x. In the daytime I found this less of an issue though 4X SS and above is a GPU hog.

i7-7700k 4.2 GHz, DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Cooler 4 Heatpipes 120mm PWM Fan with Blue LED, ASRock 270 PRO4 MOBO, ZOTAC ampExtreme 1080 8GB, 16 GB DDR4 Ripjaws, Thermaltake Core V71 Case, RM850xCorsair psu, ADATA M.2 2280 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WIndows 10 Pro, 2 TB Samsung and 3 TB WD HDs .

I appreciate your help. I would say I have an "older system" for today's standards, but its a medium system. I have a GTX 580 and In i5 2500 K. My system is going on about 6 years old so maybe it's just my system?

Just now, Mitch24 said:

I appreciate your help. I would say I have an "older system" for today's standards, but its a medium system. I have a GTX 580 and In i5 2500 K. My system is going on about 6 years old so maybe it's just my system?

Yep.

54 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Really wish I could use MSAA. I need at least 4xSSAA to stop this weird "shimmer" effect on vegetation and buildings to some extend It's not aliasing, almost looks like a mildly flickering heat shimmer effect and it's so jarring to look at.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

It has been mentioned that the problem of DL/AA strongly depends from the add-on airport in use.  Airports which have been compiled/exported with P3Dv4-SDK should have a much smaller impact on frame rate than others which were simple port-overs by adapting the installer for v4.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

It has been mentioned that the problem of DL/AA strongly depends from the add-on airport in use.  Airports which have been compiled/exported with P3Dv4-SDK should have a much smaller impact on frame rate than others which were simple port-overs by adapting the installer for v4.

How the scenery was made has little effect on the impact of dynamic lights: see this post here on our forum, with a test made with 3 different sceneries, using the P3D SDK, the FSX SDK and the FS8 SDK:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16007.msg114745.html#msg114745

The DL impact is the same, and it's very low, for all of them, but once you crank up AA and Resolution, it affects ALL of them quite a bit, and by the SAME amount, even if they were made in very different ways and different SDKs.

Upgrade your gpu with the latest drivers. It did the trick for me. FPS loss is less significant and I dont have much stutters anymore.

Ahmet Can

4 hours ago, costamesa said:

Upgrade your gpu with the latest drivers. It did the trick for me. FPS loss is less significant and I dont have much stutters anymore.

What graphics card are you using?