Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

NZ Scenery Campaign

You know how we always find comments about "Wish we had xyz scenery" or "hope devs start producing for our sim" ?

Well here's a chance to promote just that for AFS2.

New Zealand is a great VFR experience. Like Switzerland, it is quite compact but offers a bigger range of scenery. It would make a fantastic place to use AFS2. Here's a guy who can make this happen, with a little encouragement. Take a look here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1219982571/new-zealand-scenery-for-flight-simulation

So, who is this person?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Robin Corn.

He's probably the biggest single contributor to the hobby in NZ, freeware and payware. 
Like a lot of truly creative people, he hasn't been marketed properly, despite making some spectacular sceneries over the years.

He has a website which might give you an idea of what he does:

http://windowlight.co.nz/godzoneWP/

Well you have hit on why AFS2 has little appeal for me only covers small parts of Europe and US.  Nothing for Australia and NZ and I suspect never likely to be.

Bruceb

• Upvote 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I also have no interest in AFS2.  I think orbx made the wrong choice not supporting XP11. In stead to support a Beta sim with hardly and add-on available for it. And by the time you populate the world in AFS2 you will have spent a fortune!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 hour ago, WingZ said:

Robin Corn.

He's probably the biggest single contributor to the hobby in NZ, freeware and payware. 
Like a lot of truly creative people, he hasn't been marketed properly, despite making some spectacular sceneries over the years.

He has a website which might give you an idea of what he does:

http://windowlight.co.nz/godzoneWP/

Sounds good. I will probably sign up. :ha:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

26 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

Nothing for Australia and NZ and I suspect never likely to be.

Well, that was kind of what the OP was about. It's an opportunity to influence what happens in the sim - I welcome the opportunity.

8 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

I think orbx made the wrong choice not supporting XP11.

Time will tell... maybe AFS2 answers the question of what flightsimming will be like in future.

4 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Sounds good. I will probably sign up.

Excellent, I already did. :)

30 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

Nothing for Australia and NZ and I suspect never likely to be.

Bruceb

9 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

And by the time you populate the world in AFS2 you will have spent a fortune!

Good news is that IPACS are soon to release their GeoConvert tools, which is to be a bit like OrthosXP with the abillity to build airports etc. Should make it easy and hopefully cheap for the community to create addons for A/NZ and the rest of the world.

16 minutes ago, coffecup1978 said:

Good news is that IPACS are soon to release their GeoConvert tools, which is to be a bit like OrthosXP with the abillity to build airports etc. Should make it easy and hopefully cheap for the community to create addons for A/NZ and the rest of the world.

Yes, there are already people queuing up at the starting gate for once they get ahold of those tools.......

Devons rig

I'm queuing up to make scenery also. I say this because both LINZ data and ortho imagery are available for free (there is no commercial cost to license them and the data is very good quality), and once the tools come out someone is going to make NZ whether Robin gets funding or not.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I do plan to give this a go if I can, creating Aerofly versions of future 'Real NZ' scenery projects. Take a look at the Kickstarter page for details of what 'Real NZ' means if you are unsure of what I do.

More likely is X-plane versions of my scenery initially, I do use both Aerofly FS2 and X-plane 11, but I'm aware that there is a big freeware community involvement in X-plane. What I offer in addition is a full-time commitment, and a good practical background in putting together scenery resources. The FSX-based community used to be very freeware-focussed, but not so much these days. I don't want to take anything away from these new sims, but I do think there's a place for both freeware and payware, now that the features of these modern sims call for a more complex scenery which takes time to produce.

I started out doing freeware for MSFS versions, but really saw the need back then for full-time development, which means operating as a business.

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding what I plan for Aerofly and X-plane, just ask here and I'll check it from time to time. Anything really good questions may become part of the Kickstarter project FAQ:)

I admit that I'm not all that knowledgeable about these communities, having spent 15 years as a MSFS ######! I'm only now seeing the light with these alternatives.

Thanks for chiming in. I used your products back in FSX and I'm happy to see devs embracing new platforms. I hope you get in there before ORBX ;-)

20 minutes ago, toprob said:

I admit that I'm not all that knowledgeable about these communities, having spent 15 years as a MSFS ######! I'm only now seeing the light with these alternatives.

I'm interested in scenery for Aerofly FS2 - and if it's good stuff - I'll pay for it. :smile:

Been a fan of Robin's work for quite a while.  He's already created a wealth of excellent photoreal NZ scenery for his 'subsciption series'.  I've got it for FSX and would dearly love to see it for Aerofly - he can autogen with the best of them 'viz' his Nelson and Dunedin.

I will definitely be supporting this (in a few minutes after I type this) as I know Robin's work is top notch, and I am also glad to hear of support for Aerofly FS2.

I am using P3D mainly, and sometimes FSX, but I have also started using Aerofly FS2 a lot more.  I have had it for a while, but it is getting more use lately.  While I don't use X Plane I am glad Robin plans on supporting that too.  No reason not to support all the current available choices.  It makes sense as a developer and is obviously great for all simmers.

Best of luck Robin!

Cheers,