Sign in to follow this  
Terblanche

P3D4 Dynamic Lights and FPS drop

21 minutes ago, mwa05 said:

Gents,

After much more fiddling about, the key is delete your shaders and now try with the new update. That seems to have solved the issue for me.

Kind regards,

Msrk Wagener

On the flip side, I've updated to yesterday's patch and deleted shaders and there's no difference for me. YMMV.

Alex Pugh

6 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

On the flip side, I've updated to yesterday's patch and deleted shaders and there's no difference for me. YMMV.

Alex Pugh

Sorry my friend. 

Waiting for PMDG to comment on this...

James Goggi

For me the big "fix" would be to see the runway at night with the Dynamic Lighting switch OFF and the Landing-lights illuminate ground switch in the ON position.

While I love the dynamic lighting with V4 I do not need it while I'm flying the 747. I can't help but think what it would be like if Light Bloom was required to see the model during daylight hours in FSX.

• Upvote 1

For me it also got really worse after the latest update (and deleting shaders did not help).  Switching on landing lights brings me from 30 frames to slide show speed at around 8-15 frames,,,completely unusable, so no nightflying so far...(4 x MSAA, 750 TI, at recently released Trondheim airport which should be perfect for V4)

I decided to give it a try myself, having just run the OC update a few hours ago. I fired up P3Dv4 (didn't delete shaders) and loaded my B744 in United colors at FSDT KDFW on the runway at night.  All lights work and no impact on frame rate or animation fluidity.  I have all sliders full right except mesh = 2m, 4xMSAA, running an 6700K at 4.7GHz, 980T and a driver several months old with a 4K TV. My Prepar3d.cfg is nearly default, not much tweaking at all.

Dan Downs KCRP

After the micro update on the 747 p3dv4 my beacon light does not work (not flashing). I only see the ground splash effect, anybody else notice this after updating?

Eric Moser

Performance is worse than before the update here too...

Bruno Teixeira.
W11 PRO x64 | i9 13900k | RTX4090 | 32GB DDR5 | MSFS

I agree it's worse than before. Prior to the update, I didn't get a FPS hit when using MSAA. Now, it's almost as bad as using SSAA. 

Alex Pugh

Could those of you having bad performance test something for me? This is an issue I have had with dynamic lighting at night/dusk since before the micro-update but I wonder if people reporting very bad FPS might be affected more now. If I load a situation at night/dusk/dawn with dynamic lighting on, complex airport and complex aircraft (747 especially but also 777, 717), I have about 5 FPS when fully loaded if at a gate. If I then either pan both ways with TrackIR or shift through enough outside views to have covered at least 180 degrees of scenery and some sky, I suddenly get an instant jump to anywhere from 35 FPS in VC to 45 in outside view. And that's it, it doesn't go back down after that. If I reload with a different time or aircraft, the same happens and I must use the same trick to bring FPS up. GPU is at close to 99% the whole time. As though dynamic lighting was subject to a buffer or the GPU must first have seen enough of a scene in dynamic lighting from different views to be able to relax and perform... 6700K @4.8, GTX 1080, G-Sync, single monitor for P3D but second monitor for add-ons.

3 hours ago, cx777 said:

After the micro update on the 747 p3dv4 my beacon light does not work (not flashing). I only see the ground splash effect, anybody else notice this after updating?

Eric Moser

Yes. Just as you describe it, except I only see the beacon splash on the inboard engine nacelles.

I'll delete my shader cache contents and try again. I'll return for an update if there's any difference.

No difference after deleting the shader cache. [although, I noticed the UHF antenna receive dynamic lighting...nice touch]

BTW, I'm using 2xSSAA, FXAA off, Anisotropic 16x and Texture Res @2048x2048  with a 2560x1440 resolution. I did notice any real difference in FPS when testing at night on payware airfields.

When using FXAA or a higher SSAA, I had the slideshow issue too.

Edited by RichieFly
More info

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

21 hours ago, vmounier said:

If I then either pan both ways with TrackIR or shift through enough outside views to have covered at least 180 degrees of scenery and some sky, I suddenly get an instant jump to anywhere from 35 FPS in VC to 45 in outside view.

Holy macaroni - it's true on my system too. Unfortunately it slams back into the dump once I start to taxi and then you swing another 180° view and then it settles again to 'normal' .... 

BUT - we eagerly await PMDG's recommended settings for both P3D4 and Nvidia Inspector because I'm dying to see what the beta testers's settings are seeing that they (apparently) don't have any negative effect with landing lights + dynamic lightning + SS ... except if they all run the Queen on super computers. :ha:

Terblanche Jordaan

8 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

Holy macaroni - it's true on my system too. Unfortunately it slams back into the dump once I start to taxi and then you swing another 180° view and then it settles again to 'normal' .... 

BUT - we eagerly await PMDG's recommended settings for both P3D4 and Nvidia Inspector because I'm dying to see what the beta testers's settings are seeing that they (apparently) don't have any negative effect with landing lights + dynamic lightning + SS ... except if they all run the Queen on super computers. :ha:

There are no secret recommended settings. It's been stated a couple dozen times by now that SSAA is the FPS killer if dynamic lighting is on. 

Though I'll add that FPS seems to be worse even using MSAA with this latest update.

Alex Pugh

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

Though I'll add that FPS seems to be worse even using MSAA with this latest update.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!

I'm back at my trusted FSX running as smooth as ever with the 1080Ti and locked at 30FPS, day and night, with only a slight drop at EDDF and EGLL from Aerosoft. The whole P3D4 experience with the PMDG B744 has demper my enthusiasm for this latest, newest, best, whatever 64-bit blah blah fah fah fish-paste!

Terblanche Jordaan

2 hours ago, Terblanche said:

Glad to know I'm not going bonkers! This seems so hard to pinpoint as I'm not having the drop back down on taxi. So many variables. I posted this on the P3D forum too as it doesn't seem necessarily PMDG-related.