Sign in to follow this  
Terblanche

P3D4 Dynamic Lights and FPS drop

I've had this same issue.  It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on.  Just by switching on the landing lights everything starts to crawl regardless of scenery.  Turning them on in cruise does the same thing.  It does it whether I have dynamic lighting checked or not.  I'm sure it will be worked out eventually.  Silence from PMDG tells me that they are looking into it.

Steve Giblin

I just hope they are aware that Forward rendering should be used instead of Deffered rendering.

Not sure how the lights on the PMDG's work, but poly count could also be an issue.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

Im this close to putting P3Dv4 to rest until further notice. I am hearing people with a GTX1070 with the same problem. The messed up thing is all I need is 64BIT. I don't need dynamic lights if it's going to make me have to shed $700 for a GTX1080TI when I was getting 40-50 FPS with my GTX970 in V3. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

On 6/26/2017 at 8:00 PM, downscc said:

frame rate lock at 20 and TV refresh 30 Hz.  I found the frame rate lock was really important in v3 because without it overcast clouds would cripple my system.

I've tried 20 and YES you are right it makes a difference from locked at 30. Flew a long cross country this afternoon over ORBX England in the A2A Cherokee with lots of overcast and rain and it was smooth all the way. Almost (almost) no peethreedeefour stutters and only had a peek at the FPS once or twice out of curiosity and it was dead locked at 20. Thanks for the tip.

Boy-oh-boy am I happy to have my A2A aircraft back. The Queen is parked in a hanger until this forum lights up with news that the Dynamic Lights issue has been resolved.

Terblanche Jordaan

44 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

I've tried 20 and YES you are right it makes a difference from locked at 30.

That is great.  Credit to Rob Ainscough who came up with this approach in his AVSIM Guide to Prepar3D.

Dan Downs KCRP

8 hours ago, Terblanche said:

I've tried 20 and YES you are right it makes a difference from locked at 30. Flew a long cross country this afternoon over ORBX England in the A2A Cherokee with lots of overcast and rain and it was smooth all the way. Almost (almost) no peethreedeefour stutters and only had a peek at the FPS once or twice out of curiosity and it was dead locked at 20. Thanks for the tip.

Boy-oh-boy am I happy to have my A2A aircraft back. The Queen is parked in a hanger until this forum lights up with news that the Dynamic Lights issue has been resolved.

I was getting horrible stutters at night, until I added a proper affinity mask to my p3d and enabled v sync with triple buffering (not sure if vsync did anything, the key was affinity mask). My sim went from stuttering every 3-5 seconds to buttery smooth. Dynamic landing and runway turnoff lights make my fps go from 40+ to 20 or so, but the sim is still smooth and stutter free. I also recommend project lasso to help with thread scheduling. I can run with fps unlimited by the way, and don't have to lock it.

regards

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

On 2017/06/26 at 10:57 PM, downscc said:

Ouch! I guess.  The things are a commodity in some parts of the world.  US price on Amazon for a 40-in 4K Samsung is $US 500.  By the way, what do you think of NMG's FACT, do you have it in P3Dv4?  I have their FAOR but none of the terminal buildings work in v4.

Hi! I have been using NMG for many years, They are slowly upgrading their airports for P3D v4...it's the best we have in SA so far...attention all developers, there's a growing market out here!! And Table Mountain looks great with Pilots Mesh (Ultimate version). I can see the real mountain from my home and the contours around Cape town are very realistic. FAOR has not been updated yet. FABL, FACT, FADN are compatible so far.

Regards.

Edited by Peter Webber
Updated message.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

On 2017/06/26 at 10:19 PM, Terblanche said:

Thank you Dan -

I agree on the FPS lock and I'm using it with great success in FSX as well. Interesting that you drop it down to 20 because I always thought 30 is about the standard for a balance between texture loading (quality) and performance. The one thing I did notice on the forums is the fact that a lot of simmers are on 4K TV sets and it seems that with that you can drop down on the MSAA without losing any quality. The amount of shimmering in P3D4 is really hurting my eyes! 

A 4K TV is still way too expensive in South Africa to buy that just for Flightsim because my Nvidia 1080Ti already costed me an arm and a leg. Topped that on buying P3D4 plus the PMDG aircraft again for P3D and it's now my liver, an eye and one test!cle too! Soon only the hand will be left to fly and forum.

I've looked through the specs of the HotFix and there is no mention of Dynamic Lights except for the weirdos that fly with VR. It seems we will still have to wait and my suspicion is that Aerosoft and FSLabs are waiting to see what the update will be on this Disaster Dynamic Lights topic before they release their aircraft for P3D4.

I also upgraded to the 1080TI...I know a good few suppliers of 4K around South Africa....Their prices are not too bad....I'm in Cape Town but normally order from Centurion, Pretoria.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

9 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

I also upgraded to the 1080TI

What about your fps with 744 landing lights on?

James Goggi

10 minutes ago, jgoggi said:

What about your fps with 744 landing lights on?

Hi...I've noticed at NMG FACT, when I switch on the landing lights, I'm dropping from approximately 35 fps to around 25 fps (dynamic lighting on). the sim is still fluid. But yes, there is an fps hit.

Edited by Peter Webber
Typo

Peter Webber

6700k 980ti no nvidia inspector and 8x msaa.

40-50% performance decrease with landing lights on and dynamic lighting. Latest hotfixes and P3d hotfix.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Sad to say I see the same, even after getting a 1080Ti. Landing lights on going from 40fps locked down to 20-30. turn on the strobes, runway turnoff and taxi lights and I am in the 15-20fps region. This is with the 747. On the 777-200LR, I go from 40fps locked to 30-33fps with ALL lights on.

PMDG ?

1 hour ago, Peter Webber said:

I also upgraded to the 1080TI...I know a good few suppliers of 4K around South Africa....Their prices are not too bad....I'm in Cape Town

I'm also in Cape Town :biggrin: - will you DM me the supplier's contact detail please? How much did you pay for your 1080Ti ... mine was over ZAR9000 and very VERY expensive from Mecer in Cape Town but still cheaper than anyone else I phoned.

Terblanche Jordaan

9 minutes ago, 77west said:

Sad to say I see the same, even after getting a 1080Ti. Landing lights on going from 40fps locked down to 20-30. turn on the strobes, runway turnoff and taxi lights and I am in the 15-20fps region. This is with the 747. On the 777-200LR, I go from 40fps locked to 30-33fps with ALL lights on.

That's more or less my scenario as well with a 1080Ti ... and that's why the Queen is parked until this mess is sorted out. I'm NOT going to buy the PMDG 777 again and will see how I feel and if this Dynamic Lights Issue has been resolved before I buy the PMDG 738 AGAIN for P3D4. For now I'm more than happy to VFR around with my three A2A aircraft over spectacular ORBX Terrain LC with a very constant FPS. 

Terblanche Jordaan

2 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

Pilots Mesh (Ultimate version)

What is this, and where do you get it ...?

I have the NMG mesh and FSGenesis South Africa. I prefer NMG but it is only 76m while FSGenesis is 19m but somehow the FSGenesis write some files to the scenery/world folder that interferes with the mesh in other parts of the world.

Terblanche Jordaan