Sign in to follow this  
Terblanche

P3D4 Dynamic Lights and FPS drop

2 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

That's more or less my scenario as well with a 1080Ti ... and that's why the Queen is parked until this mess is sorted out. I'm NOT going to buy the PMDG 777 again and will see how I feel and if this Dynamic Lights Issue has been resolved before I buy the PMDG 738 AGAIN for P3D4. For now I'm more than happy to VFR around with my three A2A aircraft over spectacular ORBX Terrain LC with a very constant FPS. 

I feel your pain RE the pricing on computer parts in SA - I grew up near Glencairn near Cape Town and so know what the prices can be like there. Even here in NZ though, things are pricey, I paid well over $1200 for my Ti and that's at our cost/trade price. Luckily I could trade in my standard 1080 so got some money back. Alas, it has not made much of a difference with the whole FPS brouhaha. It may just be an excuse for me to take the tripple 7 for a few spins, she has not had much flight time since the 747 released. I will just book the ol' Queen in for a D Check and sub in a 777. If only I had the -300ER though...

RE the 737... I can't bring myself to fly it. Not after the 777 and 747v3. I know it is not yet P3Dv4 compatible, but even in V3, the age is showing, as RSR himself stated ("is a VERY old product") et al.

The front window size issue that I thought was not an issue is now a major for me; it just does not look right. This is after not only pictures but being in both a VA and QF 738 flight deck recently (on the ground).

I would be quite happy to pay for a PMDG 737v4 that brought it up to 744v3 / 777 standards. But I digress and this is not what this thread is about. Apologies.

2 hours ago, kjjj11223344 said:

I also recommend project lasso to help with thread scheduling. I can run with fps unlimited by the way, and don't have to lock it.

Do you have to buy it or will the FREE version do enough to make a difference?

I'm a bit lost with all the jargon and will not even know where to do what and why regarding 'thread scheduling' ... maybe you could post a summery of what to do. Please?

Terblanche Jordaan

5 minutes ago, 77west said:

I would be quite happy to pay for a PMDG 737v4 that brought it up to 744v3 / 777 standards.

Aaaah so close from CPT and yet so far ....... :ha:

The only reason I'm hooked on the B738 is the fact that I know it inside out and it's the only (big) aircraft, except FSLabs A320X, that I know how to handle most of the emergency procedures - and - the fact that I have almost 50 hours in the Level-D simulator at ORT airport. Yes, the windows are way out of proportion but you can fly this little scoundrel to almost any airfield and park it at almost any gate for GSX not to throw a tantrum.

Terblanche Jordaan

5 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

I'm a bit lost with all the jargon and will not even know where to do what and why regarding 'thread scheduling' ... maybe you could post a summery of what to do. Please?

I am condensing this down but a thread is a unit of work for a CPU, and the whole thread scheduling thing is about making sure the FSX/P3D threads are being executed (bad term, really, it means "run") on the cores/ vCPU's that have less additional load.

On many systems Core0 (Yes, they start at Zero, not One) is the most loaded core, and some of these programs can help to swap your FS load to cores that have less threads running on them. Personally, I trust Windows 10 to manage the thread execution for me. For a non-tech person, I would not reccomend a program that manually overrides the Windows thread scheduler.

2 hours ago, Terblanche said:

The free version of Process Lasso does everything you need, I only bought it to support them as I really like the tool. I've gone back to using an affinity mask (85) for my 6700k and moved all my add-ons away from the sim cores with Process Lasso, this still gives me the best combination of performance and smoothness.

And as for the dynamic lighting FPS impact, I'm learning to manage my dynamic lighting load just like so many other variables. The 747 has 4 landing lights, I only use 2. The taxi light only comes on once I am facing away from the terminal, it's proper etiquette anyway I believe. Runway turn-off lights? Well, only in tight turns and one side at a time, along with crossing active runways. It makes for less than a full Christmas tree of an airplane, but FPS thanks me.

To be honest though, in my case the FPS drop never made the sim un-usable once I understood that my own problem was solved by the 180 degree view panning trick...

1 hour ago, vmounier said:

The free version of Process Lasso does everything you need, I only bought it to support them as I really like the tool. I've gone back to using an affinity mask (85) for my 6700k and moved all my add-ons away from the sim cores with Process Lasso, this still gives me the best combination of performance and smoothness.

Good advice and yes the 360° swing does make a difference and so does the 20 FPS lock ... combined with 85 Affinity Mask.

I'm running AivlaSoft EFB, AS16, ProATC on a second computer over a network and that makes a huge difference in smoothness as well.

Do you run P3D on 'NORMAL' or 'ABOVE NORMAL' in the different settings of Lasso?

Terblanche Jordaan

1 hour ago, Terblanche said:

Do you run P3D on 'NORMAL' or 'ABOVE NORMAL' in the different settings of Lasso?

I'd have to check, I think I'm on HIGH, along with having classified it as Game and excluded from Pro Balance.

31 minutes ago, vmounier said:

along with having classified it as Game

Don't let Lockheed Martin hear you call P3D4 a "game" or "entertainment" .... my oh my ........ LOL ........ :biggrin: :laugh:

Terblanche Jordaan

I would never do such a thing! It's Process Lasso's fault that they don't have a category for a Training App executable. ;-)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 77west said:

I grew up near Glencairn near Cape Town

I'm in Table View! Bloubergstrand.

• Upvote 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

6 hours ago, Terblanche said:

Pilots Mesh (Ultimate version)

I bought DVD'ds from Pilots: FS GLOBAL ULTIMATE, NEXT GENERATION...

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

1 hour ago, Peter Webber said:

I'm in Table View! Bloubergstrand.

Let's get together for a glass of wine ... I'm in Tamboerskloof. I'll DM you my detail.

Terblanche Jordaan

8 hours ago, Terblanche said:

I use an affinity mask of 252 with a 4 core i7 with hyperthreading enabled. As for project lasso, it isn't needed, but it's just a way to squeeze out any remaining potential from your machine (the real trick is a proper affinity mask to be honest). Also, don't need to be an expert to use project lasso. I just use it so that the priority of p3d is set to high automatically (and also to make every other program run on logical cores 0-1). I also have categorized fsx/p3d as a high performance application so that Windows doesn't shut down cores while I'm flying (helping to eliminate stutters). You could also use project lasso to set up fsx/p3d's affinity mask (setting which cores it will run on), but this isn't necessary as you can also do it in the fsx.cfg. Hope this helps :), others above explained anything else that wasn't properly explained in my first post.

p.s. The free version is fine if you intend to use it on your home computer.

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Terblanche,

I think it is highly likely the majority of simmers are having this issue with the current p3d v4.  Myself included.  My hope is that a hotfix or update from prepar3d/pmdg may cure this.  But yes, a huge drop in frames is something I am experiencing as well.  Good opportunity to practice malfunctioning landing light landings.  I fly in the real world and this is a great skill to have. :)