Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Quite the scenery loss, by not running Max World Objects...

I normally have flown with a max setting of HIGH for World Objects, but thought today, to really see (at least with ortho) the difference visually, between HIGH and MAX settings.

Well...there is a most serious and note-worth loss of visuals, by dropping down to anything below Max. That's all I'm gonna say.  Here is North Bay, at MAX in World Objects at zl16/18/2

At even HIGH, most of North Bay downtown and 'burbs, were simply missing. I'll eat some FPS, (doesn't really matter all that much in XP11...) to now run the sim at Max World Objects. Too much missing out, and not to enjoy, otherwise.  

Cessna_172_SP_44.png

Cessna_172_SP_45.png

My ancient 2500k and GTX 970 run max world objects just fine. I see no reason to turn it down lower and I agree, if you do, the presentation looks blocky, incomplete, and bad.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, bonchie said:

My ancient 2500k and GTX 970 run max world objects just fine. I see no reason to turn it down lower and I agree, if you do, the presentation looks blocky, incomplete, and bad.

Yep.. :)

"Oh, and don't be calling your 2500K ancient!  For if so...then my i7-975 is somewhere, around the dawn of time....LOL!~  Not upgrading though...works year after year, like a charm..." :)

8 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I normally have flown with a max setting of HIGH for World Objects, but thought today, to really see (at least with ortho) the difference visually, between HIGH and MAX settings.

Well...there is a most serious and note-worth loss of visuals, by dropping down to anything below Max. That's all I'm gonna say.  Here is North Bay, at MAX in World Objects at zl16/18/2

At even HIGH, most of North Bay downtown and 'burbs, were simply missing. I'll eat some FPS, (doesn't really matter all that much in XP11...) to now run the sim at Max World Objects. Too much missing out, and not to enjoy, otherwise.  

Cessna_172_SP_44.png

Cessna_172_SP_45.png

Those are great screenshots!  Are you using ReShade to get those colors?  I find the look of "stock" XP11, at least on my system, to be extremely hazy and quite muted in terms of color. 

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

I agree. X-plane doesn't look great if you turn the object density down even one notch.  Rather than thinning out the autogen buildings as the slider in ESP based sims does, turning down the slider removes large blocks of autogen which is very noticeable and looks unrealistic. It's the one slider I won't compromise on.

I think i read Ben from Laminar acknowledge in one of his blog posts that this is not ideal and something they would like to address.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, turnandbank said:

I agree. X-plane doesn't look great if you turn the object density down even one notch.  Rather than thinning out the autogen buildings as the slider in ESP based sims does, turning down the slider removes large blocks of autogen which is very noticeable and looks unrealistic. It's the one slider I won't compromise on.

I think i read Ben from Laminar acknowledge in one of his blog posts that this is not ideal and something they would like to address.

I was flying between Flint, and Toronto, and as I flew over London, Ontario, about 3/4's of the whole city was missing at HIGH. I moved the slider up to MAX, and the entire city displayed. That convinced me....

5 hours ago, JDWalley said:

Those are great screenshots!  Are you using ReShade to get those colors?  I find the look of "stock" XP11, at least on my system, to be extremely hazy and quite muted in terms of color. 

I'm using a program similar to that, but yes...a tweak on the shaders... :)

A compromise to run on MAX on systems that can't handle it (don't be fooled, even a 7700K can struggle with max in dense areas) is to limit the draw distance of the autogen (like it was possible in XP10) using a LUA script. That way you get the full autogen, just not drawn as far out.

set( "sim/private/controls/reno/LOD_bias_rat", 1.00)

1.00 = very high
2.00 = high
3.00 = medium
4.00 = low

You may try intermediate steps such as 1.5, or entirely have a tool handle this for you automatically:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/38085-3jfps-wizard-enjoy-smooth-flying/ 

And yes, you may set it to 0.5, good luck.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

14 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I'm using a program similar to that, but yes...a tweak on the shaders... :)

Which program is that?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

2 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

Which program is that?

If you find X-Plane colors dull and the haze too strong, here's an easy fix without messing with the shaders (Reshade is bugged in XP11 and will crash on exit):

Find your resources/bitmaps/skycolors folder (make sure you're using the original skycolors, run the installer to get them back if you previously replaced them). Delete "sky_colors_clean.png", copy "sky_colors_hialt.png", rename that copy to "sky_colors_clean.png" - done.

As Steve Jobs would've said: "Boom".

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Yeah, that's the one slider I always keep at Max, and it works fine on my GTX970. Laminar needs to figure out a way to make the reduction in autogen less extreme at one notch down from there.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

4 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Yeah, that's the one slider I always keep at Max, and it works fine on my GTX970. Laminar needs to figure out a way to make the reduction in autogen less extreme at one notch down from there.

Or take example from AeroflyFS2 and give us 100FPS at max world objects. :smile:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

Or take example from AeroflyFS2 and give us 100FPS at max world objects. :smile:

Well, if they want to call those flat pictures on the ground "objects," then sure!
 :biggrin:

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

5 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Well, if they want to call those flat pictures on the ground "objects," then sure!
 :biggrin:

There's no doubt that even with the same number of objects shown on screen, AeroflyFS 2 has much better framerates. I think nobody would dare dispute that.

Here's a video from our friend Barrel_Owl with Orbx LOWI. I'm pretty sure you can't get 100+ FPS on any other flight sim with that kind of detail:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

On 6/20/2017 at 4:19 PM, bonchie said:

Really?  Because I fly most of the time in SoCal (pilotedge) and max in LA area just crushes my performance.  I'd be at around 15 or so.  I've got the same rig I'm running my CPU at 4 ghz 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |