Sign in to follow this  
Piotr007

P3D V4 Stopped enjoying it. Time to reconsider the options.

No reason why your system can't excel. If it excelled in P3Dv.1-3 or FSX it should excel with v4.  The first suggestion is that if you have high  supersampling (4X or 8X) and dynamic lighting doesn't matter your system you will pay a price in nightime flying particularly at payware airports.. Switch your settings to 8XMSAA or at most 2xSSAA. Textures down to 2048x2048.  If you have a cluttered HD then think of using only 1 drive for P3Dv4. It finally deserves it's own place given 64 bits. The latter is absolute heaven now.

i7-7700k 4.2 GHz, DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Cooler 4 Heatpipes 120mm PWM Fan with Blue LED, ASRock 270 PRO4 MOBO, ZOTAC ampExtreme 1080 8GB, 16 GB DDR4 Ripjaws, Thermaltake Core V71 Case, RM850xCorsair psu, ADATA M.2 2280 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WIndows 10 Pro, 2 TB Samsung and 3 TB WD HDs .

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I'm just suspecting you might have overloaded your sim in the context of....just add one thing at a time.  Ensure it works properly and has had no impact on the sims performance.

I'm going slow and easy a bit at a time. My sim is purring along so far.

I have Orbx stuff installed, some planes some other sceneries. So far perfect. I HAVE NOT ONE TWEAK.

My system specs are slightly less than yours.

Clean it off! Start over and slowly add stuff. I just suspect that some addons might not be "good performers" and then once you get them into your system one can't find out what is causing the problems as there might be several.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

This is why I was saying early on that it may be worth waiting to make the plunge, and so many people got on my case about it...

Now, we're all experiencing a vast-array of annoyances, setbacks and disappointments as we all get used to the idiosyncrasies of v4.  I really fault LM for this as they could have made more beta copies for developers.  This wasn't some super-secret spy program here, and they could have opened things up a little bit.  However, I also fault many developers who had no clue as to what it would take to make their products work in v4 and started putting out tentative timetables that could and still can not be met.  At the end of the day, we ended up a bare-bones stock product that will take months to customize and call our own, because some marketing geniuses failed to communicate with each-other and really dropped the ball on how it could have been released. 

That said, I get good performance, except around big airports, and I expect this.  I also think the eye-candy and lighting is much better in v4.  I also think that the quality of smoothness, and stuttering, is better than v3.  Even when I fly into dense areas, the stutters are annoying, but they are not as impairing as in v3.  Then, there's the OOM issue.  I avoided this when I knew I was going to be heading into VAS-intensive areas by saving the flight, restarting the sim and then reloading it.  It took about a minute and I was back up in the air.  Big deal.  Now VAS isn't a problem and I can fly and fly and fly.

I still think that I will be using v3 more than v4 for months, until everything I enjoy can be migrated into the new platform.  I mean there's only so much fun I can have with a 777 when my 737s and Buses are in the hangar in v3.  However, I'm also happy to use both to get the experience that I'm looking for. 

Be Buddhist about this...let it be.  It will take time.  Meanwhile, keep flying and enjoy.

John

• Upvote 3

Yeah and make sure you aren't running the highest AA.  8xSSAA just kills my cpu.  Try 8x msaa (sort of shimmers) or 4x SSAA which is what I'm doing with my GTX970

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Affinity mask of 85 with my 7700k with hyper threading and fiber frame time fraction .05 works very well for me. With a GTX 980 I'm getting solid 30fps with pay ware airports and orbx scenery. 

Matt Wilson

I hope that folks are starting with a vanilla p3d.cfg before tweaking anything.

Perhaps my system is more robust but I haven't tweaked anything and am getting great performance.

• Upvote 1

Near CAM3

18 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I hope that folks are starting with a vanilla p3d.cfg before tweaking anything.

Perhaps my system is more robust but I haven't tweaked anything and am getting great performance.

As do I

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I don't know if this will help or not with some of you guys but when I first got P3Dv4 it ran like crap, and I mean crap, had stutters, just did not run good at all, but I noticed that it was my whole system, like a big CPU lag. Playing different games had the same lag. I started looking on YouTube for a fix and found this.

I did this and P3Dv4 runs so good right now, I love it, its perfect, and most of all smooth. I have most of all the available Orbx stuff installed (don't have anything of the EU area installed yet), the v4 of active sky and ASCA, some a2a planes and PMDG 747 and 777 and it runs good, way better then P3Dv3.

After I did what the video said to do then I put all the settings just on the P3D side to this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5ketw85idtxo8f/P3Dv4 Settings Chart.xlsx?dl=0  (and thank you to joepoway for putting this out, it helped).

I did a vatsim flight from Hong Kong to Seattle, about 13 hours with these settings and maybe a couple of setting turned up or on and it was a very good flight, no problems.

Not saying this will help you, I hope it does, but when I was about to give up on v4, did whats above, and now its great.

My system, I7 4790K at 4.0Hz, 980 gtx, 16 gigs of ram, 4K 43in Sony TV for a monitor.  

Piotr007, from your stats, your system should run P3Dv4 really good but I'm no computer wiz you might have a totally different problem, this is just what worked for me.

V4 runs perfectly for me.

Also have a i7 6700K but a 1080ti running 4K. I use MSAA 2x because I have no shimmering issues whatsoever. I cannot see a difference between 8x MSAA and 2x MSAA, so i go with 2x.

Also: Turn down the cloud resolution in ASCA! Set them to 512.

• Upvote 2

One of the biggest things about P3D that we all have been saying over and over is this - right out of the box P3D needs little or NO tweaking. That was true for V1 and is even truer for V4. I'm sorry but I do not see any logic in blaming LM for simple user error.

The OP did exactly what he was NOT supposed to do and asked in many places on these forums and continued to tweak. Now he is reaping the rewards. Piotr - you best bet is to uninstall, format and reinstall P3D and leave it alone. Take baby steps as you SLOWLY add things that are proven to be compatible. Your system should run P3D just fine - just don't get in it's way.

Vic

• Upvote 6

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

30 minutes ago, LarryImler said:

I started looking on YouTube for a fix and found this.

I must say I'm amused by a video that shows you how to remove malware that may have come from downloading torrents, and then recommends, if you can't afford one of the tools mentioned, to "just torrent it."  What's wrong with this picture?

• Upvote 5

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

1 hour ago, LarryImler said:

I don't know if this will help or not with some of you guys but when I first got P3Dv4 it ran like crap, and I mean crap, had stutters, just did not run good at all, but I noticed that it was my whole system, like a big CPU lag. Playing different games had the same lag. I started looking on YouTube for a fix and found this.

I did this and P3Dv4 runs so good right now, I love it, its perfect, and most of all smooth. I have most of all the available Orbx stuff installed (don't have anything of the EU area installed yet), the v4 of active sky and ASCA, some a2a planes and PMDG 747 and 777 and it runs good, way better then P3Dv3.

After I did what the video said to do then I put all the settings just on the P3D side to this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5ketw85idtxo8f/P3Dv4 Settings Chart.xlsx?dl=0  (and thank you to joepoway for putting this out, it helped).

I did a vatsim flight from Hong Kong to Seattle, about 13 hours with these settings and maybe a couple of setting turned up or on and it was a very good flight, no problems.

Not saying this will help you, I hope it does, but when I was about to give up on v4, did whats above, and now its great.

My system, I7 4790K at 4.0Hz, 980 gtx, 16 gigs of ram, 4K 43in Sony TV for a monitor.  

Piotr007, from your stats, your system should run P3Dv4 really good but I'm no computer wiz you might have a totally different problem, this is just what worked for me.

I'm trying so hard not to laugh.

Can't do it...ROFL!

Near CAM3

FWIW I found with my 6700k that using unlimited and Vsyn ON gave better results than limiting FPS. However this was only at highly demanding airports where the FPS dropped below my screens refresh rate. For some reason I got stutters in dense scenery areas with fixed frames but smooth with unlimited although the FPS were sitting at the screens refresh rate.

Another thing when in any view other than VC, (low demand) frames spiked high sometimes up over 100fps for just a second causing micro stutters. Seems Vsyc was struggling trying to hold the screens refresh rate in low demanding scenery. (My screen set to 25)

I then limited FPS in NCP keeping unlimited in SIM and now everything is smooth in all views including high demanding airports like FSDT/Fltbeam. These are the only airports I currently have installed so far. Wanting for other V4 installers to be released.

Now that FSDT have fixed the rwy textures for DL all is beautiful in P3D. I'm holding 25FPS under all conditions including heaps of AI traffic and clouds.

IM

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

One of the biggest things about P3D that we all have been saying over and over is this - right out of the box P3D needs little or NO tweaking. That was true for V1 and is even truer for V4. I'm sorry but I do not see any logic in blaming LM for simple user error.

The OP did exactly what he was NOT supposed to do and asked in many places on these forums and continued to tweak. Now he is reaping the rewards. Piotr - you best bet is to uninstall, format and reinstall P3D and leave it alone. Take baby steps as you SLOWLY add things that are proven to be compatible. Your system should run P3D just fine - just don't get in it's way.

Vic

Jeez, Vic, a little overkill, don't you think?

It's totally sufficient simply to run the "deletegenerated.files.bat" from within the V4 root directory or even just to delete the p3d.cfg and scenery.cfg and then restart from there without uninstalling anything, let alone reformat a drive.