Sign in to follow this  
Piotr007

P3D V4 Stopped enjoying it. Time to reconsider the options.

On 6/21/2017 at 2:36 AM, laserit said:

I set my system up, where both the main thread of my CPU and GPU were averaging about 60-70% utilization  (to allow for spikes) at Vancouver BC using ORBX PNW, FSDT CYVR and UT Live. I get really smooth performance with very high settings @4k using Vsync@30hz frames set to unlimited.

My system is a 7700k @4.9, HT=on and a 1080ti

What is your AM for P3D? How do you cool your CPU at such high frequency with HT on? 

HT alne gives from +10 to +15 CPU temp higher.

Thanks,

Dirk.

14 hours ago, vgbaron said:

. . . a great number of the problems, when finally resolved, come down to user error. It must come with the sim territory - the need to try and make something do what it is not designed for. 

Totally agree with you.  Applies to all sims.

Jay

14 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

34 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

What is your AM for P3D? How do you cool your CPU at such high frequency with HT on? 

HT alne gives from +10 to +15 CPU temp higher.

Thanks,

Dirk.

I've found that an AM of 245 works best for me, I tried 85 but didn't like it. Having the AM at default worked perfect as far as smoothness and fps goes, but I believe I get a little better terrain loading with the 245.

I have a Corsair H100i, I was running temps in the high 70's under stress and decided to try the delidding thing. Its was an easy process with one of those Rocketcool units, now I'm running temps in the 59-63 range. My highest temp so far recorded after the delidding is 68

• Upvote 1

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

15 minutes ago, laserit said:

I've found that an AM of 245 works best for me, I tried 85 but didn't like it. Having the AM at default worked perfect as far as smoothness and fps goes, but I believe I get a little better terrain loading with the 245.

I have a Corsair H100i, I was running temps in the high 70's under stress and decided to try the delidding thing. Its was an easy process with one of those Rocketcool units, now I'm running temps in the 59-63 range. My highest temp so far recorded after the delidding is 68

Oh! Delidding explains it all, I did it 3 times in the past, 2 of which were successful. With my current 6700K CPU I was just too lazy. Thanks for the Rockit Cool pointer, sure is a way to go, + some lapping also helps.

Dirk

2 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Welcome aboard Bert.  I remember you did not like the previous P3D versions, so your endorsement of this version says a lot ;-)  Now if I would have the GTN750, F1 Mustang and B200 would be nice, patiently waiting until then.  Perhaps by Christmas, if P3Dv4 4.2 would have come out by then :laugh:

Thanks!

Waiting for the GTN750 myself.

Had to rediscover the default GNS530 and figure out once more how to turn off the Airspace messages  :happy:

Bert

16 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Funny, V4 is actually the first time I'm truly enjoying P3D and feeling relaxed knowing, the sim won't suddenly take a dump with a notice of running out of VAS because I dared use the sim. Terrain is finally being rendered as far as I can see, at least to a degree that makes it crisp. My many hundreds of dollars in OrbX scenery finally feel like it isn't wasted in a sea of blur and mush. Performance is now so good, I can have traffic, higher autogen settings, more AA, higher terrain settings and still maintain a solid framerate. It runs smoother, runs faster and is more stable. 10/10. 

Agree V4 is the best since a decade or longer  :-)

André

I am flying now from KLAX to EHAM with the Beautiful Blue Queen of the Skies II.

The stutters I have is my CPU reaching 100% at times when panning around. Does anyone also have these issues? I am trying to find an answer to it but I do not have one. CPU is simply hitting 100% all the time. Settings are all set to medium.

Strange my i7 6700K @ 4.5 ghz is hitting such a bottleneck.

I also reconsidered going to i7 7700K as it is presumably more overclockable to 5,0 ghz than the 6700K. But I guess that is a lottery ticket too. I have my CPU throttling at 100% and this causes stutters, so an upgrade is definitely needed. I am wondering how P3D utilizes a hexacore or an octocore on a level of 4ghz? 

I assume with affinity mask excluding core 1 there should be a tremendous amount of performance.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

My P3Dv4 has Core0 almost always at 100%. I didn't try lowest settings, but I checked between default setting and mostly max on my 1080Ti. Even when FPS locked.

Some stutters were always present on v3 too, I don't think they are any different on v4. If you were to run any other game at 30fps, you would have same stutters, and with 60fps (constant and stable) in P3D, you have none.

Perhaps no matter what CPU in P3D you always get bottlenecked by CPU 0 at full load. Affinity Mask is not always the solution as the sim seems to be heavily depending on CPU 0.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

This has been explained time and time again that the first core handles most of the rendering/FPS tasks. If this is tipping over the edge you're pushing your settings too much, mainly autogen, autogen draw distance etc... this is the main culprit for stutters and FPS loss. And this is most apparent in hugely dense populated areas such as cities where the autogen numbers can be insane and extend for miles and miles. Throw in some AI traffic and when you pan around to an airport, things can get messy.

I tend to set my settings for a nice in-between, as i don't really like switching profiles much. So i go somewhere like Vancouver where there is a nice amount of autogen, but not stupid crazy, and there is water, and a nice mountain range too. I also have a payware airport there. I get the sim working smooth here and it's then pretty good for the majority of places i visit.

I believe the rest of the cores mainly handle a lot of the texturing side of things and if these are bouncing up to 100% load then you're texture/scenery based settings are a little too high. You can push these of course, but you don't want them constantly up there and having trouble. You won't really get stutters from these hitting 100% but your scenery may start to suffer or blur. My hex core is busy across all cores for these tasks.

As others have said before, running at 30hz definitely gives the smoothest results if you setup your settings accordingly to allow your machine to run at 30fps for the majority of the time and i don't believe an external FPS limiter works in quite the same way for P3D. So idelly, set a custom resolution and refresh rate in Nvidia control panel and see if your monitor can handle it. If it can, set vsync on, unlimited in sim and see how you go.

• Upvote 1

I didn't question the way how it works, and I fully understand it, at least I like to think so.

Due to max load on the Core0 however, it is very hard to know when the CPU is on the limit. My way to test this is rather rudimentary: make sure GPU is not maxed, and then unlock FPS to see how far FPS will go. If GPU is still not maxed, I am hitting the CPU usage limit. Other way around is, if I am locked at 30fps, and my GPU is not at the limit, if the FPS drops, I am at the CPU limit.

Rather simple.

Showing my age but been in sims since Microsoft F-19 stealth fighter. I waited 2 years to leap from FSX into Prepar v3! My plan is to wait at least till this time next year or until the screams of desperation and frustration subside. I would rather have root canal done through my ear in a back alley using a old wine bottle cork opener than reinstall 3 pages of Simmarket, a dozen Flight 1 and enough Obyx that cost more than my 1st car.

5 hours ago, JIMJAM said:

Showing my age but been in sims since Microsoft F-19 stealth fighter. I waited 2 years to leap from FSX into Prepar v3! My plan is to wait at least till this time next year or until the screams of desperation and frustration subside. I would rather have root canal done through my ear in a back alley using a old wine bottle cork opener than reinstall 3 pages of Simmarket, a dozen Flight 1 and enough Obyx that cost more than my 1st car.

Thanks you by calling that sim by its proper name, f-19. All the newbies around here keep referring to it as f-117A.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

The OP is using a decent CPU, he will be able to get good, smooth performance if he wants to.

I would get rid of all your tweaks, wind the sliders back until you've got a frame rate over 60 (or 100), and then start to re-add slider functions to get the right balance between performance and appearance.

As per the other thread, though, OP has traffic on sky-high settings and isn't willing to tone them down, as says this ruins enjoyment.

I think the focus is on finding a magic tweak when really P3D still needs some finesse with slider choices. I'm running a 1080Ti, but I've still had frame rates in the 5-and-below with certain test settings. There is no hardware on the planet that will allow you to fully max out this sim. 

If you want to break it with the sliders, you will break it with the sliders, and no tweak (or thousand-dollar CPU upgrade) is going to save you.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."