Sign in to follow this  
Piotr007

P3D V4 Stopped enjoying it. Time to reconsider the options.

Indeed, as Oz says... this sim allows you to max things beyond current hardware capabilities.. no machine out there is really ever going to run fully maxed out.. and even more modest setting are beyond what v3.4 offered, so.. dial back... take some time to find the limits for your hardware and then just enjoy...

• Upvote 2

What's killing your performance is the AI traffic.  I have almost the exact same specs except a 1070 GPU and I'm running well with all settings at max.  The only change I have made to the prepar3d.cfg is the LOD radius.  My advice:  drop the AI traffic and turn the framerate counter off.  As long as the sim is smooth that is what counts.  

ETA:  I have the same add-ons as well, and I've seen the same problem with AI traffic.  I've even had crashes that are caused by the AI traffic, so for now I'm flying without it and most of the time on VATSIM anyway.  

• Upvote 2

From reading the forums the OP has been hitting the forums heavy wanting year 2020 performance on a 2017 build, hahaha. P3Dv4 is not the fix all for FPS. Dial it back and find what works best for you. Until hardware improves or LM make changes to the CPU utilization you can throw all the money you want at it and your not going to see the results you dream of until then. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

IMHO also from many posts, I believe the OP does not have a realistic expectation of what P3D can do. I doubt he will ever be satisfied.

Vic

• Upvote 4

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Thanks you by calling that sim by its proper name, f-19. All the newbies around here keep referring to it as f-117A.

Microprose did both.....f19 and f117. F19 on 16 bit platforms was the original and best before the true design of the stealth fighter even existed. 

F117 was a remake of F19 which itself was a remake of Poject Stealth Fighter from the 8 bit Zx spectrum and C64 days

2 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Microprose did both.....f19 and f117. F19 on 16 bit platforms was the original and best before the true design of the stealth fighter even existed. 

F117 was a remake of F19 which itself was a remake of Poject Stealth Fighter from the 8 bit Zx spectrum and C64 days

Yes, that's true (except for the bit about it being a remake of some spectrum game, that sounds like heresy to me).

Amusingly, Microprose got the name of the plane they were simulating wrong, hence 'F-19', being released in 1988. When this sim gets mentioned - as it does quite a bit around here - I refer to those more familiar with the 1991 'F-117A' re-release/re-make as 'newbies'.

😊

Maybe OP can give F-19 a try, should be able to run that with all settings on max.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

For me, with ht off and no am, in prepar3d v3.4, when fps set unlimited, core 0 is about %50 and getting stutters...but with fps locked at 30, core 0 is about %95 and is very smooth almost with no stutters. Others cores almost same for both situation and gpu usage near %50. What do you think about my Experience? 

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

Piotr, make sure to set FPS unlimited and Vsync On in P3Dv4, then go to nVidia CP and create a custom resolution with 30Hz refresh. Go back to P3D and see the fluidity. Mind you if your monitor can't support 30Hz, you won't be able to achieve the same result with any external limiter. Only after this tweak you may want to try to play with AM. It's rather a narrow corridor to get there.

My story is the opposite. I've been a long time user of FSX-MS (with the DX10 Fixer) and been quietly on the fence over P3D since its inception, but never really felt it necessary to get in on the action. When v4 came out I bit the bullet and went for it, and I'm glad I did. At the moment I'm still running FSX and P3D side by side, but I definitely foresee using P3D more and more as time goes on. My system isn't a slouch but it isn't top end either, but for me P3D v4 just looks better and runs better and feels a lot more stable than FSX ever did. I'm seeing 35-40fps in situations where in FSX I'd struggle with 20fps, and that's with higher settings to boot. Even when in P3D it does drop down to circa 20fps (FlyTampa Toronto I've found particularly hard), it's far smoother than 20fps in FSX was, and if you didn't have the frame rate counter up you'd hardly notice.

Sorry for the gushing post, but for me as a new P3D convert, I love it!

• Upvote 2

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

49 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

My story is the opposite. I've been a long time user of FSX-MS (with the DX10 Fixer) and been quietly on the fence over P3D since its inception, but never really felt it necessary to get in on the action. When v4 came out I bit the bullet and went for it, and I'm glad I did. At the moment I'm still running FSX and P3D side by side, but I definitely foresee using P3D more and more as time goes on. My system isn't a slouch but it isn't top end either, but for me P3D v4 just looks better and runs better and feels a lot more stable than FSX ever did. I'm seeing 35-40fps in situations where in FSX I'd struggle with 20fps, and that's with higher settings to boot. Even when in P3D it does drop down to circa 20fps (FlyTampa Toronto I've found particularly hard), it's far smoother than 20fps in FSX was, and if you didn't have the frame rate counter up you'd hardly notice.

Sorry for the gushing post, but for me as a new P3D convert, I love it!

Going from 20 fps to 40 fps and with higher settings is extraordinary! That's a 100% increase 

ZORAN

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Yes, that's true (except for the bit about it being a remake of some spectrum game, that sounds like heresy to me).

Amusingly, Microprose got the name of the plane they were simulating wrong, hence 'F-19', being released in 1988. When this sim gets mentioned - as it does quite a bit around here - I refer to those more familiar with the 1991 'F-117A' re-release/re-make as 'newbies'.

😊

Maybe OP can give F-19 a try, should be able to run that with all settings on max.

Lol, it's true! I owned Project Stealth Fighter on Commodore 64 before the Amiga days. F19 was basically the exact same game but with much better graphics. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Stealth_Fighter

i destroyed many a submarine pen in gdansk in my youth 😄

5 hours ago, GHarrall said:

i destroyed many a submarine pen in gdansk in my youth 😄

I recall flying into Libya, bombing facilities there, and having to find my way back to Italy..

Bert

39 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I recall flying into Libya, bombing facilities there, and having to find my way back to Italy..

I remember flying my trusted F-15 over Syria. ;)

Hey guys,

on steam right now you can buy the following bundle:

Gunship, F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0, Fleet Defender: The F-14 Tomcat Simulation, Knights of the Sky, 1942: The Pacific Air War, F-19 Stealth Fighter, World War II GI

yep, you get f-117a and f-19. Gunship is also a great heli sim, that's the last time a I remember really enjoying flying a rotary wing.

cost? Well, it's 91% off at the moment, so that bundle will cost you $4.47. Or if that's way over your budget, you can just get f-19 for $1.74.

time to get those f-19's/F-117A's back in the air, lads.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

17 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Hey guys,

on steam right now you can buy the following bundle:

Gunship, F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0, Fleet Defender: The F-14 Tomcat Simulation, Knights of the Sky, 1942: The Pacific Air War, F-19 Stealth Fighter, World War II GI

yep, you get f-117a and f-19. Gunship is also a great heli sim, that's the last time a I remember really enjoying flying a rotary wing.

cost? Well, it's 91% off at the moment, so that bundle will cost you $4.47. Or if that's way over your budget, you can just get f-19 for $1.74.

time to get those f-19's/F-117A's back in the air, lads.

Just saw this on steam myself. Looks a really good deal and at that price, who cares if it feels out of date? :)