Sign in to follow this  
MarioG75

Getting the best out of FSX

Hi, I'm pretty new to getting FSX addons and such and I would appreciate help with tweaking my system to get the best performance. I know my specs are below par and I am working on getting better components but I would really appreciate some tweaks/help to get the best out of my current system.

Specs:
CPU - AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
RAM - 8GB
Storage - 200GB SSD and 500GB HDD
ASRock MOBO

The AVSIM guide is definitely the way to go, I would also say don't go mad adding lots of complex aircraft and tweaking. I used to run FSX on a old dual core with an ATI 4870 GFX card when i first started and got very smooth performance using the guide.

• Upvote 2

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Yeah I think you are right, I have some basic addons like Aerosoft A320 ORBX global and then a few airports but nothing overboard. I'll load up a new fsx.cfg file and try out the guide. Also is there any good guides as far as AMD GPU settings go? All i seem to see is NVIDIA stuff. 

Upon resetting my cfg file and applying the changes from the guide I havent seen a massive performance boost. I get around 9-14 fps in vc in aerosoft a320 and aerosoft frankfurt and 12-16 outside view. If i take frankfurt out of the equation and go to a default airport fps goes up by around 5-8 in each view. Is my system just unable for the 2 addons or is there anything i can do to increase it a bit more (just looking for something flyable not necessarily high fps)

AMD processors and graphics cards simply do not perform as well as Intel processors and Nvidia graphics cards when it comes to FSX.  I suggest you keep the graphics sliders pushed towards the left side.  You might be able to overclock the CPU and get a little performance boost.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.