Sign in to follow this  
FlightSim1234

Not stopping after landing.

I have noticed that in real life, pilots usually don't need to stop once they have exited the runway - clearly they either know the first few taxiways or the full route of their taxi clearance. Is there any way to taxi from the runway to the gate in FSX without stopping, as currently I don't know where my taxi route will take me until I request taxi clearance from ATC, which I can only do once I have exited the runway, forcing me to stop and listen for instructions.

What's your rush?  If you are flying a commercial jet, you will need to raise your flaps, and lower

your spoilers, turn off landing lights, etc before taxiing to your parking spot.  I have been given the

option, although rarely, to contact Ground Control before exiting the runway.  Are you using

progressive taxi or are you trying to memorize the route?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

@charliearon - it is not that I am in a rush, I just wanted to make it seem more realistic. When I see pilots in real life exiting the runway and then taxiing straight to the gate, it makes it feel far less realistic when using FSX and waiting for clearance every time I land.

In real life, these pilots already know ahead of time which gates they will probably be heading to or at

least they know where their terminal is and they get their gate assignment as they approach the

terminal.  I'm sure the copilot is in contact with Ground just after touchdown getting any necessary

info to help guide the pilot.

ATC in FSX is just not that sophisticated.  Not sure if the payware ATC programs are, either.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

@charliearon - I guessed this would be the case, but wanted to make sure. It is a shame that there is not a work around to try and find out which gate you will be assigned or being able to choose your gate before landing.

11 minutes ago, FlgihtSim123 said:

@charliearon - I guessed this would be the case, but wanted to make sure. It is a shame that there is not a work around to try and find out which gate you will be assigned or being able to choose your gate before landing.

You could just fudge it a bit and go park at any gate you want.  Ground won't send the cops after you!:happy:

Charlie Aron

and  in rw  life  there are 2  pilots

35 minutes ago, FlgihtSim123 said:

if  your  using  a 3rd party  atc  addon its possible,  pf3   allows  you  to enter  the gate to  which  you want  to park and  once  you exit  the  runway  you will get  taxi guidance  to your  gate

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

39 minutes ago, FlgihtSim123 said:

I just use whatever gate the real world flight uses so I know where to go and take a look at the ground chart for taxi routes in cruise as part of my approach briefing. Default ATC will tell me to go somewhere else anyway.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

12 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

and  in rw  life  there are 2  pilots

if  your  using  a 3rd party  atc  addon its possible,  pf3   allows  you  to enter  the gate to  which  you want  to park and  once  you exit  the  runway  you will get  taxi guidance  to your  gate

Thanks for this info - I may consider some addons in the future, but for now I'll probably just put up with the FSX ATC.

8 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I just use whatever gate the real world flight uses so I know where to go and take a look at the ground chart for taxi routes in cruise as part of my approach briefing. Default ATC will tell me to go somewhere else anyway.

I would do that, but the issue is I get AI parked in my gate - it would be good if you could secure the gate and make sure AI can't park in it while on approach/on the runway.

Hi Folks,

I always stop after leaving the runway...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

3 hours ago, FlgihtSim123 said:

I would do that, but the issue is I get AI parked in my gate - it would be good if you could secure the gate and make sure AI can't park in it while on approach/on the runway.

Happens to me too occasionally. I then just go for a gate close to 'mine' which is free.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

Happens to me too occasionally. I then just go for a gate close to 'mine' which is free.

Having tried some different ideas, I found the best option for me was to use GSX - I can choose a gate for ground services when on approach or on the runway and then navigate myself to the gate, without the ATC, hoping an AI aircraft doesn't beat me there. The only thing I am trying to figure out is how to generate a route from the runway to my chosen gate - I would use your method of using charts, but many airports have changed since the release of FSX, so I'm guessing a lot of the charts would not match the airport layout in the game?

27 minutes ago, FlgihtSim123 said:

Having tried some different ideas, I found the best option for me was to use GSX - I can choose a gate for ground services when on approach or on the runway and then navigate myself to the gate, without the ATC, hoping an AI aircraft doesn't beat me there. The only thing I am trying to figure out is how to generate a route from the runway to my chosen gate - I would use your method of using charts, but many airports have changed since the release of FSX, so I'm guessing a lot of the charts would not match the airport layout in the game?

Gave you an answer in your next thread.  Edit your Username!  FlightSim123 is the correct spelling.

Charlie Aron

10 hours ago, charliearon said:

Gave you an answer in your next thread.  Edit your Username!  FlightSim123 is the correct spelling.

Obviously I know that isn't how you spell it - I realised my mistake as soon as I signed up, but I cannot find how to change it.

Edit: Ignore that above, I just took another look in the settings and managed to find out how to change it.

Just now, FlightSim1234 said:

I've never experienced that ground charts and FSX/P3D addon airports don't coincide.