Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

High Altitude Far Away City Lighting

Is it just me, or is it nearly impossible to see far away cities in P3Dv4?  I have PTA with Thopat's preset, however, even by default I couldn't see far away cities.  I have tried increasing "urban areas lighting at night" field in PTA, but this just makes the roads and highways unbelievably bright - It does nothing for the underlaying textures of urban areas at night.  In v3, I could see the glow from cities out to the horizon and am really curious if any of you know how to achieve this in v4?

Regards,

Rob

I assume you are using FTX global as the P3D default night textures are nice a bright and the cities show up in the distance very nicely. I actually like the default night lighting but I use FTX global and unfortunately loose those night textures.

PTA is the fix however not perfect and yes the roads are too bright.

IM

I do use FTX global.  However, I also did in v3 and never had this issue.  I feel ORBX must've changed a few things in the v4 version.

-Rob

FTX is great for low level flyers and looks even better in P3Dv4 because the autogen shows further in the distance. However once you get to airliner altitude the night lighting fades away. 

We need some FTX people to modify the night ground textures for the tube flyers.

IM

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Iceman2 said:

FTX is great for low level flyers and looks even better in P3Dv4 because the autogen shows further in the distance. However once you get to airliner altitude the night lighting fades away. 

We need some FTX people to modify the night ground textures for the tube flyers.

IM

Or maybe just waiting for V4 compatible version of this configurator?

Happy flying,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

24 minutes ago, ffantasy67 said:

Or maybe just waiting for V4 compatible version of this configurator?

Happy flying,

It's not really the 3d lights that seem to be the problem.  I'm referring to the luminosity of urban ground textures, irrespective of the 3d lights.  In v3, they had a certain luminance all the way out to the horizon, and became really pronounced when adjusting the "urban areas night lighting" feature in PTA.  In v4, it seems tweaking that feature in PTA just changes the brightness of the roads.  It seems that it is an issue with FTX Global and FTX regions, which is strange because I had all of those back in v3 as well and didn't have this issue.  I would be interested in seeing a screenshot from someone who doesn't use FTX global at night above FL300.

Regards,

Rob

Alright, so I was doing some testing and I actually got it to look "right".

v4_TEST6.jpg

^^This is what I'm referring too.  You can see the distant glow of far away cities.  In order to achieve this, I restored the default P3Dv4 shaders and then only tweaked the "urban area lighting at night" feature in PTA.  I set it to max, which is 15.0.  This is taken over ZSPD with Global.  So now I know that it is not a Global issue.  However, the default shaders don't look very good in the daytime.  Does anybody whose good at PTA know what option could cause this and know how to tweak THOPAT's profile to get distant cities to show up?

Regards,

Rob