Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Just upgraded to a GTX 1070...

From a GTX 970...

So my system is now i7 4790k 4.4Ghz, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM.  I've only swapped out the graphics card and had a couple of hours last night to set it up.  I find in P3D, I previously used FSX Steam edition anything less than 4xSSAA produces terrible shimmering, something which really annoys me.  On my 970 with 4xSSAA the GPU load would quickly reach 100%.  I'm hoping the extra VRAM gives me a bit more breathing room.

Anyone else performed a similar upgrade and what have been the results?

Cheers
Sid

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

I'm hoping to move from a 1060 3GB to a 1080 8GB, so am interested in what sort of performance upgrade to expect too.

Hi Sid

I'm considering the exact same move as you. Perhaps you can feed back your findings on this thread so I can build a case for upgrade and dazzle the 'Mrs' with science thus securing a 1070 for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

Derek

19 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

From a GTX 970...

So my system is now i7 4790k 4.4Ghz, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM.  I've only swapped out the graphics card and had a couple of hours last night to set it up.  I find in P3D, I previously used FSX Steam edition anything less than 4xSSAA produces terrible shimmering, something which really annoys me.  On my 970 with 4xSSAA the GPU load would quickly reach 100%.  I'm hoping the extra VRAM gives me a bit more breathing room.

Anyone else performed a similar upgrade and what have been the results?

Cheers
Sid

With regards to shimmering (I've had this issue too and it is indeed quite annoying) try turning off HDR lighting.  For some reason with that on it makes the shimmering much worse.  Even at 4x SSAA it would be bad.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

14 minutes ago, Killieboy64 said:

Hi Sid

I'm considering the exact same move as you. Perhaps you can feed back your findings on this thread so I can build a case for upgrade and dazzle the 'Mrs' with science thus securing a 1070 for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

Derek

Yea will do matey.  I only have the A2A Comanche in P3Dv4.  I'm waiting for the 737 NGX or Fslabs A320 to really stress test the card, unfortunately both these purchases were on FSX so need to buy again.

Thomas Derbyshire

15 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

With regards to shimmering (I've had this issue too and it is indeed quite annoying) try turning off HDR lighting.  For some reason with that on it makes the shimmering much worse.  Even at 4x SSAA it would be bad.

Thanks for that, the shimmering on anything less than 4xSSAA is pretty bad in P3D but of course this comes with a performance penalty, hence the upgrade to a 1070.  The card cost me £379.99 which was hard to get past the missus in the first place lol.  I didn't have the heart to tell her how much a 1080 or higher was.

Thomas Derbyshire

4 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Thanks for that, the shimmering on anything less than 4xSSAA is pretty bad in P3D but of course this comes with a performance penalty, hence the upgrade to a 1070.  The card cost me £379.99 which was hard to get past the missus in the first place lol.  I didn't have the heart to tell her how much a 1080 or higher was.

I'm on a 1060 as well and am curious as to what type of performance upgrade I would get with a 1070 or 1080.  Honestly it's probably not worth the cost because I run mid to high settings and it does fine minus the shimmering and jaggies on the further away airport markings like on taxiways.  It's still much better than V3 though.

I just bought the PMDG 777 and that was hard enough to get the wife to agree to.  She'd probably kill me in my sleep if I went out and got a 1080.:laugh:

• Upvote 1

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

1 minute ago, sfgiants13 said:

I just bought the PMDG 777 and that was hard enough to get the wife to agree to.  She'd probably kill me in my sleep if I went out and got a 1080.:laugh:

The joys of being single.  lol

Regards
bs

• Upvote 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

25 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

I'm on a 1060 as well and am curious as to what type of performance upgrade I would get with a 1070 or 1080.  Honestly it's probably not worth the cost because I run mid to high settings and it does fine minus the shimmering and jaggies on the further away airport markings like on taxiways.  It's still much better than V3 though.

I'm not recommending this but I've made many upgrades to my PC over many years and it's been between me and my PC.  The only danger comes when the delivery person appears and I'm not there.  I have had things delivered to the office in the past as it is so much easier than hearing the inevitable, "why do you need that?"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Just to be clear in my original post I said I'm upgrading from a 4GB 970 (well 3.5 really) to an 8GB 1070.  I'll report my experience as I begin to use it more.

Thomas Derbyshire

3 hours ago, sidfadc said:

...Fslabs A320 .. both these purchases were on FSX so need to buy again.

I suggest you go to the FSLabs site today or very soon so you can take advantage of the $40 upgrade price for the P3D license. That will end once the v4 version is released, which is due in the next few weeks. 

Don't miss out! 

• Upvote 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

I also am thinking of moving from a GTX 970 to a 1070 so I will watch this thread with interest.

Thanks, 

Darcy

I am using a 1070 since quite a while. Unfortunately, it seems to be too weak when it comes to Dynamic Lighting / 4xSSAA / Landing Lights ON / PMDG747 ... that's my experience.

With HDR ON, shimmering is bad with less than 4xSSAA. Only comprise I found is HDR OFF / 4x or 8x MSAA. 

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Even an overclocked 1080 Ti is too weak for 4xSSAA and Dynamic Lights, I've discovered. Not sure what kind of mutant implementation they've worked in with those dynamic lights but when one, single light source can bring one of the fastest graphics cards on the market to its knees, just because of some supersampling, then there's something wrong. I've found the other AA steps below work a lot better but I also get a lot of weird shimmer on vegetation when in the air, almost looks like a heat shimmer on bushes especially, which can only be mitigated by 4xSSAA and above. Else I'd definitely just use 8xMSAA + MFAA.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Am also watching this thread with interest as have a GTX 970 and was thinking about going the 1070 route, I wonder why AA takes such a performance hit, is this a DX11 thing?

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer