Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Just upgraded to a GTX 1070...

3 hours ago, sfgiants13 said:

I'm on a 1060 as well and am curious as to what type of performance upgrade I would get with a 1070 or 1080.  Honestly it's probably not worth the cost because I run mid to high settings and it does fine minus the shimmering and jaggies on the further away airport markings like on taxiways.  It's still much better than V3 though.

I just bought the PMDG 777 and that was hard enough to get the wife to agree to.  She'd probably kill me in my sleep if I went out and got a 1080.:laugh:

I am on a 1060 with 6g and getting good performance in V4. I found its all in the settings. At this point i am going to wait and not upgrade to a 1080ti as I don't feel the performance gain is worth the price. What I did was set my 40" 4k  tv to 30 hz and then set NVI to locked frames at 20 then in the simulator run vsync on with unlimited frames, 4xSSAA. This has given me smooth performance and crystal clear visuals. Even in heavy clouded conditions I don't see the frames dropping. When ORBX starts releasing there airports then we will see if we need to do a upgrade or not.

I locked my frames at 20 in NVI as that was the average frames I was getting with the 1060.  I am using Southern Cal LA basin area for all my testing. Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

When I replaced my 2 970s in SLI with 1 1070 I wasn't happy with the performance but got all of it back and more when I added another 1070.

Regards
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

5 hours ago, ricka47 said:

I'm not recommending this but I've made many upgrades to my PC over many years and it's been between me and my PC.  The only danger comes when the delivery person appears and I'm not there.  I have had things delivered to the office in the past as it is so much easier than hearing the inevitable, "why do you need that?"

Haha, a job delivery ! Unbeatable ! :laugh:

Been there done that... :blush::ph34r:

2 hours ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

I am on a 1060 with 6g and getting good performance in V4. I found its all in the settings. At this point i am going to wait and not upgrade to a 1080ti as I don't feel the performance gain is worth the price. What I did was set my 40" 4k  tv to 30 hz and then set NVI to locked frames at 20 then...

I locked my frames at 20 in NVI as that was the average frames I was getting with the 1060.  I am using Southern Cal LA basin area for all my testing. Josh

Having 1080 and lock frames at 20 !?

Now that's something I so wouldn't be able to force myself into.

7 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Thanks for that, the shimmering on anything less than 4xSSAA is pretty bad in P3D but of course this comes with a performance penalty, hence the upgrade to a 1070.  The card cost me £379.99 which was hard to get past the missus in the first place lol.  I didn't have the heart to tell her how much a 1080 or higher was.

You could of added the cost of the GTX1080Ti, to your total divorce proceedings.  

Point 1.  You could amortize the cost over let's say five years.

Point 2. You'd have nobody to tell you to shut down the computer and attend to the 'Honey Do' list...thereby max'ing the usage thereof!

You missed out on a great opportunity...could have got that GTX1080Ti, instead of the 1070, and the time to use it, in one fell swoop!   :biggrin:

Just recieved my 1080ti yesterday morning and installed today.  The improvement from a 980ti to a 1080ti was significant for my system which is an I7-7700K @ 4.5.  The sim just runs smoother at my 4K 30hz setting than it did with my 980ti.  I'm happy with my upgrade and feel it was well worth the $900 for the card.

Sean Green

I just swapped my 970 for a 1070 FTW, but I have not yet installed P3D v4, still running v3.

Frame rates so far are improved, and I think the extra VRAM helps when flying heavier AC into FB KSFO with ORBX NCA and Vector.  I noticed my available VAS drops into 5 digits, but all the textures render well and it seems smoother than with the 970.

Knock on wood, no "DXGI_DEVICE_HANG" messages (yet).  I am using 376.33 nVidia driver. 

Stephen Forsgren

12 hours ago, sidfadc said:

From a GTX 970...

So my system is now i7 4790k 4.4Ghz, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM.  I've only swapped out the graphics card and had a couple of hours last night to set it up.  I find in P3D, I previously used FSX Steam edition anything less than 4xSSAA produces terrible shimmering, something which really annoys me.  On my 970 with 4xSSAA the GPU load would quickly reach 100%.  I'm hoping the extra VRAM gives me a bit more breathing room.

Anyone else performed a similar upgrade and what have been the results?

Cheers
Sid

The 1070 is a good enough card. Your problem is not 4XSSAA it is 4XSSAA AT NIGHT with dynamic lighting. I have the 1080 and monitored the GPU load using 4XSSAA and 8XSSAA. And at night at a payware airport both inside and certainly outside low double digit to single digit fps and 100% GPU loads.. In the day time good frames but your GPU load with 8XSSAA  in external and internal views is 100%. If you go down to 4XSSAA it's 100% external views GPU load and 65-70% internal. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

12 hours ago, sgreen91 said:

Just recieved my 1080ti yesterday morning and installed today.  The improvement from a 980ti to a 1080ti was significant for my system which is an I7-7700K @ 4.5.  The sim just runs smoother at my 4K 30hz setting than it did with my 980ti.  I'm happy with my upgrade and feel it was well worth the $900 for the card.

7700K + GTX 1070 is enough and v4 runs excellent on it. 1080Ti is overpriced, unless you have burning cash to spend.

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

26 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

7700K + GTX 1070 is enough and v4 runs excellent on it. 1080Ti is overpriced, unless you have burning cash to spend.

I do agree but it was my wifes gift to me after getting our daughter put through college.  

• Upvote 2

Sean Green

34 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

You mean "unless you use 4K"

Well I was planning on ordering my MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 this week but the prices have skyrocketed to over $500 thanks to all the cryptocurrency nonsense.

I will not pay $540 for a $400 gpu. 

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

6 hours ago, Dazkent said:

Am sure they will come down in price again :)

The GTX 1080's seem to have gone down in price...some of them anyways. Very tempting.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

14 hours ago, Dazkent said:

Am sure they will come down in price again :)

8 hours ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

The GTX 1080's seem to have gone down in price...some of them anyways. Very tempting.

Problem is Bitcoin cost. Currently mining mania is running, this is reason why you cant find stock RX570/580, 1060 and currently miners focus on 1070 and 1080. Prices goes up as there is no cards in stores. Yes some expensive editions stays at stock, but price/performance is bad. Why buy GTX1060 for 9000CZK (~24 CZK = 1 USD) when you can find 1070 for 10000CZK (currently that cheap are out of stock only 14k CZK stays, but 1080 starts at 15k CZK and cheapes 1080Ti starst under 20k).

Until bitcoin stays high we can't expect price drop for midrange cards and propably can expect price increase for lowend and high end.

BTW 1070 and 1080 prices drops down when GTX1080Ti arrived. 1070 goes down for 30-40USD, 1080 for 100USD.

For OP. For reduce shimmering try DSR instad of SSAA, in fact, it do mostly same - render in highner resolution and downscale.

Second option is use of 4xMSAA with transparency AA set in NI to 4xSparseGridSupersampling.

Second one is high performance hit with heavy clouds and not sure if 1070 is enough for 4xMSAA+4xSGSS. Lower values do not work that good and higher... there is not enough power 

Hi!

After read some posts now my simple question is: "What is the best hardware at the present to have a smooth flight with payware sceneries, HDR, dynamic lighting, not necessary with all settings at max?" Yesterday I made a test with Flightbeam KIAD scenery, PMDG 777. Without landing lights and runway lights I have about 30/35fps (at night and with dynamic lighting). When I switch them on fps drop at around 18/20fps. I have a GTX970 with an I7-4770K OC@4.10Ghz

Thanks!

Regards, Max

• Upvote 1

Massimo Solimbergo | MY PC =  MoBo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H CPU: Intel I7-9700K + Noctua NH-D15 RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2400Mhz CL15 GPU: GTX1080 SSD: Samsung 970EVO+ 1TB + 970PRO 512 GB + 840 PRO 512GB OS: Win11 Pro 64 Monitor: Samsung SJ55W PERIF: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + TPR SIM:  MSFS + P3D v5.3  WX: ASP4+ASCA+TOGA EnvText+REX EF Planes: FSLabs A320 | PMDG 777-737-747 Sceneries: ORBX | FlightBeam | FSDreamteam | Simwings | Aerosoft | FlyTampa | 29Palms | UK2000 Utilities: Navigraph FMS+Charts Subscription  VA: UKvirtual (www.ukvirtual.co.uk) Online Flying Network: VATSIM with VPilot