Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

EFIS on CDU after update.

I just ran the Control panel and let it run an update.

When I brought up the plane in V4 I saw a new feature on the CDU, about EFIS.  When I click on CTRL PNL OFF I get this EICAS message.

What is this?  I'm a little confused why I'd get an EICAS message.  I didn't see any difference in the cockpit's switch configuration.

Screen shots.

nPnEnoq.jpg

QpfTt1H.jpg

Jack Sawyer

6 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

What is this?  I'm a little confused why I'd get an EICAS message.  I didn't see any difference in the cockpit's switch configuration.

You wouldn't see a difference in the flight deck switch config. The ONLY place you are going to see flight deck config changes is in the PMDG SETUP> menus, where you make all of those changes.

What you're seeing is an EICAS message telling you that you are controlling the EICAS using the CDU (specifically the left one, thus the "L" at the end of the message).

Click on SELECT and have a look around. You're in a simulation. Spend a little bit of time messing around with things, instead of immediately rushing to the forum on the assumption that something is wrong. You can't break anything, so you might as well, and you would've learned quite a bit in the process without the wasted time typing all of it out, and waiting for a response.

Heck, I'd even say I'd encourage it:
Try to 'break' the plane and figure out how to get it back to how it should be. If you can't, just close the sim, and then you might want to ask for advice. Still...don't be afraid of the plane and the messages. You did something a little non-standard, so the plane is advising you of that fact. Nothing more. Clicking on SELECT would've let you to a little better understanding of what the function is there for. Go back and give it a try.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, sorry to bother you, I would hope you'd have a little more patience.

I saw this and it looks new in the main menu, is it?  That's ALL I wanted to know, is if this is something NEW.

That's all I wanted to know.

Sheesh, sorry I bothered you, I'll have to find answers elsewhere. Not EVERYONE is 100% up to see on this plane you know.

Jack Sawyer

5 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Kyle, sorry to bother you, I would hope you'd have a little more patience.

I saw this and it looks new in the main menu, is it?  That's ALL I wanted to know, is if this is something NEW.

That's all I wanted to know.

Sheesh, sorry I bothered you, I'll have to find answers elsewhere. Not EVERYONE is 100% up to see on this plane you know.

It didn't bother me, really. I'm just trying to encourage you to poke around a bit more on your own. You seem like you're eager to get your hands into stuff, but are unnecessarily holding yourself back from trying things out. It's somewhat of a natural response, I understand, but when it comes to those who know about computers, and those who are still somewhat baffled by them, the real distinction between them is that the latter simply forges ahead on occasion to look around and see. Same goes for our plane, here.

You were right there. All you needed to do was click on either one of the prompts that appeared, and by clicking around in those menus it would all start to make sense. As I mentioned over in the PFPX thread, someone can certainly type it out here, but if you're already there and can get some actual experience with it, it'll make a lot more sense. Me describing it in words can only go so far. That's why we make a huge difference between ground school and flight school in this community: the definition of IFR is and instrument scans is all well and good, but actually having the experience of operating the plane by instruments alone is really where it all comes together.

So, I'm sorry for the gruff response, but I do wholly believe that you'd do yourself a lot of good by simply poking around a bit further than you're currently allowing yourself - here with the 744, or over there in the PFPX thread. In both cases, you're right there short of the answer. Just step back for a second and observe what's going on and try to process all of it. I promise you that pushing yourself just a little further will really help you understand all of this so much better in the long run.

The forum is, of course, here to help. I'm just here trying to push you out of your knowledge comfort zone a bit.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, I appreciate it.

So far today I have managed to import a flight plan into the 747 by using Mr. Cooke's advice.  He gave me two methods, one worked and the other did not.

I have to save the PFPX flight plan to the PMDG flight plan folder in my V4 SSD drive.

Then I have to type it manually as I did, KBOSKEWR03.  Then I think I hit execute and it was all there.  Then I had to figure the weights, fuel, SID and STAR, just playing with it and learning.

However, maybe it's me getting old but I don't recall seeing this EFIS option on the main menu screen before.  Is it new after the update I did today?

Jack Sawyer

It's covered in the FCOM.  That is the first place I go for answers and after using it for awhile one becomes acquainted with it and knows about where to find the information.  Ctrl+F is used a lot. 

Dan Downs KCRP

1 minute ago, downscc said:

It's covered in the FCOM.  That is the first place I go for answers and after using it for awhile one becomes acquainted with it and knows about where to find the information.  Ctrl+F is used a lot. 

I usually do to. And I will.   But CTRL+F couldn't find SPEED CONFIG though.

So no one can answer if this is something new or not?  I did not modify any settings yet in the CDU and now it's simply there?

Jack Sawyer

It's always been there, the 777 has a similar feature.  True, the speed config issue isn't covered in the book and last I read the problem was related to not setting v-speeds I think?  Regardless, I think you'll find that 98% of everything is in the FCOM and QRH.

Dan Downs KCRP

5 minutes ago, downscc said:

It's always been there, the 777 has a similar feature.  True, the speed config issue isn't covered in the book and last I read the problem was related to not setting v-speeds I think?  Regardless, I think you'll find that 98% of everything is in the FCOM and QRH.

You're right, my bust.  Sorry for posting about this.  I see it in the tutorial, man do I feel sheepish.  Not much sleep last night will do that I guess.

Jack Sawyer

There is nothing to be sorry about right?  In real life, like in a pilot's lounge waiting for a flight that's were most of the learning occur, talking to each other about things.  This forum is sort of like that, but yeah definitely look into manuals, that were the answer lies most of the time.  

I just tried to fly from KBOS to KEWR, got it all set up, flew to almost TOD and my PC from solid again.  Twice now and the one thing in common is AS4.  I can make the Colorado San Fran flight fine without real weather.  I wonder if the PC is getting too hot.  There's no dust, I have 16GB or RAM, but the fans were really going.

I have a British friend who lays the new 747 in FSX on a Mac computer emulated in Windows and never has OOM's and can fly it for 18 hours!  This PC was built by Jetline specifically for flight sim two and a half years ago.

I have waited years for this and the PC freezes solid, I have to do a hard reboot.

Such is life. Trying to contact them but sometimes it takes days before I get a call.

:huh:

Jack Sawyer