Sign in to follow this  
joepoway

How not to mess up a perfectly good P3Dv4 install?

The following is a recent article in Simgazine by Robert Randazzo     

How not to mess up a perfectly good Prepare3D installation 

http://www.simgazine.com/how-not-to-mess-up-a-perfectly-good-prepare3d-installation-by-robert-randazzo/

Myself and others find it interesting that  PMDG's 777 v4  still puts tons of files in Simobjects within P3Dv4 as Orbx doesn't install outside of P3Dv4 either.

But my question is this:

I recently added MT6 to my P3Dv4 install using the external my documents Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder with the appropriate add-on.xml file and everything works well and I didn't have to edit any files within P3Dv4 at all. This process seems to follow the same method that A2A is using when I added the recently released aircraft (C172 and T6) for P3Dv4 and I am quite happy with this approach and am not worried about C: drive memory issues with having P3Dv4 and add-ons on the same drive.

However I am concerned after reading the above article and others that the method I and many others have used for MT6 and the RA Duke Turbine will still cause some sort of internal conflict with P3Dv4 in terms of either things that still get written to P3Dv4 internally when it sees the new add-on and we acknowledge acceptance of the new add-on.xml file or the fact that the installed version of MT6 although outside of P3Dv4 is not really compatible with it. Perhaps either of these factors could cause potential performance issues?

Can anyone shed any light on these concerns or add to my understanding of this potential issue or anything Robert Randazzo touches upon?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

It was originally posted here on Avsim and not at Simgazine.   It's a large thread to peruse.

And because it has been discussed over and over - I'm shutting this down.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors