Sign in to follow this  
Guest dogknot

Mt Rainier Scenery Project - Freeware, Soon to be Uploa...

Since last Oct. I have been working on project to upgrade Mt Rainier Nat'l Park in the state of Washington. The currently inactive volcano dominates the skyline of Puget Sound and is the backdoor of Microsofts Head Office. Given the scenery dominance of this mountain, it has always been a bit of a surprise to me that the Flightsim team didn't make a significant effort to produce a super enhanced version of that area within the simulator.The project started out as a fun project to place the hiking trails into the flightsim scenery, however the project grew into much more.Anyway, since I have a deep personal attachment to the area, I decided to see what I could do to beef up the look of the Nat'l Park area. I took my lead from that great work that Holger Sandmann had done just south of this area with his Columbia River Gorge and to the north with the North Cascades scenery.I will soon be uploading this freeware scenery. While its not prefect and there are a few issues it can be fun to fly around low and slow.I have support from Mr. Lou Frost in Spokane who is beta testing the work and specializes in the design of objects and is working to provide improvements to the area as well.Here are some screenshots of the scenery at this point. Enjoy.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

It looks marvelous! I'll be definitely adding it to my FS world when you release. Can't wait to go flying in the vicinity and enjoy it.

I've seen you mention about this project before and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the completed item.

Great stuff. Despite living on the other side of the world, this part of America has become very familiar to me thanks to FS9. I feel I know that mountain..Maybe I'll see it for real one day. IanEGLL (mountain free zone)

Guest deKoven

>Great stuff. Despite living on the other side of the world,>this part of America has become very familiar to me thanks to>FS9. I feel I know that mountain..>>Maybe I'll see it for real one day. >>Ian>EGLL (mountain free zone)>>Well I DO know the mountain (one radio station around here uses that phrase) and I say that you've really nailed it this time. I'm currently living northwards about an hour but lived in Seattle for 38 years. Another area I'd really like to see is/are the Cascade peaks just east of the Everett area. Anyone for climbing Mt. Shuksan?:D

Guest Bell206freak

Brian.. That scenery looks excellent!

Very nice indeed. Well Done!Now you can rest a while before starting on a even nicer FSX version! :D

I have been living in Washington all my life and enjoy our Mountain!You have really captured a great likeness to it!Great work :DKevin

Thanks folks. There are a couple of phases to this scenery. I will put out the base scenery first, which is all the landscape stuff then objects and some special enhancements like waterfalls effects, campground effects etc.It is not perfect but certain better than the default. Hey and it will be free, what more can you ask.I am just completing my documentation. Maybe available by weekend.

Near CAM3

I have downloaded and installed the scenery but my computer crashes at about 58% when trying to load it - any idea what's wrong?NigelVancouver

If anyone else has any problem with crashes please advise, I haven't heard of any. Meanwhile Nigel and I are dealing with this offline through PM's.

Near CAM3